Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just dropped in a 3stage vtec in my 97 ek coupe.
Loving this little motor so far. Bought it from hmotors and no problems at all.
I wish to bring a little more performance out of it as I am not satisfied.
I like the idea of using a s/c please don't tell me to turbo. I don't want to turbo.
My question is anyone running a 3stage vtec and have any information to share?
Been searching for information, but cannot find much useful stuff as the 3stage is a rare engine to come by.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love S/C honestly. Love the whine, love that it runs off a pulley instead of exhaust gases. Even though people say with a smaller turbo lag isn't too bad I'd prefer a s/c. Just preference I suppose. Also, it's much more original than your typical single cam build.
Thing is, because of this there is not much information available or parts for that matter.
I've been doing my homework and I find bits and pieces here and there, just wondering what everyone here at Dseries thinks. I mean this is the place to go for advice imo.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't fail me now guys! I'm not too sure how it would work with a 3stage vtec. I mean what about tuning? Wouldn't this prevent a few problems?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Well the only sc i know is the jackson racing one. It should work for you.
Tuning tho will be a little hard because since its 3 stage vtec your need an ecu that can control that. How are you controlling it right now? and your obd2 still?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Currently using my stock y8 ecu. Yeah, I was looking on the jrsc site and it's saying shopping cart coming soon, so I can't look at any of their products. Was thinking about buying the jdm 3stage ecu and harness then hondata and buying the jrsc and taking it to a local high performance shop so they can fine tune everything.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Currently using my stock y8 ecu. Yeah, I was looking on the jrsc site and it's saying shopping cart coming soon, so I can't look at any of their products. Was thinking about buying the jdm 3stage ecu and harness then hondata and buying the jrsc and taking it to a local high performance shop so they can fine tune everything.
for one the y8 ecu is not going to run the motor right.
2. jackson racing stop making there kits you can only find them used.
And yes converting to obd1 will be best to get the most power out of that motor.
Also fyi that motor is only for better mpg not more power.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info on jrsc and converting, but I disagree with you on that the 3stage isn't better for power. Makes the same power as the y8 and has a better bottom end. We all know exactly how shitty the y8 bottom end is. (Spun a bearing is why I have my new motor) Again, I'm not trying to make a 300whp Civic. My aim is reliability with good fuel economy and a fun daily driver. I feel that this engine is the most logical choice.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Thanks for the info on jrsc and converting, but I disagree with you on that the 3stage isn't better for power. Makes the same power as the y8 and has a better bottom end. We all know exactly how shitty the y8 bottom end is. (Spun a bearing is why I have my new motor) Again, I'm not trying to make a 300whp Civic. My aim is reliability with good fuel economy and a fun daily driver. I feel that this engine is the most logical choice.
You do know what 3 stage vtec is right?
Its all for mpg.
You run an ecu that has a build in wideband and you lean burn the more to get max mpg. Most make around 40-50mpg depending on driving habits.

When your under 2k rpm your running on 1 intake vlave pre cylinder.
Then 2k-5k bot intake valves are open then.
5k to red line normal vtec kicks in and gives you a better lift.

But since your not even running the right ecu all your doing is running on 1valve till 5k.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do know what 3stage is. Vtec-E first stage. Second stage normal 16V mode and Third stage is wild cam lobe. You seem to be missing where I am stating my goals for my car.
The perfect mix of fuel economy, power, and a reliable daily driver. I realize my car does not have Vtec at all. Still feels very similar to my y8. Now having established my goals, we can move forward. If I were to want a track car I would make a hybrid z6head/a6block and build that. Since I have driven my car six thousand miles in six weeks, it only makes sense to maximize fuel economy and have a little fun while driving as much as I do. I appreciate the advice, but what I'm looking for is more around the lines of peoples experience with the d15b and if anyones running a s/c or has run one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I am aware my Vtec isn't working. The solenoids are not hooked up. I am working on splicing wires from another y8 harness. Right now my harness on my car is a one wire and my engine has a two wire connector.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Window switch each stage. Get a s/c from a toyota(sc14 maybe?) Fab some carzyness up and see how it does. I have seen a 255hp outta the Eco engine, it can be done. With what your going for forget a JRSC just find you another type of s/c

You could always just spray it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No spray for me man. Thanks for the s/c advice, will definitely be checking that out.
More along the lines of about 180whp(If that much) Lol. 140wtq.
I'm sorry, but what do you mean window switch? Excuse my ignorance lol.
I'm not the smoothest with wiring and such.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
First, look for the 3 stage thread in engine management.

Second, you will need some kind of bypass valve to keep the "economy" in this motor.

It can be done, but it will be also more work. Just be conscious of what you are getting in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do man!
I read some where that the jrsc have a bypass valve and that they do very well one gas.
Thanks a lot for the input. I'm trying to figure out just that haha.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow sounds awesome. :) Thanks brother I'll check that out. Sounds a lot more convenient than what I'm trying. (I don't know much about wiring at all lol.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
You do realize that a supercharger decreases fuel economy, right? If you want fuel economy and some extra power, turbo is the only way to go. A turbo is driven off of wasted energy as opposed to a supercharger that robs your motor of power.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found an sc14 for a reasonable price. Thinking about buying. Can't find any writeups about using it on a dseries. Only b/h. Would it be similar? What custom fab were you referring to?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My engine is already veryyyy good on gas. I'm not sure you understand my goals. I don't expect my gas mileage to sky rocket, I expect it to still be better than my y8 if not equal to and have much more power. I want a balanced car, not a hybrid, nor an over powered gas guzzler. I have stated my goals many times. Please read carefully before replying. I fully understand how a turbo charger operates and how a super charger operates. Thank you for your input my friend.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts