Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have an ef with a 4speed in it ,and a d15b.....im going to do the vitara setup...but i was wondering if u should get a 5 speed for the turbo....people ive talked to give me different answers......can u guys shed some light on this subject for me thanks

·
Registered
97' Civic
723 Posts
i'd upgrade to a 5 speed the 4 speed EF trannys have long gear ratios and would not be good on quarter mile times, thats if your aim is to get better 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vitara's in a d15,what rods are you gonna use???
i dont know yet im still searching bro....i thought u could use the z6 eagle rods in it?i dont know if this i true or not thought.....and this car is just to be a budget drag car....so if a 5 speed will help at the track then thats mostlikely what im going to do

·
Registered
337 Posts
imo just go with that 5 speed no doubt and you cant use those rods....
for beefy rods its going to be expensive to stick with a d15..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
For a drag setup I would definately swap to the 5 speed.
I built a kit for a customer on his DOHC ZC (which was mated to the OE 4 speed). I later swapped it out to a 5 speed and it made a world of difference. The 4 speed gears are just so long, too long actually for any type of drag setup.
There is a thread on HT about the SOHC tranny gearing where it has been show to be beneficial to swap either the 3rd or 4th gear into the 5 speed tranny. ( I really can't recall exactly what it is, but I'll look it up). I've always considered it because I have a spare 4 and 5 speed tranny here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that 4sp is GARBAGE! gears are looooooooooooong

get an SI trans :TU:
thanks alot for all the help guys .....but im so confused about this rod thing....does anyone out there know if the tt rods will work,or of anything i can used(again its a d15b,not a b2 or anything)thanks again

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMO if your spending on vitara, rods, etc then you should really go for the 5 speed to get the most out of your setup. For some who just want a basic turbo build then make use with what you got and get the turbo setup running first and later upgrade comes needed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
vitaras and tt rods are a good set up. dont forget all the other things that make that combo work.

ps.5 speed
thanks for all the info guys.....the only reason i was asking about the 4 speed is because,i thought that it would be spooling long then a 5 speed....im just going to throw it out there but this is the coolest forum ive been on so far...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts