Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is no way imma make these 6x9's fit in the panels on the side of the rear seats safely. (track use too!)

I'm just going to install them in 6x9 enclsures and throw em in the hatch area. Are ebay enclosures fine, or is there actually a difference in quality? Anyone have advice, or photos of theirs mounted back there?

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Here's what I did, go get some 1/4 in plywood and make a new hatch cover outta that, cut 6x9 holes in it and screw the boxes onto the bottom of the plywood lined up with those holes. Spray with adhesive and carpet it. Voila looks almost stock! I'll post pics later today, gonna try and get my baby back on the road today.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually air space matters on how clean the 6x9 sounds. As far as I know those ebay box tend to break fairly easy. As far as the hatch cover with the 6x9 it might be alright. To make it short if you wanna box them you can pick up mtx 6x9 boxes at circuit city or best buy for like 40.00. These are qaulity made and have the right amount of airspace to make your 6x9 sound clean.

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
I used MDF and made boxes based on the specs of the speakers, it's not hard to figure interior air space if you can do math. All you need is the plywood for the hatch cover, 1/4 in MDF, Liquid nails (to seal it), and some wood screws. If you wanna really do it right you take mat insulation and staple it to the inner walls of the box.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm guessing switching to 6-1/2" speakers (or whatever size factory cutout you have in the back) isn't an option, eh?

As said earlier, any box will do - I'd go to your local brick & mortar store than eBay - you won't get much of a steal there (unless you get 'em used), and you'll need to deal with shipping damages. With BB or CC, you can always bring them back.

Tacking them down in the hatch is a good idea - burnout's suggestion looks like a great idea (but some extra work). Hope he can post some pics!

PM

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
all sound like good ideas, but what are you wanting to accomplish by doing this? There may be easier options for what you're wanting to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, what I did was put my 6x9's in the cargo area panel. I cut 2 holes in it and bolted them in there and ran speaker wires thru the back panels. My civic hatch currently has a 6 speaker system with no subs...

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
usually 6x9s are designed to go into back decks (ie...free air). why even use rear speakers though? just focus on the front stage especially in such a small car.

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Screw that, I have the 2 6x9's in the deck, and 4 6.5's two in the front doors and two in the stock rear location. I'm getting ready to run a 300 watt amp to the 6X9's. I say needs more power. I'd love to steal the two 12's and the Rockford Fosgate Punch 1000dB amp I installed in my wife's sentra, but I value my trunk.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
usually 6x9s are designed to go into back decks (ie...free air). why even use rear speakers though? just focus on the front stage especially in such a small car.
:stupid:. In such a small car, the rear speakers are over powering imo. Just run fronts like Rattman said. I have a set of Boston acoustics 6.5" in the door along with my factory Honda tweeters. They're running off a memphis 2 way crossover and a pheonix gold amp. My mid bass up front is great, they sound almost like subs the bass response is so good from them. I have one 12" memphis studio sub in a ported box tuned to 30hz with an old school punch 40 dsm running it at 2ohms mono. The front are more than enough to keep up with it ;).

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
A lot of it has to do with what kind of music you listen to, and how you like to listen to it, you gotta take that into consideration. Can't judge a man for wanting rear speakers.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
A lot of it has to do with what kind of music you listen to, and how you like to listen to it, you gotta take that into consideration. Can't judge a man for wanting rear speakers.
not judging any one, just stating what I like. I absolutely hate music sounding like it's coming from behind me. As far as music goes, I listen to a little bit of everything in my car, and it all sounds good :).

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
if you actually try to reproduce music as its recorded (ie stereo) its counterproductive to have sound coming from behind you. usually rear speakers are on a different "plane" than the fronts and usually overpower them. the band isnt all around you at a concert, its in front of you. the reason why its important to focus on the front is because of something called staging. subs go in the rear of a vehicle mainly because of space concerns but also because low frequencies are non directional in theory (ie...you cant close your eyes and pinpoint where the sub is). with the imaging i have in my system, it sounds as though the vocals are coming almost directly from my stereo...its not ideal but still sounds sick as hell. to me, its staged a little lower than i would like but with my speakers in the kick panels its way better than any stock location.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd agree with rattman - I've turned the amp off in my HU which runs the rears. Those speakers are much closer to the people in a Sol, as well.

Maybe engage the low pass filter on your amp to your 6x9's and use them like subs? It'd be good to use that square inch area while you have them in the car. You'd be putting your mid/tweet to waste, but it'd avoid dragging your image to the back.

PM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.