Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a little background. The 86/87 D16A1 rods are slightly thicker than the 88/89, which are identical to the A6, Z6, and Y5/7/8 rods found in 88-00 Civics. The plus to this is the hope that they will hold up better under higher stress (example - turbocharging). The downside is added weight. The word has always been that the 86/87 rods a much heavier. Most people believe that you should either keep your stock rods, or get serious with some H beam rods. Now, I looked as hard as I could, but never really found good info on the 86/87 rods, and no one I asked could really provide anything truly useful. Now, I present to you, my findings.

Weights were taken from the following:

86/87 rod with flat top piston, wrist pin, rings, and rod bolts
88/89 rod with dome piston, wrist pin, rings, and rod bolts
Dome piston (P29) with wrist pin

Here's what I got with should be a pretty accurate scale

86/87 - 1lb 8.5oz, 697.515 grams
88/89 - 1lb 6.5oz, 640.575 grams
P29 - 11.5oz, 327.405 grams

Now, the only thing to really consider here is that the dome piston is going to be slightly heavier than the flat top, but not more than 1oz

Now, if you look closely, you can see that the 86/87 rod (left) is slightly thicker than the 88/89 (right). If I can find a micrometer, I'll post some true measurements.

Anyway, from what I can tell, these should hold a little more power than 88/89 rods. I'm not saying they're a cheap alternative to H beams for 500hp builds, but since standard D16 rods are known to hold about 215 bhp, I think these could take 240 bhp. If you're shooting for a low boost, ~200 bhp setup, you may want to look into these. They're harder to find used, but remanufactured they're actually slightly cheaper than the standard D16 rods

This is the only place I found that sells remanufactured 86/87 rods. They're the CRH16, and the 88/89 is CRH18

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/topconrods-acura1.html

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Someone correct me if I m wrong but I thought I read that the older A1 rods even though they are thicker are made of a slightly weaker metal that makes them about equal strength of the newer ones.
you are correct.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone correct me if I m wrong but I thought I read that the older A1 rods even though they are thicker are made of a slightly weaker metal that makes them about equal strength of the newer ones.
See? In all the searching I did, that's something I never came across. Everyone should just post up anything they know about these here and sticky it

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
People claim there good to 250HP, but it dosen't seem worth it for what is possibly a 25HP increase in max HP. Might as well rework some LS rods and use those. At least there good for 300HP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts