Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey have any of you guys installed a cam that couldnt spin after everything was torqued down? I'm following the factory service manual instructions torqued down everything to spec and in sequence. It just doesnt spin. what can cause that?

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you put aftermarket springs, they will feel much harder to spin than OEM. However you should plastigauge the cam journals to make sure it has the proper clearance.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
did you lube up the cam before you put it in?

it should rotate no problem if torqued down correctly
With my matching Comp Cams springs and .007/.009 lash specs I couldn't spin mine either. I had to wait till the head was on the block and belted up before I could spin it. I also have the 59300...it's common. Works like a charm with 1500+ miles on the new rebuild.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
With my matching Comp Cams springs and .007/.009 lash specs I couldn't spin mine either. I had to wait till the head was on the block and belted up before I could spin it. I also have the 59300...it's common. Works like a charm with 1500+ miles on the new rebuild.
damn, thats wild

i just did a 59300 with spring install on a friends z6 and it would spin no problem with a 12mm on the cam gear bolt

·
Registered
867 Posts
Like they said if you have after market strong springs it will take a lot to get it to spin. I had to just about stand on the head with the 59500 and crower springs, to be able to set the valve lash with the head off the car.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have stock springs and retainers and lubed the cam and journals. Sounds like I have a problem. stock cam before turned perfectly before. I must of removed the rocker assembly like 5 times all with the same end result. arrrghh so frustrating!! there has to be something that i'm doing wrong? or is it the cam itself?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ive installed this same cam into my y8 couple years ago and the only way i was able to set the valve lash was with the timing belt on the cam gear because i couldnt spin the cam gear. 6 months later it destroyed my head and various other problems. i dont know if your going to run into the same problem but you should look into it

Today that same problem arised in my z6. I know there is problem and i dont know what it is!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think I may have stuck extensions in the cam gear and then stuck a long screwdriver in between them and use that to rotate the cam at one time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
if you followed the manuel then you should be ok. just put the head and belt on then loosen the rockers. then set your valve lash and you should be good to go. is this the same cam from the y8, because they may be diffrent because of the part numbers.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
x2 on the plastigauge.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes this is the same cam i used on my y8. i just used a y8 cam gear with it it worked great for as long as it lasted. I ran out of plastiguage that would of been helpful right now.

Try backing off the bolts that you torqued. If it spins afterwards then you found the problem. This head is on the block right?
I did that and it turned just fine.after a few more trys i finally got it. it was really weird. I had to install the rocker arm assembly one by one. I still dont know what caused it but after torqueing it down i was able to move the cam with a rachet with ease. glad thats over now. thanks for help guys!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just to update the cam ruined my head back to stock cam now. just dont have any luck with this shit.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
bad install.. the 59300 is very very popular.. no1 had one issue with using them... im running the 59500 with no problem

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
just to update the cam ruined my head back to stock cam now. just dont have any luck with this shit.
Details! Stock springs/retainers? Followed torque specs and used their assembly/break-in lube? Sry bro...mine is working fine after 2k miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts