Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold this guy Vitara pistons a while a go and he just built and dynoed his Y7 motor.

So he is the first on the forums to reach 300whp on the vitaras, although locally i know of 311whp with them(vtec setup though)

here is the info:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1392329

I should be next to pass 300whp on a Y7...but on a 100% stock head.

Im just so happy that i wanted to show you guys..and for those that asked if the pistons could handle 300whp...here it is.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well he doesnt has an Adjustable cam gear...he does have an OEM cam gear...He could get alot more power if he had an adjustable one.. I got 30 peak whp and as much as 55whp in the midrange just by playing with the cam gear.

·
The H Badge is it!
5,657 Posts
fjt said:
well he doesnt has an Adjustable cam gear...he does have an OEM cam gear...He could get alot more power if he had an adjustable one.. I got 30 peak whp and as much as 55whp in the midrange just by playing with the cam gear.
we posted at the same time :)

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
fjt said:
YOUR JOKING RIGHT?

O

·
0 Posts
I've never seen that kinf of power unless something was completely wrong on install and it's being corrected with a cam gear.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everytime we would move the cam gear 1 notch advanced it would produce 10-12 whp.

This is the Dyno graph the first time we hit the dyno, right before the turbo blew on us..this was at 17PSI

We re built the turbo and returned to the dyno 3 weeks later.. At the same boost level it didnt wanted to go above 235whp(we thought the turbo was crap or the cheap intercooler wasnt really helping)...till we started to play with the cam gear...(previously atthe track we had tried to do it but the car ran slower when we tried to move the cam gear 1-2 degrees)
Now look at the graph with the cam gear advanced 3 notches(6 degrees)

as much as 31 whp peak and at some points in the mid range as much as 55whp..This from the stock head/cam and valvetrain..Torque also went up in crazy proportions.
This was from a T3 super 60 at 18PSI.. Now theres a bigger turbo waiting to be installed in search for 300+whp...

which this guy already reached on a Y7 so it is possible.

O

·
0 Posts
it almost sounds like your mechanical timing was slightly off to start and then with adjsuting the cam gear, you actualyl brought it back into specs. I've seen this personally and expirneced it with thicher headgaskets, decked heads, and even work or over tightened timing belts.

I'm not denying the numbers, but I'm working ontrying to help explain why you would have seen such drastic changes. when things are set exact and not worn, or cut shorter or what ever, then the gains are very minimul such as maybe 607hp, but heat also goes up as it's causing the engine to run hotter.

please also remember when dealing witha turbo motor especially, the more advanced you run the hotter it will make the internal and exhaust temps. power may be gained, but it also increases chances of detonation, and again heat which can cause melt downs on sustained loads.

turbo motors prefer retarding. maybe power loss, but much safer, keeps temps down and also helps with spooling.

ona side note: some aftermarket cams do happen to respond better to adjsutments than in stock position.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i am sure the timing was set correctly..I trust my builder..I was there for the whole proces and i can tell you..he's picky in doing things right..and likes to triple check things.

Headgasket is OEM, The temperatures are alright..We did the all pulls in 4th gear and at redline EGT's never passed 1100* F ..thats the higher they went if we did 2-3 consecutive runs.

O

·
0 Posts
What is that in C*? I'm not fimular with it in F* when it comes to exhaust temps. I typically run about 425C when normal 500 on freeway, and racing is about 650 max.

O

·
0 Posts
please though don't get the wrong Idea here i'm not baggin or anything, I'm just trying to point out some reasons for such a large gain over normal ones.

you stated rebuild engine, if the head was decked more than a couple of though, then that woudl also change the timing belt lenght and thus coudl also have some effect. *just thinking about it* but hey If i didn't say it that's is some good numbers. anyway you look at it. me i'm always onthe caucous side. I'm thinking abotu how long it will last at that level of performacne with timing advanced. that woudl be something to certainly look out at.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
that's awesome that >300 has been hit on the vitaras. good thread fjt!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
oscarmayer said:
What is that in C*? I'm not fimular with it in F* when it comes to exhaust temps. I typically run about 425C when normal 500 on freeway, and racing is about 650 max.
425 Celcius = 797 Farenheit
500 Celcius = 932 Farenheit
650 Celcius = 1202 Farenheit

please though don't get the wrong Idea here i'm not baggin or anything, I'm just trying to point out some reasons for such a large gain over normal ones.

you stated rebuild engine, if the head was decked more than a couple of though, then that woudl also change the timing belt lenght and thus coudl also have some effect. *just thinking about it* but hey If i didn't say it that's is some good numbers. anyway you look at it. me i'm always onthe caucous side. I'm thinking abotu how long it will last at that level of performacne with timing advanced. that woudl be something to certainly look out at.
we built the engine once(April of Last year)..went to the dyno and the turbo blew..re built the turbo and returned to the dyno..Engine was untouched.

Now we are talking here about my setup...not this guys 300 whp result..
I(my setup) have been boosted for a year and i have been riding tuned with that amount of timing for 5 1/2 months..Daily at 18 PSI. No head gasket issues or detonation problems... Actually before tunning my spark plugs lasted like 2 weeks..now i just change them every oil change cause they last alot more.

BTW: dont worry i dont think youre trashing the setup.No offense taken

O

·
0 Posts
that's cool. I'm guessing the much mlower compression is offsetting the timming advancement maybe. I'm trying to get a handle aroudn what timing had to do in order to accomplish that kind of rewards. maybe since you advanced it and the comp ratio is so low, it allows it to think it's running higher compression under boosting and that may be a benefit, kinda like a stroker kit on the same block that fice the piston more wrell time and makes the engine think it has larger bore and stroke than it does and so it breaths more.

it's interesting to see the rsults and try to desire the reasons, I guess it's all jsut guessing unless I was to et ahold of one of those cars and run some tests and desifre the results in person as changes were happenning.

anyone else what to chime in on why such drastic reults were gained from timing changes?

·
I also have a cool title
3,124 Posts
ill chime in...oscar i like ur comments but do u have fat fingers or something??? u slur words and miss spell so bad its hard to read sometimes /cry

Im trying to learn something by reading ur comments but i cant fucking read them without guessing what some words are :(

1 - 20 of 46 Posts