Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Honda Civic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv been looking around at a lot of different sites and haven't really came up with any real solid info on this gen. I just picked a 86 3 door civic(base model) up for $250, and want to swap a cammed d15b7 into it. I realize it is the carbed model since its not the si so I was wondering just how would i do this. Is it possible to use that same intake off the original engine with the carb and put it on the b7? I have heard a lot of people say that gen doesn't have the real d series in it. I'm new to the carb area so that's why im asking.

And for the trans I could bolt the fifth gen si trans on but im guesing the axels wont go through the original hubs. Just what kind of tuning would have to be done for this to happen?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I'm assuming you've VERY new to cars.

The 3rd gen isn't going to accept any d-series without major work, go to Red Pepper Racing for more info. And go there to search not just make a thread.

No the Carb setup will not bolt to a B7 block, and on top of that you'd have to run a non-PGMFI dizzy.

The 5th gen Trans won't bolt to the 3rd gen Civic's block and on top of that the 5th gen Trans is a Hydro trans and I'm fairly certian that the 3rd is cable. After that I'm nearly positive you'll have to get aftermarket axles.

The D has been swapped into this chassis before but it's not as simple as swapping a D into other chassis's.

·
Registered
93 Honda Civic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not completely new to cars, just this gen I don't know anything about. I do realize it is a cable trans, I was saying that IF i could get the b7 to mount in I would get the SI trans for it. But after thinking about it I'm just going to fix it up and sell it due to the fact that its a ridiculous amount of work for a car far from clean. I just needed some answers so I knew where to go with it.

Appreciated the help :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
good find my man ;) i drive an 84 1.3, and i'll be putting a b2 in it in a couple of months. i say go for it, a cammed b7 would be a good little motor for it, mine will be minime'd and put on bike carbs...
as already stated, you should head over to red pepper racing, and 88+ D series into this chassis is by no means straightforward, but if you have the skills and materials, is a very good bang for the buck ;) i've only seen evidence of 3 84-88 chassis with modern d's in, and its pretty hard to find info on those... but it is out there, trust me :)
also as already stated, a teg ZC will bolt straight in (you'll need the teg axels, or at least inner cv's) and at 130 brake stock, is pretty nifty, but they are harder to find than d's...

but if you are abit crazy and want a unique, quick and cheap car, go ahead! heres what you'll need to do (roughly):
a fuel pump and relay of some sort, either a generic fuel pump or an si tank and loom
gearbox: you can either use a 92+ hydro box and convert it to cable, or convert your car to hydro, or you can use a 88-92 cable tranny. the 92+ will be easier to make mounts for (it has a mounting point on the front of it) but you have to convert it to cable, and the speed sensor will be electric (and it has taller ratios, something to keep in mind) the 88-92 will be harder to make mounts for and you might need a specific clutch but it is cable and has awesome ratios ;D if you strike really lucky, you can use an integra d series box that will bolt right in with the right mounts and is cable and everything.
mounts wise, you'll want to use the front engine mount from your civic then you'll have to make up mounts for the front and rear of the gearbox. hasport make a conversion kit for it that will bolt up to any 88+ D series gearbox if you wanna go that route.
once the engines in, you'll need the inner CVs to match the gearbox youre using put onto the standard driveshafts, or a 3 piece shaft from an integra.
wiring wise, use the harness for the engine, splicing it into the current loom where needed. as youre on carbs, there is practically no loom for the engine so that shouldnt be too big a job. or get rywire to make up a conversion harness for you ;)
hidden hurdles:
the D top hose mount will be pointed towards the headlight, making a top hose a bitch to find
i think the exhaust mani will hit the current rad fan shroud, so either use a slim fan or reverse the current one and mount it on the front?

theres a good outline of what to expect, go research as much as you can and decide if its the sort of swap you'd like to take on.
hope that helps :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts