Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just found this 4 Channel EGT, and was thinking of buying it for my car:
http://www.aprsworld.com/thermok/

I think this could be a great tuning/monitoring tool, as we could adjust individual fuel trims and monitor problems (such as injector blockages, spark misses, and detonation) pretty easily...

Post up your thoughts...
I personally think this rivals a wideband in usefulness as it actually monitors actual cylinder conditions.

UPDATE - TRYING TO SET UP A GROUP BUY - I spoke to them and if we buy 10 pieces, we can get a 15-20% discount. He could get 5 out quickly, and the balance in the next 3-4 weeks.
I got the names of 2 probe manufactures and will contact them to see what they can do pricing wise. As far as probes are concerned, there will be 2 options - 1) Clamp on for tubular manis and 2) NPT for cast manis. The NPT ones are going to be 5-8$ more per probe. The probe cost will be between 30 and 38$ per piece.

Total cost worst case: $262 for the Thermok (110$) with 4 npt probes (4*$38=$152). Cost will hopefully be less than 262$! I AM NOT IN THIS TO MAKE ANY MONEY! ACTUAL COST WILL BE SPLIT! I am not a business, and I am not affiliated with thermok in any way. I just want to get a good deal and open it up to others. Installing the probes will require drilling you manifold, I can't be held responsible if you can't install it! (I have a rev hard manifold. I will drill 4 holes and will tap them to 1/8th npt) This should take me 1 hour including the time it will take to remove the manifold. After drilling and tapping, you will need to CLEAN the manifold to avoid crap going to the turbo.

Advantages over Wideband:
Each cylinder will be monitored individually. If you have an injector that fails, temperature will shoot up on that cylinder. You will be able to se it and will hopefully back off before melting a piston.
Tuning - you can add fuel to the cylinders that are running hot.
Single wideband though it is great for tuning remains an average of all cylinders. 2 cylinders could be at 15:1AFR and 2 at 13:1 afr and the wideband would still be picking up 14:1...

Current Groupbuy members:

1- GPNY
2- MIKE (Fuck it he's in)
3- Bvukich (for sure if between 200 and 250)
4- lsturbohatch10 (in)
5- Custom Junky (Thermok Unit only - no probes)

If I get 10 people in, I will ask for deposits to keep your slot. I will order the components and put them together and ship them to you as I get them.
I am looking to make this happen in the next 2 weeks if possible.

·
yellow bar for me
3,572 Posts
good find. i need to read up on egt symptoms tho because i have no idea how you would trouble shoot using this. i know its possible. but i dont understand as of right now

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Holy crap thats a good find!! For $125 thats a really good price. Ive seen autometer EGT gauges go for over $200 and thats only for one probe.

It would be far more useful for people who could adjust individual cylinder trims with their engine management. People like me who use crome it would have more limited uses. But hey, if its really only 125 I just may pick one up. hehe

BTW for people who dont know EGT is a good way to tune ignition timing. More timing lower EGTs, less timing greater EGTs. It lets you find that happy medium.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
nice find :TU:, I was looking at getting an egt gauge, I like that one much better

·
Registered
80 Posts
mikeD16Z6 said:
It would be far more useful for people who could adjust individual cylinder trims with their engine management. People like me who use crome it would have more limited uses.
Hit Ctrl+L , look at the 8th table. :)

:TU: You're Welcome :TU:

I rock, I know, dont be afraid to say it :)

Big thanks for this great find. I was just looking for something like this. And at $125 (+ thermocouples/bungs/etc) will be way less expensive, and much cleaner/more professional than four normal pyrometers.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait a second. Since there's so much interest. Let's see if we can set up a group buy. Let's also try to get it with probes...

I believe probes will run about 35-40$ per piece. So Lets say 245$ retail.
Who would be in if we could get it all for like 220-230 per person?
If there's good response, I could try to contact them and a thermocouple vendor for a good deal... Lets try to see if 10 people are interested...

·
yellow bar for me
3,572 Posts
bvukich said:
Hit Ctrl+L , look at the 8th table. :)

:TU: You're Welcome :TU:

I rock, I know, dont be afraid to say it :)

Big thanks for this great find. I was just looking for something like this. And at $125 (+ thermocouples/bungs/etc) will be way less expensive, and much cleaner/more professional than four normal pyrometers.
so you can do individual fuel trims in crome???

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
gpny said:
Wait a second. Since there's so much interest. Let's see if we can set up a group buy. Let's also try to get it with probes...

I believe probes will run about 35-40$ per piece. So Lets say 245$ retail.
Who would be in if we could get it all for like 220-230 per person?
If there's good response, I could try to contact them and a thermocouple vendor for a good deal... Lets try to see if 10 people are interested...
oh, I thought it came with probes. So It's about $245 complete. I wonder how much they would come down if we would do a group buy? I'd still be down to get one.

lsturbohatch10 said:
I'm gonna try that when I get home. If it works mad rep for bvukich because I had no idea about that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
lsturbohatch10 said:
Yep. It's one of those "hidden" options.

Took me a couple of years to notice it. And once I have a 4 channel egt, I will finally be able to try it out. :)

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
so who's in for a group buy?

1- GPNY
2- MIKE (Fuck it he's in) ;-)
3- Bvukich (for sure if between 200 and 250)
4- lsturbohatch10 (in)

Let's try to get people interested...

·
Registered
80 Posts
gpny said:
so who's in for a group buy?

1- GPNY
2- MIKE (Possible)
3- Bvukich (possible)
4- VTECduck (possible)

Let's try to get people interested...

Me for sure if it is in the $200-250 range.

:wq

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
when are we talking about doing it, if it's soon I'm out. I'm trying to refinance my house right now because my payment jumped and I have no money :lol:.

·
Registered
80 Posts
lsturbohatch10 said:
im in and you guys can teach me how to use it
Heh. don't feel bad... I'm in the same boat.

All I know so far (and this may be wrong too) is that:

Add fuel or remove timing, and egt goes down.

Remove fuel or add timing, and egt goes up.

Problem is, I have no idea how to use those principals to tune. Is there an egt "sweet spot" for every engine that you are trying to hit? I wouldn't even know where to start. At this stage, the only thing I am confident I can hadle without blowing my engine up, or just making the tune worse in general, is to just adjust the fuel trims. Anything I learn after that is a bonus.

·
Registered
80 Posts
mikeD16Z6 said:
BTW for people who dont know EGT is a good way to tune ignition timing. More timing lower EGTs, less timing greater EGTs. It lets you find that happy medium.
Awww shit, I'm wrong already. :hammer:

Ok mike, you just got nominated to be the one who will keep me from blowing up my engine :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmmm... While looking at thermocouples, I had a thought (rare, I know). I could get a couple extra thermocouples, and a couple of DPDT (or SPDT and just use a common ground) switches. Then I could use the four inputs on the four cyls for tuning, then when done tuning, I could switch a couple of the inputs to thermocouples in strategic positions along the intake path, e.g., before the turbo, after the turbo, before the ic, and after the ic, or where ever.

Then, along with a couple of extra bugs for boost gauges (anyone know of a nice (cheap) pressure sending unit that gives a linear 0-5v out so I can dl it?), I could calculate turbo & ic efficiency.

Or is that a dumb idea ?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts