Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am having a hard time deciding what turbo to run on my vitara build. i really like the power i see coming from the 6262, but i also seen the 5857 with the 272-2 in hyboost's thread make decent power. i'm looking to make about 550 whp at the track and 400 in street trim. i am also thinking about using water/meth with my setup to achieve the power levels on stock sleeves.

how comparable is the 6262 .82 ar vs the 5857 .82 ar as far as spool and power output?

i have been googling all day but nothing definitive.

here is my build thread.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/144024-khrys771s-first-d-series-build.html

·
Registered
156 Posts
the 6262 has to much lag and either with the .82 is to big for a street car. I have a .63 @ 1.2-1 Back pressure @ 20lbs. My Friend bought a 6262 and has a cp piston motor on E-85 and just sold his to get a 5857 cause he hated the lag and didn't make power til about 600 rpm after me. and my powerband was flater even though it just keeps climbing

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
i have a 6262 and if your using it on a street car id get the 5857.
my power comes in a little late but i does pull hard all the way to 9k.
if you dont rev the 6262 to 9k it does lag in the next gear.
talk to A5hatch on here he has a 5857 and i do think he likes his. but my car is mainly a track car and thats why i dont mind the late spool.
anyways a street car with over 350whp is just about useless untill 4th gear anyways.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have the 5857, and it doesnt really start to spool/hit much boost till about 5500-6k. I rap out like BoostedSOHC to about 8500/9k. I daily my car, but I drive like a grandpa for the most part except for on ramps.... So if you really want a street car, I would also advise going smaller. I am even using the .63ar 5857.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
6262 FTW. Either dont street race, or try brake boosting, and shifting that ish. :D

Go big or go home.
i love my 6262 with the .82ar but for a street car nooo way haha.
read my quote in my sig. just trying to help the v8 guys feel like they have a chance

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm just worried about maxing my boost limit on the 5857 and not hitting 500 - 550whp for the track. i'd like to keep it at 30 psi or less. the 400 is just an estimate for the street, i prolly wont go that high on street. my last civic made 320 whp with an lsvtec turbo and it pulled pretty hard, raced a few 12 sec flat cars and pulled by a bus when i used to street race. i'm mostly looking for something to hit my track goal, which is to be a 10sec car in full street trim.

i have been thinking about the 5857DBB with the .82 ar hot side. i would like some decent spool.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
You kinda need to figure out whats priority. Do you want to make 500-550, and have later spool? Or could you be ok with 450-500 and spool slightly quicker? Not saying you cant make 550 with the 5857, but you may have to turn the boost up a little.

I honestly think with the low low compression, the 5857 isnt gonna make the power you want, at the boost level youre comfortable with.

Youll learn how to drive with the big turbo. Just get it.
The man knows what he's saying. It's really funny how people want the turbo to spool up so quick, but do you really need it to? The best way is figure what your rev limit will be will be, and based on your gearing see what it will drop to between gears. There is also full throttle shifting in Hondata and Neptune that will keep boost between shifts. Honda's are meant to rev, downshift and put it in the right rpm range and enjoy boost.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
RPMs are a damn good point. I was revving to 9500. My friend revs to 8500. Neither of us fell out of boost on the track, but I cant say the same for a motor that will only rev to 7500.
Alot of people don't think about how high they will rev it when choosing turbos. Alot of B-series guys run 6262 and never have a problem, mainly because they rev it to 9K or 9.5K RPM. I think of it this way, you can figure when a turbo will start making boost, then you find when it's making at least 60% full boost and see if your shifting rpm range is above that at least. Alot of guys pick a turbo way to big and can't rev it up higher to stay in boost, and blame it on the turbo for being laggy :screwy:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
with the 272-2, supertech valvetrain, fj h-beams, i am running all honda bearings at stock tolerances and a new oem honda oil pump. i think i would be safe to 8500, which is where i was planning on revving too. i not sure if there are any issues associated with going to 9000+ on factory tolerances, so i'd rather play it safe near 8500. as far as spool is concerned power is usually all in vtec, so anything near 5000 is fine.

so far i am leaning toward the 5857. i can always sell it later and upgrade.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hey guys i am having a hard time deciding what turbo to run on my vitara build. i really like the power i see coming from the 6262, but i also seen the 5857 with the 272-2 in hyboost's thread make decent power. i'm looking to make about 550 whp at the track and 400 in street trim. i am also thinking about using water/meth with my setup to achieve the power levels on stock sleeves.

how comparable is the 6262 .82 ar vs the 5857 .82 ar as far as spool and power output?

i have been googling all day but nothing definitive.

here is my build thread.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/144024-khrys771s-first-d-series-build.html
I have the best of both worlds, mine is 62mm compressor and 57mm turbine, I love it!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts