Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. when you have a 3 bar or any map sensor that sees boost, will it still throw a code on your ecu?

2. where's a good place to buy one? is it an oem style replacement?

thinking of getting one for my z6....

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Part # for 3 bar @ summit : MSD-2313

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
9000_red said:
1. when you have a 3 bar or any map sensor that sees boost, will it still throw a code on your ecu?

2. where's a good place to buy one? is it an oem style replacement?

thinking of getting one for my z6....
Stock map sensor will read up to a little less than 11psi. 3 bar is required for more. ECU chip must have 3bar map option selected or it will not work properly

O

·
0 Posts
3BAR is not a direct oem replacement, it requires some minor manufacturing to get it installed on your car. also requires some wiring and soldering.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn. i ordered the summit one, hopefully it's not too bad to install. should be here monday or so...

O

·
0 Posts
your stock ECU will not run it. you msut have some standalone system to use the 3-bar.

·
11,892 Posts
9000_red said:
i didn't know that. i'm using crome, so hopefully, no prob.
Pretty sure crome supports a 3 bar.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, how do i install this thing? cut the wires to my map and put some bullet connectors on?

O

·
0 Posts
you need to go down to the parts store and get a plug for it. then yea you cut your old wires and wire it in. you need to follow the wiring diagram for a 3-bar from hondata's site. it should be a good starting point for you.

O

·
0 Posts
i think the plug is from a 1pin gm 3bar setup. they may have that plug in the electrical section. my parts store has them. you can also buy that plug form hondata for sure.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
oscarmayer said:
you need to go down to the parts store and get a plug for it. then yea you cut your old wires and wire it in. you need to follow the wiring diagram for a 3-bar from hondata's site. it should be a good starting point for you.
I ended up having to go to a junkyard and modifying the one from the junk yard... I just spliced it in, so if I wanted I could go back to the stock map sensor.

MAKE SURE YOU SOLDER IT ON! Never just tape a critical part, and don't use an instant splice for this. It's just too important...

·
11,892 Posts
Could someone (pelsise, 9000_red) please do a brief tutorial on how to do this? I know there is a how to on hondata's site but I'd rather have "real world" write up from a someone that has done it.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
The hondata instructions are really spot on.

http://www.hondata.com/tech3barmap.html

I was NOT able to find the right plug anywhere so I modified one.

To modify the plug, you need to take an exacto knife, look in the map sensor where there are ridges and cut matching grooves in the plugs. You don't need to make it perfect...

To splice the wires, you should strip 1/4inch of the wire, being careful not to cut the wire or yourself, then wrap around the new map sensor harness wires, then solder them one by one, then wrap with good electrical tape. I personally prefer the 3m super 33+ Electrical tape that is available at autozone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts