Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by several members of this site,that my goal of 500hp is not feizable, what issues with making 500hp SOHC are there, Im tring to cover all areas, Iv'e made 600-700 on DOHC several times, and made 277 on a bone stock/100k+ D15B.
So far the block was sent to Exospeed for the machine work and sleeves, wouldnt suggest anyone else doing so unless its just going to be serious race car; my ass pocket still hurts from that one. Eagle rods,JE 9.2:1 pistons(waited 9 weeks),one off Long top mount maifold(BMC), Borg Warner S256,Aeromotive A1000 pump (sumped tank), Aeromtive FPR,RC 1600's,sheet metal intake maifold, extensive head work with all Isky dual valvetrain(Z6 head)("The Head Shop"in Houston,TX.). 539.00 in ARP shit. OEM cam and head gasket. I'll be running it on Methanol, you can make power easier with methanol but you have to use twice as much as race gas -( hence the fuel system i have ). I also have the direct port kit allready installed just incase its needed later, I think the goal of 500 is pretty reasonable, let me know of anything you guys can think I will have issues with are notorius problems others have faced.
Thanks, BoostBoy in Houston, Tx.

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
im not one to hate.. but you spent way to much money on a sohc imo.. you could have twice as much power for what you spent with a dohc...
yimmy wtf you're preaching about the tourqeless wonder B too? what the world is coming to.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
well if i had money and was bored i would try to do things that arent normally done as well, i think the main reason D motors are tough to get to 500 is the heads small ports combined with the small pistons. a 1.6 B motor has larger pistons and a shorter stroke so its easier to make more hp. alcohol will help you. in the end even if you reach 500+ you will still be way slow compared to what you could have had if you had put this type of work into a better platform. the D motor is loved by us not because of its power potential, but because its cheap to make decent power and it holds together. but every D lover knows that for any high numbers a D just isnt the route. as much as i like my D i would choose a 700 whp B over a 500 whp D any day of the week, as long as it was free ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iv'e done B's so many times. Thats why I started my other CRX project, its RWD, and I have a F20c for it if I ever get back to it. I dont have to make to 700hp, my car is light; less than 1900lbs with me in it.
Plus I was bored and My B & K series friends said I couldnt do it,
The differnce between me and them - I have the money to build my dreams.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Everything looks good; just had to do a double-take when I saw a stock cam. I'm sure there's a good reason, but why that over aftermarket alternatives.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From research Ive done most aftermarket SOHC turbo camshafts barely have larger lobes than a Stock D15B vtec camshaft with only 10-20 hp gains. Im using the stock D15B camshaft for now, Iv;e also talked to Bisi about it and hes suppose to get back to me a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
500whp on a street car was the goal at first, but my rex is just a drag chassis now, So In my opinion my setup with take me beyond 500 easy.
"The secret is in the Methanol"

·
Registered
752 Posts
I like that. Just because everybody is against it makes you want to do it that much more. Go for it dude and keep us posted.

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
these guys are all silly except vtec bomber... he mustve read some. rota92 is putting down i think 568whp and ran a 10.3 i believe in a full drag 92 si yellow hatch... its an old thread somewhere now. he custom made an adaptor for a d to b tranny setup though since the d tranny becomes the weak link right quick. look him up, he posts on all the honda sites just about.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
4,639 Posts
i think you'll hit your goal for sure people just don't understand the passion lol.

they need to make a d2b kit around the h2b kit price man. god that would help us some more.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts