Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Just picked up my first Honda a few weeks ago. I bought it because the price was right and I wanted some cheap, and reliable transportation. I really like the car but my exhaust has a rattle and I'm pretty sure that the CAT is busted inside so I might cut it out and weld in a pipe or just take a steel rod and bash it out. I know that I should put another CAT but I just don't want to spend the money on it. I've heard of people getting o2 simulators, but the ones I have found are about $50-100. I had a Dodge truck that I gutted the CAT on and I used a spark plug non-fouler and I never had a problem with the check engine light. What is the cheapest and most effective way to do this.

If you can show me some links and share your ideas it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
You can do the same spark plug foul trick for the civic. It works for some.
Or you can make your own electronic sim but it will cost more. Around $20 and some soldering skills.

Oh Yea and it's most likely the heat side making the noise.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
If its a 96-00 with a d16y7 the cat is most likely cracked....they all are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is an EX. So I removed all of the the exhaust. Inspected and hit the converter a little- no rattle. Removed all heat shields, re installed exhaust and still had a rattle. Found the muffler was rattling- removed muffler, still have rattle. SMH...

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I love my Honda ... don't get me wrong ... but there's a reason they're cheap. My car has so many creaks and rattles ... but at least I recognize them all and I know when there's a new (or at least a bad) one. It happens to cars as they get older ... especially cars like our Hondas. Heck even my parents' Lexus is starting to get noisey.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
When I removed my cat and shook it you could clearly hear crap inside, how did you "hit" it was it a little tap or a good smack? Also when my cat went bad it sounded like crap was in my motor, not just a rattle like you describe. A 90 degree o2 spacer on ebay is like 10$

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the cat and pounded it on my wood top work bench on the flanges as well as just rolled it around on the bench to try and get it to do something. I didn't hear anything though. And I get what you mean. I bought the car with 196k on it. It was cheap and I expect to have little quirks with it but this rattle is very loud. The noise comes directly underneath the shifter.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I took the cat and pounded it on my wood top work bench on the flanges as well as just rolled it around on the bench to try and get it to do something. I didn't hear anything though. And I get what you mean. I bought the car with 196k on it. It was cheap and I expect to have little quirks with it but this rattle is very loud. The noise comes directly underneath the shifter.
I think i said it before but have you check the heat shield?
Get under the car and start shaking and hitting stuff lol. Make sure its on jacks and is safe first.

but really heat shield.

Pulled form google. I think this is a 7th gen but the 6th gen is about the same. It goes right by the shifter. If not then your shifter is hitting the o2 sensor.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1 - 12 of 12 Posts