Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello People I am interested in use 4.90 final with 225/50/15.

I don't know If this tire heigh is the best choice, combined to this final driveratio.
I think wold help to prevent too much tire slipping on streets.

Should I use a little low tires?

Anyone have tried this final drive ratio? with different tires?

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
i have a 4.9... um, can you even turn bump stop to bump stop with a 225? for autox im going to be running 215/45/16 (front) 215/50/15 (rear)... i dont know if that helps at all. i dont think youll have any prob with tire slipage if its a stock engine... more information would really help out on this. if you do have a built motor and it has tire slipage (and pedaling the gas isnt helping at all) then a better tire would be a good idea. something around the 200ish would be sufficiant. i just dont understand why you would have a loss of traction due to the final drive

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am building a good engine actually.
I am specting around 170hp .

I am trying to keep the power between 6000-8000.
Is for thees reason I fear tire slipping.

ALso Have ever feel like the gearing is making noises, or feel scratcvhing insade?

I want this gearing for drag, And I also fear to breake the gearing, getting traction!

It is safe for drag?

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
im sure the quality of the fd will be fine. unfortunetly i only have and know about infinitude's (which is now known as MFactory). it has worked perfectly for the past year now. i never had any grinds or anything unusual caused by the fd. the gears whine from about 35-50mph but i like that noise anyway.
im sure you wont break the gears with only 170 hp. the final drive and inputshaft are made from stronger materials than your gears anyway. im going to be somewhere around there hopefuly by summer after all my suspension is said and done. i would just worry about getting some really good tires. you are definatly going to want to get good tires, because just stock, it rips my tires loose in first gear pretty good. heres a site where im getting my tires from, they are relativly cheap too; http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2055015/ i would get the toyo proxies all the way on the bottom. for 100 tread wear, $120 is a bargain.

but top end, you wont fill any slipage with the tires, i garantee it. and gas mileage is BARELY effected with the final drive. i do 65mph at 3500rpm. i love the final drive setup. your second gear feels like a normal tranny's first, your third feels like a stock tranny's second and so forth.. a lsd unit would be a very good investment while doing the final drive swap. also, if you have the extra money and time. pick up a zc third and a vx third (to use as your fourth).

over all, i would make sure to pick up a lsd unit, like obx. they are cheap and reliable. and utilize that lsd with some sticky tires. your car will feel like it has way more than 170hp thats forsure. i think youll be happy in the long run.

take your time on the build and make sure to check your clearances!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi,

To bring this discussion further, I would like to raise a question. If i am planning a 4.9 FD on my stock tranny (my ride is 4DR SOHC D16Z6 ride), wil using a 195/55/R15 profile tyre lower my rpm as compare using 195/50/R15 when I am cruising at 100km/h. Is there any other issue which I might be facing if I go ahead with 195/55/R15 profile tyre? Any imput welcome, thank you.

simple

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rpm will be every the same respectively to the transmission. No rpm changeshould be by changind tire heigh.

But yes the car will travel longer distance using higger tire.
It because higger tire cover more distance per wheel revolution.

It also change the Final drive to tire ratio,
Example If you use very lower tire the Final drive to tire ratio will be higger.

I would use 20" tire heigh with oem 4.25 final drive.To keep a higger ratio respectively the gearing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would use 185/50/14 tires for race. to keep higger ratio!

I've used 20"x6" slickswith oem 4.25 and it feel like 4.43

1 - 9 of 9 Posts