Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got two turbos: t3/t4 .63/.50 55 trim and a straight t3 .42/.48 45 trim(i guess). im looking to make a nice streetable turbo. i have an ebay .50/.63 and its sorta laggy imho. looking at the combinations i can make does anyone have any insight to these two turbos?

.42/.63? im guessing really no lag. quick spool but wondering how it would do uptop?

.50/.48 55 trim? im wondering how the t4 .50 a/r compressor housing will effect it. i know the .48 a/r turbine housing will help it spool faster but around what rpm? also when will the turbo start to die off?

i guess what im really looking at is experience with the turbo's. if anyone has any info, please post. my smoking egay turbo has to go.

EDIT: car info. stock d16z6. 2.5" dp to exhaust. ic piping 2-2.5" after IC. looking for 250-300 max and a turbo will little lag.

·
Registered
431 Posts
50 trim with .63 (stage 2) exhaust wheel, you will see full spool around 3500 rpm and you can get to 300hp easier with less boost than an .42 trim. t3t4 all the way!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when would it start spooling? ive been rocking the ebay turbo and i do like the pull it has in the higher rpms but when racing from a dead stop those few seconds till i hit 3k rpms kinda get to me. i'd like a turbo that pulls in the lower end too.

so my .63/.50 55 trim would build full boost by 3500? i can see that happening since i only hit stock wastegate(8.8psi)

any spool characteristics for a .63/.42?

im not really looking for 300 cause i know 300 on a stock d is asking for disaster but 200-250 seems do able. would a .63/.42 do that without dying uptop too much?

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I've said it a hundred times. For that power goal and (stock) internals, 48/60 to4b. Sell those turds and get something "decent". I have a turbonetics 48/63 and hate it. Too laggy imo and my engine is built. I wouldn't use any of those turbos you have. Maybe the t3 (in a bind), and it would make for a pretty reliable setup around 190-200 whp.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bizzar- yea i've read a few of your posts stating the to4b is the way to go. seeing that its comparable to the t3 super 60 trim i dont see why it wouldnt be. im just trying to see what i can do with what i got ya know.

whats the spool characteristics of the to4b btw? im not gonna lie i did look into those turbos as well. seems to fit the bill for my setup goals. just wanna know how they flow throughout the powerband.

btw whats a .48/.63? i thought most turbine housings were either .48 a/r or .63 a/r but im no turbo guru so im should they have a .63 comp housing around.

still would like to know what i can expect out of my .50 a/r comp 55mm ind/75mm exd with a .48 a/r turbine housing?

·
Registered
431 Posts
the stage 1 exhaust wheel will give you approximately 3-400rpm quicker spool than the stage2 (.63) exhaust wheel, but will struggle to put down 250-300 whp. If your just after 200hp your golden, but who ever just wants 200hp, when you can have upwards of 400 hp out of a stage 2 with just a little lag, besides if all your power comes in hard at first you will just spin street tires(no fun) you need a little lag to get you out of the hole and moving, so less chance of wheel spin. a little lag is ok IMO. I would say 80% of all stock head hondas producing 2-300 hp are running a stage 2 exhaust wheel (.63) or close to it. Just keep your 50 trim(compressor) .63 (turbine) and get a good tune, you will be infinitely happier. personally I'd stay away from the t04b its old technology and there's soo much better turbos out there. just get a Garrett t3t4 42-57 trim in stage 2(.63)exhaust wheel done..

·
Registered
237 Posts
so i got two turbos: t3/t4 .63/.50 55 trim and a straight t3 .42/.48 45 trim(i guess). im looking to make a nice streetable turbo. i have an ebay .50/.63 and its sorta laggy imho. looking at the combinations i can make does anyone have any insight to these two turbos?

.42/.63? im guessing really no lag. quick spool but wondering how it would do uptop?

.50/.48 55 trim? im wondering how the t4 .50 a/r compressor housing will effect it. i know the .48 a/r turbine housing will help it spool faster but around what rpm? also when will the turbo start to die off?

i guess what im really looking at is experience with the turbo's. if anyone has any info, please post. my smoking egay turbo has to go.

EDIT: car info. stock d16z6. 2.5" dp to exhaust. ic piping 2-2.5" after IC. looking for 250-300 max and a turbo will little lag.
I run the .63/.42 and love it! Smooth power band great for the street

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zchatch88: when does boost kick in and when does it die off?

thanks everyone for all the info. im still looking a combination that fits my needs but this information helped a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts