Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. I have had a hinkering for a major project lately. I decided I am going to build a twin engine 4wd turbo'd d-series ej1. I have started on building the second engine now. I am building an identical engine to what I have already in my car to create similar power between the front and rear. My question is, Since I am taking the front clip from a donor car to mount in the rear of my coupe for the rear engine, should I try to adapt the 90's accord/prelude 4ws system as well? Do you think it will improve handeling in this beast? While researching the 4ws system I found they said the added weight of the system made the improvements minimal, but since I am already adding a lot of weight would it actually help?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
91 Civic
1,183 Posts
The prelude girl and teacher(race car drive also) at school. Have been over this. Once you trun the wheels you wont hae any traction if you step the gas too hard mid trun as all of you wheels will be drifting/spinning. But in a low power application i could work. Or atleast thats what they think but i know some 240sx came with superhicas 4wd steering and abt 180whp at the rear with an sr20. Dont know any thing about them tho.
But i know some 240sx

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: sk8rx6

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about putting it opposite of the prelude 4ws really. More along the lines of the vr4 or the gtr 4ws. They turn in the same direction as the front wheels and only pivot 2 degrees. For low speed applications, I agree with you in saying the prelude version with opposing turning radius' would be benefitial.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
ok. I have had a hinkering for a major headache lately. I decided I am going to build a twin engine 4wd turbo'd d-series ej1...., should I try to adapt the 90's accord/prelude 4ws system as well? ?
I have a feeling you won't have that much room to work with in the back for a complicated steering setup that will have minimal effects. You will have you hands full enough with getting 2 turbo engines working together.

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's kind of what I was afraid of. ^ I almost still want to try it anyway. and if doesn't work then take it out.

·
Registered
92 hatchback
1,517 Posts
^ you think you can honestly fab up all that bullshit and make it totally reversible without just sending it to the scrap yard?

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would probably just engineer my own version making it hydraulic which I know the new models were. I am just trying to decide if it is worth it or not. If there wasn't added weight to the rear of the car then I wouldn't even think about it. But since there is added weight and it will not be 4wd there is going to be a problem with handeling and understeering.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Getting 2 turbo engines to be syncronized together is going to be extremely challenging. This isn't going to be as simple as just tuning it, let alone trying to get both trannys shifting together. Just a major headache that won't be worth the gains at all. For what it would cost to make this all work I would rather have a turbo AWD car like a Lancer or WRX.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I would love to see it done.

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said before I am looking for a challenge build. lol. That's why I chose this. I am an engineer with a mechanical engineering degree from Purdue university and when I graduated I found out quickly that most engineers don't actually engineer anything. I am a project manager which is basically a glorified supervisor with design and cost input. This has left a huge void in my life with the engineering aspect gone. The way I see it, the bigger the challenge, the better off I will feel. Even if I fail. Haha

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
Then do it, and dont forget to take pics along the way. I like the idea of 2 engines, although I think a rwd conversion would be pretty sweet. All this has been done before though, except maybe the rear steer conversion.

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have started kind of. I just have started building the sister engine. I have the block tore down and once I get time to machine the cylinder walls to 75.5, the reassembly will begin. At this point I will start a showcase thread. Right now, not much is going on however.

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know it has been done before. the twin engine part at least. That is kind of what inspired me. The twin engine twin turbo talon and the twin engine twin turbo tiburon are the only one's I have found that made it work decently. There are other twin engine cars but usually not turbo'd and they usually run into problems they can't fix. I believe there is another twin engine build here on dseries right now.

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That project is badass. I hadn't found that one yet. I thought I had read all of the projects like this by now. haha. I have been researching this for probably 2 months now.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I say go for it! If you need online opinions and direction, we wil have plenty for you. But take it with a grain of salt. Do want you want and let nothing or no one stop you!

Create a new showcase thread displaying the progress.

GL!

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
With all due respect, my question is...Why?

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, my question to you is why not? I think it will be a fun project. and it will be rewarding if I can get it done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts