Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people,

just thought i would through these pics up to see if anyone has seen this before.

i test fitted the cam in the head with no valves or springs before hand to check it wasnt binding, and the engine turnt over by hand after assembly easily.

any ideas to what happened?

luke.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^LOL @ broken space bar!

Remove the entire upper valvetrain assembly and see if the journals got starved of oil. That explain it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
What where you doing when this happened? If it was on initial start up then I'd say the valve train asembly was over torqued. If it was while driving then I'd say there was some kinda oil starvation to the head locking the cam up. Just speculating though at this point.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
lack of oiling to the head, cam gets hot, journals get hot, swells up, seizes up, belt is stronger than the cam, cam snaps.

may also have been assisted by installing cam gear bolt with an impact.

·
Registered
67 Posts
lol @ broken space bar....

Like they all said already, pull out the top end and check for score marks on the journals, see if there was damage that caused it to stop rotating

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was just after initial start up, i had the car idling for about 30 minuites while i checked everything over before i test drove i and i heard a bang and found the gear on the floor :(

·
Registered
91 Civic 4dr
244 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was running millers 10/40 break in oil.

i just hope this hasnt screwed the head, im going to drop my OE Z6 cam in tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Machine shops can fix most things if there isn't to much damage....
assembly lube next time.... amazing thing.

·
Registered
90' CRX SI
187 Posts
i had this happen to me on my original stock motor. Snapped the cam gear right off - From what i know is that old engine was burning oil badly.. on my A6 and i guess it starved too much and killed it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i used torco lube throughout the assembly, and i even used the spray lube all over the valve train and cam before turning it over by hand.

i didnt use an impact gun on the cam gear lol, just a spanner.

this just sucks really as i was just about to get it back on the road tonight and this is going to set me back 1-2 months.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
glad i have one of these cams!
:bigok:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts