Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finished putting in my NX Express dry efi kit today. This is a 50 shot, I only got it tuned to 10:1, so its really rich. ran out of nitrous, 5lb bottle doesn't last long, lol.

Anyways, the left side is with the nitrous. the vertical black lines are both at 3000rpm, where I had it turn on, 4th gear roll on. the left side is 13psi(shuts off 13psi,or 5000rpm, it hit 13psi at about 4200rpm) and I let off at 4500rpm. I only made it to 4100rpm and 8psi on the right side, before I let off. This is with my S252, vitara z6, 5400'.

the orange line is boost, the pink is rpm, blue throttle

I need to have a second bung welded in my charge pipe, I was using my meth bung here. going to be fun when I have them both going.(and another 10psi) :punk:

love the nitrous kick (& sound) when it hits...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ha, yeah, started with a 35 shot, that lasted about 5 mins(wanted to get the fuel sorted out before the 50). 50 shot gets the turbo going, which is what I got it for(specially up at 9500', it takes forever to spool), once the turbo is going, i'm out...

here is another screen shot, should be bigger, you can see how much faster the turbo spools on the left two runs, the third is without the nitrous.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
put the solenoids in about the only free spot left in my engine bay. Worked out pretty well since the ac clutch relay is right there, thats what I'm using to activate it, and also one of my battery blocks. Only wire I had to run was for the purge.

Went with a 5lb bottle, I had to be able to fit my bag in the trunk. Blow down tube isn't installed in the pic, but I do have one.

I was running out of room to put any more switches in my dash, so I finally put the arm rest in thats been sitting in my basement. Need to paint it black still.

Bottle heater switch & purge button.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Went to the dyno the other day to fine tune the nitrous.

It would spool so fast we decided to spray it all the way through, for ease of tuning.

Wastegate, no nos, was 211hp. Wastegate & 50 shot was 288hp. So a 50shot, and 7psi s252, gave 77hp boost. (pulled 4deg timing while spraying also).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this also. I have a spare 10# bottle from my Formula. Some meth injection would be nice too at higher boost.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Spool looks pretty slow, even with the nitrous. But its hard to tell with that datalog. Is there some way you could put more markers in the plot?

Also, your nitrous lines are way, way too big for that small of a shot. All youre doing is making your shot lag. If you had a properly sized feed line you wouldnt need that stupid purge.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Spool looks pretty slow, even with the nitrous. But its hard to tell with that datalog. Is there some way you could put more markers in the plot?

Also, your nitrous lines are way, way too big for that small of a shot. All youre doing is making your shot lag. If you had a properly sized feed line you wouldnt need that stupid purge.
but purge looks cool :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try & post some better data logs. Spool is less than 3 seconds, once the nitrous hits at 3k, in a 3rd gear roll on. You can really tell the difference driving, so much so, that I now have a 10lb bottle, next to the 5lb.

The higher I go, in the mountains, the more of a difference it makes. Driving up high over the passes, it really helps. I'm always dropping out of boost whenever I hit a switchback(drop to 2nd). It seems like it takes forever to get back into boost, with the nitrous, as soon as I hit the gas I'm out. If I have the nitrous turn off at 10psi, I can't really tell when it turns off, when I'm running 15-20psi. If I have it on above 10psi, i can feel the torque drop when the nitrous turns off.

What size feed line should I be running? Im using a -4 to the solenoid, and a -3 to the nozzle.

(Purge isn't stupid-that's the easiest way to fill up a balloon... )

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn your making me think of spraying now what positions and set up are you using?
I'm using a Nitrous Express efi kit. I'm adding the fuel & pulling timing through one of Neptune's "output" settings.(i use the secondary maps for my meth) I spray at 3000rpm to 10psi(unless i spray all the way through, but I normally use it just to spool)

I have a meth bung 6" from my throttle body, and the nitrous bung another 6"upstream from the meth bung. No problems spraying the nitrous through a 50/50 meth/water mixture.

My wastegate spring is 9lbs, that gives me about 7lbs boost(at 6000', and 211hp no nitrous) I've sprayed the nitrous all the way through, up to 15lbs boost(my medium boost setting, just over 250hp without the nitrous)-I'm waiting till I get my "winter project" engine done before I try spraying 20-25 lbs, or a bigger shot.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Purge is very wasteful. A -4 an line will support something like a 400 shot of nitrous. You can use a much smaller 3mm nylon line with compression fittings.
I once has a -4 feed line, without a purge it took forever to prime the line when first open the bottle and in between sprays there was still a noticeable delay before liquid nitrous made it to the solenoid. I went to the nylon line and all this behavior was cured.

You can get the line and adapters from noswizard.com

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ah, thanks.

I pretty much only use the purge when I change out the bottle, (both before and after,) it does spray out a bunch. Every time I tap the purge, I'm thinking "damn, thats a shit ton of nitrous that just sprayed out..."

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Today there was a dyno/car meet going on up by Ft Collins, co. Its a Dynojet, the numbers were pretty much 50hp higher than the dyno-dynamics I've been using. (I was the only one representing the Dirty-D's, the rest were a bunch of straight-liner B's, my D canyon carver was well received)

(the only difference between the top and bottom line was 50shot nitrous)

Bottom line: 14psi, 40% duty pwm, meth. 303hp

Top line : 17psi, 40% duty pwm, meth, 50 shot nitrous the whole way. 364hp

Middle line: 19psi, 50% duty pwm, meth. 349hp

I had the nitrous activate at 4000rpm. On the street it hits at 3000rpm.

(I think the torque output was off too-on my first run it had the torque plotted also, and it said I hit 406 lb/ft, they didn't show the torque plot after that one showed up...looking at my dyno dynamics chart, could a 50 shot of nitrous compounded with boost = 100 extra lb-ft torque?)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

here was my earlier run on the dyno. I was driving, which I'd never done before, and trying to watch my computer. I wasn't used to how long it took the rpm's to build, it felt like something was wrong about 6k, so I let off before I got to 7k on all the runs. Then after watching a few other cars run, I realized nothing was wrong, I just had to stay on the throttle & let the engine work.

you can tell which ones I had the nitrous on though.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a similar setup. Built block/head with a Gt3040 + water meth. I would be interested running a nitrous shot but wouldnt this be a tuning nightmare?

I am using the D2 input as a trigger

D2 off = low boost map and normal fuel maps
D2 on = high boost map and secondard fuel table + water meth

how would i involve nitrious into this setup? without making it a fundamental that you could not take away? i.e.? if your bottle ran low would this blow out your fuel mapping... make it run very rich and cost you power ? (drown the combustion)?

On a high boost setup, is nitrious only used to spool a turbo faster? or can it be use on top of the whole process? with nitrous do you have to reduce boost and timing? or does it allow you to run more ? (similar to water meth)

Also are you running a dry or wet setup? direct port or single fogger etc? is there any point running a wet setup if you have a programmable ecu (ie you can adjust your fuel mapping for the nitrous air... so why need for a wet nitrous setup?)

Thanks mate :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts