Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic VX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. New to the site. Helping my son get his 95 VX hatch back in shape after a horrible mechanic botched it all up trying to race it. Well-- long story short, I have replaced and fixed dozens of items and it's almost done--EXCEPT for 4th gear not engaging.

When we first drove the car home, 5th gear would engage but quickly pop out, 3rd gear would grind every time, and the transmission was leaking at every seal, along with the engine.

So-- After opening the transmission, I found: a broken 1-2 shift fork with the chunk of the fork sitting in the trans case, a broken 5th gear synchro ring sitting next to the magnet, and a destroyed input shaft bearing which fell apart immediately after cracking the case open.

I replaced ALL bearings, seals, synchro springs, synchros, and replaced the shift forks unit with a good used one and put it all back together with new 10w30 oil. We also upgraded to a stage 2 clutch, flywheel, t/o bearing and pressure plate, new clutch master and slave cylinder.

Now, when we drive it, 4th gear pops out immediately and wont engage. Now I did have trouble inserting the interlock guide bolt when I reassembled the transmission, and I did notice a dent in the interlock piece itself as well as a small burr on the interlock guide bolt. I found that step of the rebuild to be the toughest and I used the free Autozone on-line repair guide exactly as written and all factory torque specs and order.

Should I buy a new interlock guide bolt and interlock? Is there anything to check for on the used set of shift forks I bought since 4th gear was perfect before I rebuilt this transmission? baffled here....

I am a 45 yr old experienced mechanic, just not with Hondas. Trying to help my son get his 1st car back on the road safely. Any suggestions before I open it up again?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Strip the trans back apart to replace the shift arm and bolt. Forks have a min. thickness listed in the service manual. Replace the clutch with a stock unit.

Tranny pics needed, use postimage.org to host

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic VX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Strip the trans back apart to replace the shift arm and bolt. Forks have a min. thickness listed in the service manual. Replace the clutch with a stock unit.

Tranny pics needed, use postimage.org to host
When you say "shift arm" , which are you referring to? shift arm A, B, or C? Or do you mean the interlock unit and bolt? The car has 140 k miles.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic VX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

and where can I get replacement shift forks if mine are beyond specs? or can I rebuild them somehow by adding material back? I know they are discontinued. I heard they fit from an L3 transmission as well.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic VX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's exactly what my interlock unit looks like now. okay-- I appreciate the confirmation. I ordered one, along with a new interlock guide bolt. When I remove the shift forks, I'll post a picture of each one for you to check out. I have two sets, but the original set of forks has a broken 1-2 fork. One tips cracked off, so I replaced the whole set with a used one that's in the car now... so the 3-4 fork may be further worn than the spec's limit for use. Thank you sir!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts