Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal is to reach 300hp in my 97 civic. I plan to work on it over the summer building the block and head with boost to make at the least like 280-290hp. Someone before on another forum had told me that 300hp wasn't possible without dishing out a fair amount of money, is that true or is that person just saying nonsense? What PSI would be required for a 300hp range also?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,260 Posts
More reading, there are probably 30 good detailed threads on here that will give you directions to research. Don't just read the setup part, or the end result, look at what they went through to get there, 300whp is doable for a daily, not going to be cheap, but it's attainable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's true. There's so many variables to take into account though. Your tune is probably going to be one of the biggest factors. Definitely doable,I was on 20 psi on my Y7 for a bit but have since turned it down to 12 psi until I can get my new S40 B000 trans in. Haven't made it to the dyno so I can't say how much it was making but I'm running a very conservative timing map.
Rectangle Naval architecture Font Mesh Net

·
Registered
43 Posts
psi means dick.

cheap
fast
reliable

pick 2, the get back with us
I agree. Rule of thumb is 10 hp for every pound of boost. I don't necessarily agree with that formula because there's just too many variables to account for. But let's pretend that's true; then a 106 hp Y7 would need 20 psi to achieve 300 hp which is what OP was asking.That's in a perfect world with everything else being optimal,which we know is never the case. Everyone's setup,parts,tuning,etc are different. Someone making 300 plus on the dyno chime in because I'm curious as well.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Personally, I’ll never mod another daily driver. At least not performance mods. That’s a sure fire way to find yourself bumming rides to work.
My only advice would be figure out what your budget is and then double it. All the little things add up and there’s big things that lots of people don’t seem to plan for. For example, S300 and a tuning session? That’s $1,000+ right there. I see lots of folks thinking they can make some jam on a $3,000 or $4,000 budget. Some of us are spending that much just on a transmission.
Just some stuff to consider. This hobby is an uphill battle. Patience and some deep pockets will get you where you want to be

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,237 Posts
Again as others are saying, PSI does not equal a power level. You pick a power level you'd like to achieve, build the engine to support it, and turn the boost up as needed to achieve it. No boost pressure value is equal for every engine, its an impossible statement to make due to the number of variables involved.

Hadn't watched that vid in a while lol, good times!

With my size turbo, it made 300-310whp at 15psi, with all other supporting mods (see build thread in my sig, sorry long ass read lol).

Currently it's at 20 peak right now in 3rd gear + on 93 pump, and good god does it make my knees weak lol, I'd butt dyno estimate its near the 340whp mark.

It's also flex fuel capable and was tuned on both 93 and E85 as well to try and run additional timing, but the D doesn't like timing. I had HG sealing issues with ever so slightly more aggressive timing used on E even with 11mm head studs, so I havent run the true 370whp E85 tune since the last time I popped a HG about 2 weeks after the last dyno session shown above.

Longevity over peak power for me. Besides on the road course, 300whp is honestly too much in this car. On the street, 300+whp is a blast walking newer Mustangs and Scat Pack chargers and challengers, mildly modded GTIs and STIs, and even random F150 lightning douchebags.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,915 Posts
345 whp on A D16Y5 with a wrong sized turbo. The car got a correct sized turbo and was retuned to just shy of 400 whp, in a del Sol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts