Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just remouting my amplifiers in my trunk today and my 4 channel amp started to clip when I connected everything again.

The amp doesn't go into protect mode.

- I am not blowing any fuses nor did I at all.
- I checked my RCA connections in different sequences
- The power and ground is connected solid

Everything was working fine right before I disconnected it.

I don't know the next step in troubleshooting any advice?

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Do a check on all the speakers for proper ohm load and make sure they aren't making a connection to ground anywhere.

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every speaker is set-up 4ohm single and there's nothing being grounded.

I really think that this is an amplifier problem now.

Could not having enough power starve the amp causing it to clip? The amp would hit so much harder before I relocated everything.

What different problems could I run into with a dying amplifier?

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's gotta be the amp. I tried my mono block and swapped power and grounds and rca's and everything else thumps hard. Just the 4 channel is crackling when turned up to a point. What could be wrong internally in the amp does anyone have experience with repairing these things?

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ground is about 1 foot long 10 gauge, 4x40rms at 4ohms. Fuse is rated at 40amps. It's and old school Sony Xm-450 which I got from my dad for free.

·
Registered
100 Posts
An easy check is to borrow a buddy's amp and hook everything up (or throw your amp in his ride) and if you get problems with his then you know it's something in your car and not the amp. That way you can start narrowing everything down.
Make sure you scrape off the paint for the ground also.

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wiring is good because I run two seperate ground cables and power supply cables for my MONO block and my 4channel amp.

Oh and one more thing I noticed, when I hook up the remote to both amps and turn the system off the monoblock amp stays powered on while the 4 channel is off.

Both amps will play and the mono block has no problems whatsoever but the 4 channel will continue to clip and cut-out.

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already knew that, that's why I didn't wanna mention the amp. It was free, and my dad insisted so that's alright I'm not big on Sony anyways.

Anyways I got my amp working It turns out there was a loose rca input plate thing inside. It must have happened when I was messing with the mouting.

Thanks for the help everyone rep will be given and it sounds better than ever :D.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
2 grounds is a bad thing

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it has some ground loop I went and picked up a ground distribution block and a fused power one as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts