Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know much about bearings...But I just want an answer in regards to running a 5w motor oil weight and if it can actually be to thin on "start up" and cause extra wear? I would rather just run a 5w30 all year round...summer and winter, since I live up In Canada and it does get pretty cold I do run 5w30 in the winter...However, since our bearings and tolerances are looser than stock can a thin oil weight such as 5w vs 10w actually cause more harm than good when the engine is cold?

What would be the benefit to running a 10w vs a 5w ?? I know Jeff Evans recommends 10w30 for vitara built motors...but what would the explanation be, behind this?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i personally wouldnt use ACL bearings in the first place. i have other posts about it, im not going to get into it again lol.

besides that, you can use whatever oil you want to on start up, but make sure all your bearing clearances are within spec... and not just what you think is spec, please... depending on how much power you want to make depends on the oil you need to run. i personally wouldnt us a 5w weight oil or anything under a 10w weight oil on any car thats going to be boosted. you have to be able to keep that oil film thats inbetween the bearings and the crank journals thick enough to withstand the power that you are pushing, if its too then then it can do pre-mature wear on your bearings.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
i learned a few years ago not to use ACL race bearings because every 1 out of 10 boxes have malfunctioning bearings. the way they are fucked is the simple fact that they are convex in the center of the bearing (the center of the bearing is higher than the outsides of the bearing).
proof???

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
10376 County Road 540
Lavon, TX 75166
(972) 849-7771

Watts Delux Engines. Machinest for T1 and a bunch of other shops... VERY smart guy.

he will not sell ACL bearings anymore because of it, and he put a bad ACL on a dial gauge right infront of me and my friend when we went there showing us what they do.

call him if you want, he will talk to you for a long time about it lol

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
im not talking about the "half moon" of the bearing being perfect, but the center of the bearing going across the center of it (width wise) it has a convex in it. thats nothing that torquing can take out at all.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
thus why i wont ever use ACL bearings, i will use OEM or Clevite bearings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.