1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I would have so much fun with that car.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I didnt think you could make that much with a MP62, but knowing him Im sure its heavily modified.

I wonder how many boostses

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It says the blower was gutted and totally rebuilt including light weight carbon fiber rotors (80% lighter) and the blower was said to push 27 psi

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
There were several builds out of Larry's place that didn't perform as expected.

I have the original video file somewhere :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There were several builds out of Larry's place that didn't perform as expected.

I have the original video file somewhere :)
Id be interested to see that video.

It might be a stretch but if it was anywhere near what is described it would still be a NARSTY little honda.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
480hp is impossible out of a blower that size.

the weight of the rotors makes ZERO difference to steady state power output, but it would influence acceleration rates a bit, just like having a light weight flywheel.

Carbon fibre rotors might stay a bit straighter under load so could be run with less static clearance and still not bind, HOWEVER they will also expand more from heat, so will require more clearance from that point of view. They won't make enough difference to be worth mentioning.

There are two things that make boost.

The ratio of volume of air the blower displaces per turn of the engine vs the volume of air the engine displaces per turn and the temperature increase of the air.

Here are some numbers off the cuff without verifying a few facts, so please feel free to correct.

An M62 I think theoretically displaces 62CI per turn of the blower.

62CI is about 1000cc

A 1600cc engine theoretically displaces 800cc per turn of the engine.

The blower cannot safely be reved at over 16000rpm

That is 100% overdrive if the engine is limited to 8000rpm

Simple arithmetic tells us that if the blower is at 100%OD them it pumps 2 litres per turn of the engine.

If 800cc is the displacement NA then 2 litres is 2.5 times that or 22.5 # boost if there is no temperature change or leakage from the rotor/housing surface. There is in reality both, and the temperature effect should be greater, so 28# seems reasonable.

Now look at power which depends mainly on mass air flow.

Say a typical stock high performance D16 runs at 110% VE That equals 880ccper turn

2000/880 = 2.27

Say 130hp oEM times 2.27 = about 300hp before any parasitic losses to drive the blower

In my opinion, about 270hp max on premium pump gas, about 300hp on good racing petrol, about 350 on methanol and about 450 on nitromethane. with appropriate compression, timing and cams for each fuel.

·
Registered
895 Posts
480hp is impossible out of a blower that size.

the weight of the rotors makes ZERO difference to steady state power output, but it would influence acceleration rates a bit, just like having a light weight flywheel.

Carbon fibre rotors might stay a bit straighter under load so could be run with less static clearance and still not bind, HOWEVER they will also expand more from heat, so will require more clearance from that point of view. They won't make enough difference to be worth mentioning.

There are two things that make boost.

The ratio of volume of air the blower displaces per turn of the engine vs the volume of air the engine displaces per turn and the temperature increase of the air.

Here are some numbers off the cuff without verifying a few facts, so please feel free to correct.

An M62 I think theoretically displaces 62CI per turn of the blower.

62CI is about 1000cc

A 1600cc engine theoretically displaces 800cc per turn of the engine.

The blower cannot safely be reved at over 16000rpm

That is 100% overdrive if the engine is limited to 8000rpm

Simple arithmetic tells us that if the blower is at 100%OD them it pumps 2 litres per turn of the engine.

If 800cc is the displacement NA then 2 litres is 2.5 times that or 22.5 # boost if there is no temperature change or leakage from the rotor/housing surface. There is in reality both, and the temperature effect should be greater, so 20# seems reasonable.

Now look at power which depends mainly on mass air flow.

Say a typical stock high performance D16 runs at 110% VE That equals 880ccper turn

2000/880 = 2.27

Say 130hp oEM times 2.27 = about 300hp before any parasitic losses to drive the blower

In my opinion, about 270hp max on premium pump gas, about 300hp on good racing petrol, about 350 on methanol and about 450 on nitromethane. with appropriate compression, timing and cams for each fuel.
Pat, i specifically go to posts like this to read your insight. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
i like how they used a picture of a B16 head... fuckin zeeks...
yep def not a D head. sounds like something built for a magazine. def doubt its near that whp or ran that time

1 - 20 of 75 Posts