Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 hatch
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i found a 6.0 VGTurbo for 100$ but have no idea if i could use it on a honda or not.

here's a cut-away
http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/subsites/diag/6lvgtguide.pdf

and a bunch more info
VGT turbo ABC's - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

more info*
here's a guy using one on a 7.3l diesel, sounds like the vgt can be manually controlled and oil issues can be resolved with a small electric oil pump
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/136673-4wd-launch.html

it has an electronically controlled solenoid that controls oil pressure being fed to the turbo changing the vein position. considering the size of the engine its coming from i would imagine having them locked in the "smallest" position would be just fine. I don't think I've ever seen one of these turbos used on a Honda, or anything other then a ford truck. any of you turbo guru's have an idea's as to if this turbo would be even usable?

·
Registered
Black/Green Civic HB
753 Posts
It's a awsome idea that they use on it, but its going to be a pita to adapt to the D.
If its not too big, go for it!
( I was actually just looking at one similar to that we were puting on a diesel rebuild this last weekend)

·
Registered
94 hatch
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was actually panning on using it with a stroked gs-r (ls crank) likely punched over at least a mm or 2. if the bigger holsets work with a built d spinning this thing should be no problem. in one of the threads i was reading on them a guy got a rebuild kit from garret so i think I'm gonna start looking there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Idk its a bitch to control the vgt on those turbo motor and in my opinion not a reliable way too keep boost in check... I did a bunch oh reaserch because I was going to use a vgt holset from 6.7

·
Registered
94 hatch
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in the last link on my first post there is a guy that claimed to have manual control of the vgt, im thinking if that's the can why wouldn't you be able to simply set it to one position and leave it there

·
Registered
72 Posts
turboprelude95 to big for fast spool like t28/18g for your vgt is another break possibility

i see my friend ek hatch whit ebay kit run 3 year the turbo fail due to cheap oil pass

in my book i see t3t4 on ebay at 200$ take that and when it fail rebuilt it and have better powerband and fast spool !

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I've heard that the AEM EMS can be used to control VGT. But I just found this on a DSM forum which goes into a bit of the logistics of actually getting one to work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts