Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making a progress thread for my car to help keep my project on track and to hopefully get some help from all of the knowledgeable users on dso!

I'm still pretty much a Honda newbie so I'll kind of be learning as I go. I briefly had a 5th gen hatch with some minor bolt-ons, then had an engine swapped 4th gen hatch, and now have a 6th gen hatch.

It's a 1998 New Vogue Silver Metallic 5 speed Civic DX Hatch with the original SOHC D16Y7 non-vtec.

I bought this car in the hopes of creating a practical, cheap, fun, and fuel efficient DD to zip around town in. I've decided that there is no point modding it for more power while staying N/A, since I feel that it would need to trap ~100mph to make power mods worth while (which would require boost). I have other cars for going fast, so I'm hoping to stick to my original plan of making this car cheap and practical which is what it's already fairly good at.

My budget for this car will be extremely low. Almost everything will come from cannibalizing other Honda's at the junkyards, piecing together whatever bits I happen to have laying around, and scavenging used parts where I can.

I have a bad history of letting my car modding spiral out of control, so this thread will hopefully keep me on track and heading in the right direction.

My goals for this "build" will be as follows:
-Keep it cheap!
-Update/tweak the interior enough so that it can actually be used as a comfortable daily
-Replace and fix as much of the exterior as possible to get it looking somewhat passable
-Repair all the stuff that needs to be addressed
-No N/A power mods!

I grabbed the car for pretty cheap but that is of course because it's in pretty rough shape at the moment. It looks okay from 50ft, but up close it's a bit of a disaster. Here it is after I hosed it down and brought it home:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Went to the junkyard with a big list of needs and started off simple with mostly interior stuff.

Started by grabbing up lots of spare hardware so that I'd have extras to draw from since pieces will inevitably be missing on this car:

Car needed a tach so I pieced together bits from 3 different clusters to eventually end up with 1 nice one. Here it is all cleaned up and ready to go:

Replacement cup holder has seen better days, but at least it now opens and closes properly:

Previous owner tried to paint the cluster bezel and failed miserably. Scrounged up a nice clean replacement:

Popped it all in and the car already looks so much cleaner. I'm too afraid to remove the (flaming!) steering wheel cover because I don't want to know what it's covering up. New steering wheel is a priority.
Any suggestions on what wheel to look for? I'll probably be able to find the following types:
98-07 Accord
01-05 Civic
97-01 CRV
97-05 EL

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The center console area was a disgusting mess and the parking brake handle had some sort of sticker gooped onto it. Luckily I found a minty Acura EL with the correct interior colour to steal a nice armrest and brake handle cover from:

Shifter boot was also really nasty and torn up. I found a DA Integra with a nice suede shift boot, but the rings on the bases were different sizes:

The suede wasn't nearly as stretchy as the oem fake leather, but was still able to get the bases swapped:

Pretty minor change, but I think this is going to feel/look like a huge improvement:

Now I just need to address the super sloppy linkage...

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
make sure whatever wheel you get the air bag system is compatible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
make sure whatever wheel you get the air bag system is compatible.
Yeah definitely want to retain proper SRS functionality in this car. As far as I can tell, those 4 models listed should all be compatible (splines and airbags). I would assume the wheels from the newer Accords or the ELs would be nicest, but I dunno if there's anything specifically worth keeping an eye out for.

·
4,008 Posts
honestly, I like the jdm leather wrapped non srs style, but that's just me. I do believe the rsx's may be compatible as well but I could be wrong

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Yeah definitely want to retain proper SRS functionality in this car. As far as I can tell, those 4 models listed should all be compatible (splines and airbags). I would assume the wheels from the newer Accords or the ELs would be nicest, but I dunno if there's anything specifically worth keeping an eye out for.
The Accord Torneo wheel is really nice and it has SRS. You could use really any Honda wheel as long as the spline count is the same (33 IIRC) and it has single stage airbag.

As far as swapping SRS components though, it's really easiest to have everything from one car, as there were different component manufacturers during the same production run and they aren't all compatible for some reason. When I put SRS back in my car I couldn't clear any of the DTCs until I swapped the SRS control unit. Your results may vary though

·
4,008 Posts
I got rid of srs for a reason. only thing I hate is they tie it into the horn

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
honestly, I like the jdm leather wrapped non srs style, but that's just me. I do believe the rsx's may be compatible as well but I could be wrong
RSX wheels will fit, but are unfortunately dual stage airbags :(

The Accord Torneo wheel is really nice and it has SRS. You could use really any Honda wheel as long as the spline count is the same (33 IIRC) and it has single stage airbag.

As far as swapping SRS components though, it's really easiest to have everything from one car, as there were different component manufacturers during the same production run and they aren't all compatible for some reason. When I put SRS back in my car I couldn't clear any of the DTCs until I swapped the SRS control unit. Your results may vary though
Only using junkyard parts as much as possible, so JDM gear is probably not available to me unless I happen stumble upon something. I'll probably just end up with an Acura EL wheel I suspect. All of the models that I listed above are 33 spline and single stage airbags (and fairly common models).

Interested in this
Since my emphasis is heavily budget related for this car, I might start adding all the prices for parts that I use if people want to see what the final total ends up being. I've been tracking every dollar that goes into this 'build' so far.

I got rid of srs for a reason. only thing I hate is they tie it into the horn
Why did you decide to ditch it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wiring under the dash was mess. Why are there wires ziptied to my pedals??
Apparently this car used to have glow pedals once upon a time. The accelerator pedal cover was actually preventing the pedal from traveling all the way down :screwy:

My dash vents were also full of leaves and glass. What a PITA. I'd like to eventually do an AC retrofit and may try to rig up some kind of cabin filter if/when I get around to tackling the HVAC.

Headlights were super hazy and full of water. Even worse, almost all the mounting points were broken and they were barely even attached to the car. Only 2 of the 6 mounts were still intact.

Took a surprising amount of searching, but eventually found a set of pre-99 lights in decent shape with all the mounts still there. I'll probably give them a proper polish once I finish some of the other more urgent needs.

Hard to tell from this picture, but the grill had been really badly resprayed silver (originally red).

The hood on this car is the worst eyesore right now. It looks bad in the pic, but in person it's even worse!

I couldn't find a clean silver hood in good condition at the junkyard. However, I found a silver hood with a CF vinyl wrap. The wrap has a couple rock chips, but isn't terrible. I'm afraid to peel off the wrap, because if the paint sucks underneath, then I'll be left without a usable hood at all. The CF hood isn't really the look I wanted for this car, but it's way better than the hood I currently have on the car.

I thought swapping the hood by myself would be difficult, but the OEM hood is surprisingly lightweight.

Hood + headlights + grill all replaced:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are a butter-fingers type person like me, this grabber tool is the greatest thing ever since I always seem to drop things into hard to reach places.

·
4,008 Posts
Why did you decide to ditch it?
dash looks cleaner, don't have to worry about broken windshields, car is a tin can, doubtful the air bag will keep the engine off my lap, or the rear bumper off my back. jdm 3 spoke non srs wheel looks so much better. if I ever wanted to go quick release or another wheel, don't have to worry about wires and shit

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dash looks cleaner, don't have to worry about broken windshields, car is a tin can, doubtful the air bag will keep the engine off my lap, or the rear bumper off my back. jdm 3 spoke non srs wheel looks so much better. if I ever wanted to go quick release or another wheel, don't have to worry about wires and shit
Definitely looks nicer. Reason I'm trying to keep airbags is partly because the car feels like I'm riding in a tin can though. Doesn't feel much more substantial than my old 4th gen did despite being 8 years newer and 300lbs heavier.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Threw the car up in the air for a quick oil change and to investigate my terrible shifter.

Of course the oil filter had been cranked on crazy tight. Filter wrench and strap couldn't get it off, so had to punch a screw driver though it. Was a little surprised that the WIX filter appears a fair bit larger than the dinky Honda filter. Found some Castrol 10w30 in the garage, so $10 oil filter was my big budget item of the day for this car (and one of the few brand new items that this car will get to see).

The intake resonator box was just sitting in the engine bay and not bolted to anything, so I yanked it out rather than trying to get it back into place. Popped open the airbox to check my filter only to find that it was full of holes.

I didn't want to drive back to the store again to buy a new air filter and my mandate was to try to keep operating costs super low on this car. A reusable filter would be easiest, so I started digging around in my garage to see what I could scavenge from my piles of junk.

Total cost of $0 and means that I won't have to buy any more paper air filters in the future either. So I drilled a hole in the aluminum elbow for the IAT sensor, drilled out the nipple to enlarge it for the breather, and stole the rubber IAT grommet off the stock airbox. The ugly goop of jbweld was from a previous patch covering up a nitrous nozzle bung.

It ain't pretty but the price was right and it works great. Could have thrown on a new filter and an extra elbow to make it look like an SRI, but not worth wasting parts for no reason. Might actually get better fuel mileage this way anyway.

You can see the IAT and hose hookups here:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After that unexpected detour to replace the intake, I returned to addressing the sloppy shifter. This is my first d-series 5 spd so not sure how it's supposed to feel, but it seemed really bad.

I jumped under the car expecting my linkage u-joint at the trans side to be toast, but it was surprisingly in perfect shape and really tight. The cause of all my shifter slop appeared to be 2 problems:
1) the connection to the linkage at the base of the shifter was super loose and wobbling everywhere
2) the stabilizer bar's rubber bushing at the linkage side had way too much play in it and the bar was freely moving around within the bushing hole

This was actually a best case scenario for me, since I had already found a dual-bend GSR Integra shifter at the junkyard. When I removed the stock shifter, the base sleeve fell right out as it was extremely loose.

The Integra shifter has a wider base and would normally need to be trimmed down to fit the d-series linkage, but I elected to keep the nice tight base/sleeve intact and instead bend the linkage arms to fit the wider Integra shifter.

With issue 1 addressed, I needed to tighten up the stabilizer bar flopping around in the bushing behind the shifter linkage. My bushing actually looked like it was in good shape, so I'm not sure that an ES bushing kit would have helped me here anyway. Since I wasn't going to spend more $ and wait for a kit to arrive that might not even help, I decided that I needed to add a sleeve to get rid of the excess movement.

So I found an old dried out paint pen that fit nice and tightly inside the bushing. The pen's body was made from aluminum...

Time to chop it up! Luckily I just used my cheap chop saw outside in case there was still paint inside the pen (there was... a lot).

I put my new sleeve over top of the stabilizer bar's pin, and then wrapped it in fabric (hockey) tape so that the sharp edges wouldn't catch on the bushing during re-installation.

Then bolted everything back together. The fit back into the bushing was VERY tight and the only movement now is just from the rubber flexing. No more wiggling.
You can also see the shifter linkage brackets that were bent/widened to accommodate the wider GSR shifter base. The bolt through the linkage also needs to be from the Integra because it's longer than the stock d-series linkage bolt.

RESULTS
Despite all my searching, it was very hard to find non-subjective before and after results for sloppy shifter fixes. After doing all this work I was sure it would seem better to me, but I wanted to know how much better it was (if any).

So, I measured...

Code:
					   BEFORE  AFTER   DIFFERENCE
Side to side movement in neutral (slop):   4.75"   0.75"   -4.00"
Side to side movement from gear to gear:   8.25"   4.00"   -4.25"

Fwd + back movement in neutral (slop):     0.75"   0.10"   -0.65"
Fwd + back movement in gear (3rd to 4th):  6.50"   3.50"   -3.00"
As you can see, this made a HUGE measurable difference. ~98% reduction in neutral slop! (3.56sq.in before vs 0.075sq.in after)

To be fair, the GSR shifter is slightly shorter than the OEM one, with will account for a small percentage of the differences (but I don't care enough to do the math, sorry).

After doing this, it's like driving a whole new car. I'm very pleased with this junkyard mod. Best $3 ever!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Nice job hunting parts, I did the same thing with my daily until I had all the pieces, and then got some exterior stuff too. Made my car a thousand times better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good ole shifter bushing replacement. Always feels SO much better!
Such a small item, but well worth it.

Nice job hunting parts, I did the same thing with my daily until I had all the pieces, and then got some exterior stuff too. Made my car a thousand times better.
I've really like getting to read through everyone's build threads and get ideas.
Hunting down the parts has been half the fun for me. I love that I can source bits and pieces from a dozen different models and have everything just bolt right on.

F***ing brilliant! Now that I think about it, you could possibly just expand that tube. It's made round by folding the flat section into a circle, and with some work I'm sure you could partially unroll it.
Working well so far. The other idea I played with was to find a bolt to put through the middle of the tube to expand it (that way it wouldn't re-collapse after being spread and it would stay round), but getting the right sizing was a lot more difficult and the paint pen happened to already be a perfect fit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts