Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 3G civic hatchback that I am going to turn into my project car and I wanted to get some opinions on what motor I should swap into this beast. Its a 1984 Civic hatch that has the stock 1.3L engine in it. I have had this car for like 10 years now and its been in the family forever...I have always wanted to turn it into a little rally car or something.

What would be a good D-series motor to put in this thing fairly easily? ZC is obviously a good first choice but I was thinking something with a little more power but still easy to put in a 3G.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The ZC and D16A1 are the only easy D-series swap that I know for the 3g civic. On gassaver.org there was a write up on putting sohc and hydro tranny in 2g CRX. Redpepperracing is also a good site for 2g CRX and 3g Civic info.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Are you talking about ZC1 DOHC engine(brown top)?

Why would D16A6 or Z6 be any more difficult? As long as we don't count the electrics.
But I'd go with A6 or Z6.. Well K20A wouldn't be bad either :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Are you talking about ZC1 DOHC engine(brown top)?

Why would D16A6 or Z6 be any more difficult? As long as we don't count the electrics.
But I'd go with A6 or Z6.. Well K20A wouldn't be bad either :)
The original ZC and A1 have different engine mounts. It's not really that big of an issue, but it cuts down on fabrication. If you want personal testimonies for swaps, check out redpepperracing.com

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
no rushi they dont, you need custom mounts to put a SOHC D motor in htem, the DOHC ZC is basically the only drop in route unless you wanna get custom

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always thought it would be cool to turn this old hatchback into a little rally car. Put some off road tires on it, give it a roll cage. I drove the thing for years but now its sitting in my friend's yard with overheating problems. Its still only got 90K on the original motor and chassis. Since I want to build it as and off-road car I don't have to worry about smog requirements. Does anyone know of any other Civics that have been turned into off roading rally cars?

So the ZC will bolt right in with no custom mounts needed?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts