Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
Joined
·
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I just joined the forum and have a few questions. Let me give you a little backround on my situation....
I'm stationed in Germany and happened to stumble across the deal of the century (I think so anyway). An '03 Civic EX Coupe (D17A2) with some hail damage - some I say, the insurance company totaled it out and paid it off - , 20K on the odometer, with 18" Konigs, a coilover kit with a 3'' drop, and a virgin engine. All this with a decent stereo for $3,000. I couldn't pass it up, so I sold my '89 BMW 730i (this beast does 230K on the Autobahn like a dream) to buy this Honda. I have owned a '97 Civic DX - loved it - and an '87 Rex - oh the 3bbl bliss I had from that little monster. Anyway....I love to tinker and couldn't tell you a thing about compression ratios or cam shaft measurements, so I am going to stick to bolt-on performance upgrades - and maybe a big-azz wing because its makes it look fast! j/k - so I would like some advice from the resident experts.
I am looking at the Ebay bargain deals and I see no-name parts for a reasonable price, which will also pass the spousal budget requirement. Here are a couple Ebay items of some stuff that I wonder if I could get an opinion on. No-name JDM headers and downpipes? BOMZ intakes?
Ebay Items: 7963057456, 7964122572, 7964132492, 7963952517.

Thanks guys!
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hey man, IM me on aim and we can talk and discuss items. I have an 03 ex also. it will be easier on aim than on forum.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
you want this intake, but only use the top part of it. use it as an sri cause the cai on our cars sucks up a lot of water because of filter positioning. 7963947786

you want this high flow cat. 7964010424

this header. 7964165224

and this exhaust. deep sounding and good quality. 7962808590
 

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
Joined
·
18,622 Posts
speedfoos said:
OK guys, I just joined the forum and have a few questions. Let me give you a little backround on my situation....
I'm stationed in Germany and happened to stumble across the deal of the century (I think so anyway). An '03 Civic EX Coupe (D17A2) with some hail damage - some I say, the insurance company totaled it out and paid it off - , 20K on the odometer, with 18" Konigs, a coilover kit with a 3'' drop, and a virgin engine. All this with a decent stereo for $3,000. I couldn't pass it up, so I sold my '89 BMW 730i (this beast does 230K on the Autobahn like a dream) to buy this Honda. I have owned a '97 Civic DX - loved it - and an '87 Rex - oh the 3bbl bliss I had from that little monster. Anyway....I love to tinker and couldn't tell you a thing about compression ratios or cam shaft measurements, so I am going to stick to bolt-on performance upgrades - and maybe a big-azz wing because its makes it look fast! j/k - so I would like some advice from the resident experts.
I am looking at the Ebay bargain deals and I see no-name parts for a reasonable price, which will also pass the spousal budget requirement. Here are a couple Ebay items of some stuff that I wonder if I could get an opinion on. No-name JDM headers and downpipes? BOMZ intakes?
Ebay Items: 7963057456, 7964122572, 7964132492, 7963952517.

Thanks guys!
Welcome to the site... Love the avatar, where in Germany are you stationed? I was there for a while back in 98.
 

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
Joined
·
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely appreciate the advice. If only I could get folks on Ebay to wrap their heads around the idea that shipping to an APO address only costs what it would take to get it to NY....

This may be a stupid question but why is this stuff so daggone cheap? I understand the paying for a name bit, it just seems odd that you can replace from the manifold all the way through the ass-end of the muffler for less than 400 bucks. But I've learned to not look a gift Honda in the mouth - at least not too closely. Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
Joined
·
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rexinre said:
Welcome to the site... Love the avatar, where in Germany are you stationed? I was there for a while back in 98.
Thanks for the welcome. I'm stationed in beautiful Darmstadt - about 25km south of Frankfurt. Needless to say I'm working hard for a transfer up to England...
 

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
Joined
·
18,622 Posts
speedfoos said:
Thanks for the welcome. I'm stationed in beautiful Darmstadt - about 25km south of Frankfurt. Needless to say I'm working hard for a transfer up to England...
Been to england too... I was stationed in Hohenfels germany (OPFOR)...

Army?
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
np man. its because competition drives down prices. and when you buy the expensive stuff ur only paying for a name. how much can some metal and welds cost anyway..... you know.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
Rexinre said:
Been to england too... I was stationed in Hohenfels germany (OPFOR)...

Army?
I didnt like teh constant raining all the time..
but the ukdm parts are worth it..lol
do you have to convert your parking lights while your there or just dont drive the car at night?
 

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
Joined
·
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rexinre said:
Been to england too... I was stationed in Hohenfels germany (OPFOR)...

Army?
Rexinre,
Given your OPFOR ref, I'm gonna guess you're either current or prior Army - likewise, but I'm still in (12 years till retirement). Needless to say I take every TDY I can back to the states - like the one I greased to get to Tampa for a week in April!

Rotory
No I don't have to convert my parking lights, although I probably would if I wanted to park her overnight in one of those type of spots. I haven't acutally taken posession of her yet either, not for 3 more weeks as the current owner needs the car a little while longer. The only problem is that he is a slob and I want to the car right now on principle. What person can already wear a hole in the floor mats after only two years!? Oh well...

Bradman,
That's what I figured. Metal is metal (to a degree) and brand names cost more.
 

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
Joined
·
18,622 Posts
speedfoos said:
Rexinre,
Given your OPFOR ref, I'm gonna guess you're either current or prior Army - likewise, but I'm still in (12 years till retirement). Needless to say I take every TDY I can back to the states - like the one I greased to get to Tampa for a week in April!
Tampa, nice score Big money TDY!

I am current Army for 9 years going on 10 (yikes)... Welcome to the site and good luck with the car. I don't know much about D17's but there are a lot of SME's on this site so ask away!

Rexinre
 

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
1991 Honda Civic STD
Joined
·
810 Posts
I used to drive a 01 EX vtec & bolt on gains are minimal for 7th gens. :neutral: No 9+ hp intakes so get the mods you please...I would recommend a Dezod turbo kit instead these are good for NA.

Intakes: K&N's FIPK II, it has the filter inclosed from water & hot engine bay air & can produce power. I had Injen's Race Division; aem v2 its a cai so it can be exposed to hydrolock but was nice.

Headers: The HP Racing race is among the best for EX, along with Kamikaze race.

Exhaust: that one you showed looks loud. If you like that go for it, its cheap. The more toned down good ones are Magnaflow, Apexi World Sport, RS-R stock style & Thermal R&D if thats still around, and stock DC5 Integra Type R is great.

HKS Hi Power, & 5Zigen is a little louder but sounds deep, has 2" piping and has shown to keep low end power.
 

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
Joined
·
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the advice on the bolt-ons. I definitely have some food for thought. As far as the Dezod turbo kit - that's a pipe dream for me. No way I could get a kitchen pass for that one, unless I get hooked for another deployment....hmmm....tax-free pay, hostile fire pay, hazardous duty pay.....all for a turbo kit? That bears some thought, I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year and I haven't been there yet.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
^^^its not that bad...in the spring time..lol
but the middle east is blazing around summers end...you might want to take an umbrella and some spf 4K sunblock too..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XTPxEwfNTJc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XTPxEwfNTJc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
 

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
Joined
·
609 Posts
you want this intake, but only use the top part of it. use it as an sri cause the cai on our cars sucks up a lot of water because of filter positioning. 7963947786

you want this high flow cat. 7964010424

this header. 7964165224

and this exhaust. deep sounding and good quality. 7962808590
This is very true!!! I drove through a puddle on the side of the road going about 35mph with minimal throttle at about 2500rpm in 4th gear and my motor hydrolocked! I still think the benefit from a CAI is still worth it though. You just need to be REALLY REALLY careful. Careful cannot be emphasized enough.
 

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
Joined
·
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is very true!!! I drove through a puddle on the side of the road going about 35mph with minimal throttle at about 2500rpm in 4th gear and my motor hydrolocked! I still think the benefit from a CAI is still worth it though. You just need to be REALLY REALLY careful. Careful cannot be emphasized enough.
LOL. Swing and a miss.


That Rounders clip is hilarious Andy!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top