Honda D Series Forum banner

#59300 Comp Cam

10K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  TheToaster 
#1 · (Edited)

Well after less than 50k miles of use, my cam took a shit.

I pulled my cylinder head to have it rebuilt. Upon my disassembly, I found this major pitting on the exhaust lobe of cylinder 2. I am disappointed with my situation because I have checked my valve lash frequently and only used full synthetic oil. My redline was set at 7400 rpm.

The rocker pads show no signs of wear, so it has to be an imperfection in the lobe. The performance of the cam is fine, but the metal shows low quality with imperfections that you would not expect from Comp.

See less See more
#2 ·
Same thing happened to my friends 595300 it sucks because i was planning on running the 59500 on my set-up but having second thoughts because of this

#30 ·
also op stated that redline was set at 7400 rpm, so yes it implies it was tuned.

Was this with stock spring and valves and did you have the car tuned I am having mine belt with the same one
keep going. i will erase your useless posts AND neg rep you.

#6 ·
I have a 59300 on shelf with minimal use on it. Was thinking about rocking it.. maybe not now. Anybody else with similar issues?

#8 ·
Going to go with bisi 3.6 last cam i want to try before leaving the car scene

#9 ·
This cam still made 146 whp on an NA D-series. I already have very close piston to valve clearance and I feel like changing my cam would bring those clearances to close for comfort and I don't want to pay to re-tune.

#16 ·
Honestly, sounds like anything OTHER than factory there is potential for failure.

#19 ·
Before jumping to conclusions, isn't there a possibility that this was caused by something other than poor manufacturing?
Isn't that jumping out of conclusion? With no basis?

And the rocker pads have no wear, Synthetic oil.

Honda OEM Filter

I double checked his lash adjustment too and they were perfect.

About Delta:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/182209-delta-272-2-specs.html

http://www.d-series.org/forums/product-reviews/160778-delta-camshaft-review.html

#22 ·
We should really be running an oil with a lot of zinc to prevent this sort of thing, just like the old muscle cars with the solid flat tappet lifters and cams. Our engines are basically the same.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.