Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i want a decent reliable turbo setup looking to spend around $3000 i'd like to do pistons rods and cam also would this be possible in that price range? I live in a very rural area noone around that knows anything about hondas that means no parts around either so i'm depending on you guys for anything i need to know! I have been reading these fourms for a couple weeks just constantly i'm always on here so please don't just tell me to read around for my info. Thank you i will greatly appreciate any help i can get! Oh and my car is a 1997 civic ex d16y8 its got a skunk 2 intake, aem cai, no name header, magnaflow catback, and a stock clutch that is slipping like no other so i'll be looking into a new clutch also. again thank you!

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
send greg at goautoworks a pm with your budget and your goals. he should be able to hook you up with fat shit

·
Registered
216 Posts
GO-AUTOWORKS.COM

next subject.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thank you for that i've never come accross that site, way better prices. now if i were to get the tuner kit from go autoworks what else would i need to look for i have to get everything together this is my dd and cant have it down for more than maybe a week

·
Registered
216 Posts
youll need injectors a fuelpump and some kind of ecu for tuning,ectune,chrome,or hondata if you have duckets.personally i would do an s300hondata or chrome. i believe there is a brand new hondata on the ''for sale'' thread for 440-480 dollars.

·
Premium Member
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
Thanks for the referrals and checking us out, it is greatly appreciated.

Before you make any purchase, get your tuning situation figured out. Find out who will tune it and what system they can do. If they can do crome reliably then go with that (it is more budget friendly) if you can squeeze in a S300, by all means do.
That will dictate your downtime more than anything.
Along with the turbo kit and management system you'll need the pump and injectors. I can do what I can on price for you when its all purchased together. I highly doubt you'll build a motor within the 3k budget. How much power are you looking for? You may be fine with arps and a hg if its a mild hp goal.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
It is too possible...all you and your endless $$$ supply! LOL Just look in the F/S section here and all of the verious Honda forums around. Hell, I just picked up BNIB Eagle rods, an OEM HG, bearings, seals, & Vitara pistons for only $300 shipped! If you wanna stick with that budget, the key is to be patient and wait till the good deals come around. A built bottom end for $300? who woulda thought! BTW, I'm not going to use the Vitaras.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for the referrals and checking us out, it is greatly appreciated.

Before you make any purchase, get your tuning situation figured out. Find out who will tune it and what system they can do. If they can do crome reliably then go with that (it is more budget friendly) if you can squeeze in a S300, by all means do.
That will dictate your downtime more than anything.
Along with the turbo kit and management system you'll need the pump and injectors. I can do what I can on price for you when its all purchased together. I highly doubt you'll build a motor within the 3k budget. How much power are you looking for? You may be fine with arps and a hg if its a mild hp goal.
wisdom

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your input. Right now I will be looking for around 250whp I think that's a reasonable number to keep the car reliable. But I'd like the setup to be easily upgradable because I will be wanting more power as soon as I'm not depending on it to get me to work everyday.is it possible to put 250whp on the stock motor? Thank you!

·
Registered
585 Posts
250 is possible on stock motor but your tuner better be really knowledgeable about d series engines. i would just shoot for anything over 200 on stock internals that way you are not around the threshold of destruction

·
Registered
nothing
1,447 Posts
you can easily get 250hp with 3k dollars...
as long as you already have a motor!

FJ Distributors .... buy the turbo super kit for 300 and get some rods and bearings...

get an ebay cast turbo mani and ebay intercooler... wg depending on turbo choice, it can all be done if you pick up the right deals....

so what motor are you working with?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok now with that kit from FJ will rods really be required that kit comes with all the bearings only thing missing is the rods. All of you have been a lot of help thank you I'm getting really excited now!

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Vitaras, holset. Easy 3-400 hp and well within the 3k range.

Granny Wagon
237 Posts
hey, just havin a look in here. dont think finding 300hp under $3k would be a problem. ebay's a good start.
firstly with that money, you got options.
does this budget include any suspension or tranny mods you want?
k i'll just write down a few things for you to think about:
firstly, you might consider replacing the block, i've heard just today that y8's have a tendancy to spin bearings, search it.
next a good tune is key to reliability and power. if you're not gonna do that yourself ask at local dyno shops what they'll tune for you. then decide what engine management you want.
do you want an LSD? 300hp needs some control!
you should get all your supporting mods in order first. for instance, suspension, bushings, engine mounts, tires, wheels, etc
fuel pump is a must! you can swap that in before you do anything.
when it comes to turbo choice, find a size range that would suit and with that in mind, a used 1 with a few miles on it would be a far better choice than a cheap new 1 of the ebay variety. quality counts for a lot here and oems are hard to beat (unless you buy a new garrett or the likes but this would be a huge chunk of your budget)
block guards are not essential, ask ryan89crx (i think that's right), if it's gonna blow, a block guard will do little. if you want big boost or displacement go sleeved but then you're prob talkin outside your budget.
the mani you have is purfect :td:
seriously recommend ARP Bolts, even for piece of mind.
exhaust, gotta be bigger than your NA set up a least :)
finally what CR and boost you run depends on your local gas and how much you trust your tune. for this you need a search :)
good luck with the build! :td:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need a new clutch already have suspension I'm thinking exeddy stage one clutch I would like some good motor mounts also and I do plan on buying a new turbo I don't usually trust used things unless I know the parts history. I was thinking of getting the IC and piping on ebay don't think they could mess that up too bad haha. Thanks again I'm getting more advice than I thought I would haha but I appreciate it keep it coming thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
$3k budget is hardly that. you can buy all nice, quality parts and get things done right the first time.
Pfft... that was my original budget and now I am on the backstretch to 10k into my build and my car still doesn't run!

:barf:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts