Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
87 Integra
2 Posts
This is our build thread that will document our progress on our 87 Integra. We aren’t going to be doing the usual pictures with text, instead we are making videos to document our progress. Here is the first video of our progress so far. New videos to come soon. Stay tuned.

Our post count is to low to post a direct link, but here is the address you can copy into your browser.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use to own a 1st gen integra. Mine was very abused and didn't last long but I did love the styling and it drove pretty nice. I see you're in Tyler, I'm in Houston. I bought my CRX from a guy in Tyler back in 2004ish. Nice city.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
You can use the [ youtube ] gM8gJRpwtnM [ /youtube ] link instead, like this:

Nothing against you and your friend, but I'd probably enjoy this more as a regular forum post rather than a video (maybe post it as an optional piece).

I usually jump around for info to comment on, and with a video that's extremely annoying. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
87 Integra
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. We might consider doing that in the future, but for now we are going to continue on with the video series.

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
BWAHAAHAAAHAAA! Ever heard of a Ball Joint Fork? :surrender:

In the future, always try to break loose your bolts/nuts with a ...wait for it...a Breaker Bar! Don't put the stress on your ratchets...they will last longer!

...you guys look like you're having fun? :popcorn:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Eh, I gotta be honest the videos are quite boring. I can't finish them and end up just skimming through it trying to find something interesting. The music has got to go. I get it, it's probably some royalty free stuff so you don't get busted by YouTube but there are other options. Check out audioblocks.com for a wider selection of music if you're not up to making your own.

The narrations are so dry and when you guys are speaking in front of the camera, it looks like a well rehearsed middle school project video. Try to make the conversation between you and the audience seem more natural and throw some vocal inflection in there once in a while.

Cut to the chase: The overall subject really isn't that interesting. It's a budget build with a shitty car. Do we really need to see every nut and bolt come out? Let's see some condensed content and more frequently rather than a long drawn out video with long video release intervals. If it were up to me, I would have waited until the car was complete to release the videos. (Something I'm working on now actually with a video series for FeaturedGarage)

I'm not saying all this to totally destroy you guys. I'm saying this because you have a new YouTube channel and I'd hate to see this fail. Just offering some advice because honestly I'm not at all excited for future releases. Best of luck to you guys.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,940 Posts
My wife is trying to get into the youtube thing as well so I understand the drive behind making the videos. Since I've been dealing with similar things, I have a few suggestions for you:

1.) Air/electric/battery ratchets/wrenches will help speed up some of the tedious bolt removals. Notice that on all of those Sunday morning car shows, they use cordless battery-operated impacts and ratchets.

2.) Time lapse the boring/tedious stuff and focus more on some of the common problem areas like the bitch (spring) pin, how to remove the axle nuts, how to remove the lower ball joint correctly, how to remove the rotor set screws, etc. A lot of these things can be done with jerry-rigged tools and neat little tricks. Focusing more on these common trouble areas and less on removing the power steering equipment will keep the viewer more interested.

"Hey guys, this spring pin is a common trouble point. An 8mm diameter punch is the correct tool for the job but a spare xxx bolt or xxx deep socket can be used in it's place"

"These rotor set screws can be a pain. I like to use my impact wrench with these $7 harbor freight Screwdriver Bit Socket set but if you don't have an impact, you can drill out the screw heads and remove the screws with vice grips"

Shit like that...

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,016 Posts
BWAHAAHAAAHAAA! Ever heard of a Ball Joint Fork? :surrender:

In the future, always try to break loose your bolts/nuts with a ...wait for it...a Breaker Bar! Don't put the stress on your ratchets...they will last longer!...you guys look like you're having fun? :popcorn:

this. you don't know how many times my dad threatened to kick my ass for breaking a ratchet. or how many cheap Chinese tools I went through because I wasn't allowed to use his or my grandpa's craftsman. hell, hes still pretty salty (and I don't blame him) for breaking one of my grandpa's old school ratchets. I still feel bad about that.

pickle forks work, or the specific ball joint tool, also smacking the ball joint with a hammer

·
Registered
339 Posts
Unless a ball joint is being replaced, a pickle fork is not an ideal tool to use to separate them. 99% of the time you will damage the dust boot which will result in premature failure. That other tool slo showed will work but I've seen them go flying or break when too much tension is applied, so use eye protection.

In my opinion the best way to separate a ball joint is to hammer on whatever the ball joint is going through. For example, say you are trying to remove the lower ball joint from the control arm - whack the shit out of that control arm right on that raised nub where the ball joint is going through the arm. Heat helps sometimes too but you have to be careful not to melt the dust boot.

As already stated, impact tools such as impact wrenches and air hammers are a mechanics best friend when removing stuck parts.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Im with ^, heavy small hammer, some upward pressure on the lca, a few whacks and boom. Same with the impact, once I used one I couldnt go back.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,016 Posts
I honestly like using hand tools because I wont strip it or round it off as easily. but I wont lie, air gun for suspension pieces is a fucking dream

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can fly thru suspensions with shop air thou not always available. X3 on the hit it where it goes thru. That's messed up I also jacked up my gramp's ratchet which was also a craftsman. Most of my tools were hand downs till they all got stolen and most were craftsman.

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
Unless a ball joint is being replaced, a pickle fork is not an ideal tool to use to separate them. 99% of the time you will damage the dust boot which will result in premature failure.
I tear them 100% of the time and I expect to - they are a cheap replacement part and it allows be to look at the ball joint, replace the grease and feel the play in the joint. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
Black/Green Civic HB
753 Posts
The 1/2" ratchet trick works great for getting them apart without damaging them, for us poor people

·
Registered
87 Integra
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow guys, thanks for watching and thanks for all the comments. We are having a ton of fun on this project and we are glad y’all are enjoying it.

We didn't have a ball joint fork on hand, but it would have come in handy. We did try a using a pry bar and a couple of other methods off camera but none of them worked. We do use the breaker bar often to get bolts loose. In order to keep cost down on this project we have no plans of buying any air or electric operated impact guns.

Keel_hauled, we do appreciate criticism to help us improve, but overall it seems to us like this just isn’t the series for you. Here is an attempt to address some of your concerns though. The music is something we created. It is not meant to be the main focus of the video just something to fill the background space. Neither of us are actors, but we are working on making it look and sound more natural. We plan to continue to format the videos in the same style, but I’m sure we will get better with experience. The time between videos isn’t going to improve since this is just a hobby for both of us, we do it in our spare time.

Paterico, thanks for the ideas, but we aren’t trying to make any how to videos. This is more along the lines of “follow along with us on our build”. These cars are old and all the common trouble points are well documented on multiple forums.

Thanks again for all the input!

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
The 1/2" ratchet trick works great for getting them apart without damaging them, for us poor people
I must be holding my mouth wrong, because I haven't been able to use this trick in a while...and I used it a lot when I first started working on suspension frequently.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts