5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this possiable ???
bottom end
eagle/vitara rods pistons
acl race bearings main and rod
micropolished crank
arp head studs

head- stock but shaved as much as possiable to bump compression up a little it just got out of hot tank yesterday

turbo bits
skunk 2 intake manifold
ls throttle body
2 1/2 inch charge pipes
500 hp intercooler
inline pro 750 cc injectors
3 inch dp and exhaust
now turbo i wanna run something that is not super lazy i want a semi quick spool at least by 4200 rpms i know i am gonna have to run alot of boost which the car will be tuned on hi and low boost. my buddy did to big of a turbo on his stock turbo build and it would rip 1 and 2 and then have to re gain boost in third i was eating him up on 3rd gear pulls with my 50 trim all day long but from a dig he would get me every time. i dont wanna be in the same boat as he was. any help on turbo selection would be great or is 400 hp with a stock head :bsflag: and if it is possiable is it safe. so no im not gonna try to rev to 9000 rpm around 7600 max this is a daily driven car.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
3,888 Posts
i didnt read the post just the title but 400hp is possible on a stock head. look up drunkenmast1 on here. had a old 4door that had 405 at the wheels on race gas on stock z6 head, block was a y8 with only ported oil pump, eagle h beams, and vitaras.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
in order to make 400whp @ 7600rpm on a stock head you are going to need a JACK load of boost.

and its gonna need to be a bigger turbo than what you want.

sorry to break the bad news to you.

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
I did run a 400 hp setup on a stock head. The turbo that I used was a 57 trim t3/t4 .63 .60
Boost had to be at 26 psi in order to reach that goal. Keep in mind though that in I had to shift beyond redline in order to keep the turbo in its sweet spot.
No more power was made beyond redline. If I had a larger TB, better IM, porting done, and a 59300 cam done the whole setup should've seen the same power levels at much lower boost levels, I could've probably used a smaller trim turbo.
I did get full boost by 4500 rpms and honestly I did prefer the topend pull, the lag didnt bother me at all.
Anyhow the bottom line is with some headwork you can make your turbo setup more efficient.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Yep, the main issue with the stock head is flow. You put enough pressure on it, it will flow enough to reach that level, but with some minor headwork you can make that goal with less boost.

Think of a good mild port, unshrouded valves, port-matching TB - Intake - Head, and slightly more aggressive cam(s).

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I had to push mine to 26psi on a 48/63 (stock head/valves/springs/intake/tb) only to see a hair over 380whp :( The goal WAS 400 but it just couldn't do it on that small of a turbo. Well it could... but at that psi level exhaust temps were through the roof and I didn't have the balls to push further. Neither did the tuner as he didn't want to make a mess on his new dyno lol.

edit: for the record anything over 300+ on the street is a damn animal with plenty of hp to take on almost anything. Unless its a track car, no need to push the limits or the wallet. I keep it around 17psi on the street as a daily driver. At that psi it made 275 to the wheels. Still more than enough to make expensive cars look stooopid.

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
I had to push mine to 26psi on a 48/63 (stock head/valves/springs/intake/tb) only to see a hair over 380whp :( The goal WAS 400 but it just couldn't do it on that small of a turbo. Well it could... but at that psi level exhaust temps were through the roof and I didn't have the balls to push further. Neither did the tuner as he didn't want to make a mess on his new dyno lol.

edit: for the record anything over 300+ on the street is a damn animal with plenty of hp to take on almost anything. Unless its a track car, no need to push the limits or the wallet. I keep it around 17psi on the street as a daily driver. At that psi it made 275 to the wheels. Still more than enough to make expensive cars look stooopid.
Very good point. I daily drove mine for years on only 20 psi and pump gas, power was more than enough for the street without slicks ( im guessing maybe 300ish ). For those more realistic goals of a daily driver I could've went with a turbo that spooled quicker while hitting 300-350 hp. Even at 20psi I had to feather the throttle in 3rd at full boost.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Like what was said, it can be done. Turbo size will be important though. If you spend the few extra bucks on a cam, IM, and TB you can get a away with using a 55 trim as I did.

I used a stock ported head, 59300 cam, Edelbrock IM, Professional Products 68mm TB, and a 55 trim Bullseye turbo. Made 400+ on 22-23 psi on E85; not to mention 33x ft lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the help. i did a little turbo searching and i think i found what important looking for since a turbo is a make or break type of thing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its definitely possible. There was a local here a few years back, that did 405 on a stock head / intake manifold / cam and race gas. Think he was on 26 pounds on a 57 trim of some sort, tuned on Crome.

He ended up selling the car but he did get the boot from the track for running an 11.4 or something...

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
Its definitely possible. There was a local here a few years back, that did 405 on a stock head / intake manifold / cam and race gas. Think he was on 26 pounds on a 57 trim of some sort, tuned on Crome.

He ended up selling the car but he did get the boot from the track for running an 11.4 or something...
That would be Brandon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This thread had some good info for me.

Building bottom end of my turbo Y8 as we speak and it's pertty much specced the same as the OP's.

With the turbo in my sig, about how many pounds of boost do you think will be needed to reach 350whp and is it possible with this turbo?

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
its more than possible its super easy you just gotta use a nice and big turbo. the garret t3/t4 50 trim is exactly what my friend used and i tuned, made 479whp @ 31psi stock y8 head.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts