Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I posted this over @ 7thgen but generally speaking I see way too much flaming there when people try to go outside the box. Out of all the forums im a member of this seems to be the best place to learn, so here it is:

Now my question is about converting the EM2 to run OBD1

I understand this is a long shot and theres probably only a handful of people that will actually have the knowledge to see any way this can work

I'm pretty much wondering if the wiring harness from an EK/EM1 will be able to be swapped into an em2.. then via ecu jumper further converted to OBD1

I want to know if anyone can see this working and how, but lets not even think about the dizzy/COP issue, im more concerned about the sensors and such.

Please address the question if you have any knowledge in this field, please keep the "why?!" "its illegal!" "your an idiot" comments to yourself, just pretend u said them to me and laugh ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are none for the em2, ive asked the usual wiring companies such as rywire and xenocron

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's not specific to the EM2 mate, find out specifically if the EM2 is OBD2-A or B then go from there. Like i said though, you car won't run on any OEM map from any previous Honda's, you will need to get it mapped before it will even run properly.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i wouldnt say that, he could easily get it running since his motor is basically a stroker d16y7

jeevan i think its going to be difficult for you to find a how to for this one, i think its gonna take some real detective work and some trial and error. will be cool though

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
I honestly think you could manage to swap in an obd2 or obd1 engine harness and dizzy/sensors etc and get it to fit, the only problem i see is that the EM2 uses a multiplex system (like s2000, rsx) for the gauges and whatnot. That's probably the biggest hurdle you'd have to overcome: getting the ecu to communicate with the dash lol. I'd love to have a nice boosted EM2 without the need to go K-pro or reflash.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The money spent to go OBD1 with everything working you might as well go K-pro...

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
Meh that's probably true. It might be somewhat cost effective if you already had a OBD2/1 rusty shell and found a EM2 for dirt cheap lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm... the dash thing interests me... autometer has a fix for that!:bigok: hahahahhaa

dan i got some more ideas, not sure if ur interested but ill discuss whenever i see u

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not specific to the EM2 mate, find out specifically if the EM2 is OBD2-A or B then go from there. Like i said though, you car won't run on any OEM map from any previous Honda's, you will need to get it mapped before it will even run properly.
Ive messaged various manufacturers of conversion harnesses and they do not work with the 7th gens

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
K-pro is $1600+/- 100 w/K ECU

To go OBD1 for the A1 you would need a D16Y7 cam, for the A2 you would need a custom cam with a slot for a distributor. A way to mount a distributor on the D17 head. A custom harness to fit the D17. The cluster would not work with a OBD1 ecu so you would need a convertor or OBD1 data viewer(Tuner View/Stack gauges). If you lived in a area with emissions you would need a way for OBD2 data to be displayed via the com port(or just a way to by-pass the requirement for OBD2 data). $+/- a few grand.

Past all that OBD1 technology is from the earlier 90's, yes it works and works pretty good, but there is a reason why OBD2 has taken over...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
could easily swap a 88-00 civic cluster in. shit ive seen people use EM2 clusters in older cars like wagons

All Honda's after 2001 are multiplex(multiple signals on one wire) so the analog signals from the obd1 system wouldn't work with stock gauges. A adapter is need for the multiplex gauges to work in older car(or in this case where the stock system is being removed). To use a older gauge you would need to run new wires that aren't in the EM2 dash harness.

As I always say anything can be done, with money...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
D17's can only do Kpro(no flash)

Aren't D17's all Coil on Plug? And most things don't support COP this side of a stand alone, but I think Hondata is working on/has COP, and Neptune has it in the works as well.
Hondata has COP but you still need a distributor for CKP/CKY/TDC

1 - 20 of 24 Posts