Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what ecu is in a d15b with 3 stage vtec? is the ECU chippable, and what program can do 3 stages?

·
Registered
89 CRX Si
8 Posts
I have had no problems running in 16v mode all the time but 12v mode has a shit load of low end power but it falls off hard at 3000rpm. so just run switched on power to the 12-16 solenoid and use a obd1 or 2 vtec ecu. you should be quite happy till you find the correct jdm ecu

·
Registered
18 Posts
96-00 JDM civic vti stock OBD2 ECU, they all 3 stages ECU........

·
Back to the D
891 Posts
Theres is a thread somewhere here where I took pics of a friend's or my car's ECU. Its a # stage vtec ecu...Search for it... I'm too lazy today to do it....

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay. if i get this engine, i get the ECU with it. i'm not asking about the ECU that's in it. i'm asking about tuning the engine. and i don't want OBD2, because in NYS, i'd have to totally convert to OBD2, for that. i want to be able to just adjust my fuel curves, timing curves, and vtec engagement points...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Alright, I swear I've typed this same information about 3 or 4 times before but I'll give you the cliff notes.

The D15b 3 Stage comes with the P2J ECU which is OBD2... NON chipable.

The best tuning method you could use in OBD1 would be to run an OBD1 P72 from an Integra GSR.

Why? Because this has the IAB output as well as Vtec. So, you run the IAB output to one Vtec solenoid (probably the 12-16 valve solenoid) and run your Vtec output to the normal Vtec solenoid.

From here it's just a matter of good tuning to get it to function properly.

Since you're already interested in tuning it... this shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Any other questions? I'll try my best

·
Registered
96 civic si/ex coupe
17 Posts
The ecu you need is 37820-P2J-003 which i beleive is the OBD2a and 37820-P2J-J11 is OBD2b. Those are the only manual ecu's they made for the 3 stage vtec.
Ive got the same motor but im running one vtec solenoid with the D16y8 intake manifold, transmission, ecu. Your car will run fine without any CEL on but keep in mind the car will not move that quick as it use to from idle to 5500rpm cause youll be on 12v mode. lol The vtec on this motor is a bit stronger tho. Great gas mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the D15B 3 Stage Vtec with the P2J-003 ECU fully installed(Custom Rywire Harness) in my 91 CRX SI......

This is a new conversion and having engine code error......14.....found the
fix for this 3 wire IACV to 2 wire change....

Looking for a VTEC tuner in SoCal to troubleshoot and get the 3 stage Vtec
fully functional......

PM me......Craig

·
Registered
27 Posts
The ecu you need is 37820-P2J-003 which i beleive is the OBD2a and 37820-P2J-J11 is OBD2b. Those are the only manual ecu's they made for the 3 stage vtec.
Ive got the same motor but im running one vtec solenoid with the D16y8 intake manifold, transmission, ecu. Your car will run fine without any CEL on but keep in mind the car will not move that quick as it use to from idle to 5500rpm cause youll be on 12v mode. lol The vtec on this motor is a bit stronger tho. Great gas mileage.

i Have the D15z1 and i am on the p06 computer right now. I redline at 4500 and 5000 in some gears,(3'rd, 4'th, 5'th). I dont have my vtec wired up yet, because i am gettin the p28, in a couple days. There is no vtec on this computer either. I want to know if i run the motor off the p28 ecu, and wire up vtec, will i still redline at 4500, 5000. Is there any restrictions with the D15z1 if you dont use the ecu thats intended for the motor?

·
Registered
107 Posts
zoot, that would run terrible. Get the correct ECU for that motor. The Z6 and Z1 are very very different. The VTEC mechanisms are completely different. The port sizes, cam profiles, injectors,... I could go on and on.

For me, it's stock ECU or the AEM EMS. Everything else is crap. I would love to run a 3 stage VTEC on my EMS, but I have a Y5 mini-me already.

·
Banned
89 Crx
844 Posts

The best tuning method you could use in OBD1 would be to run an OBD1 P72 from an Integra GSR.

Why? Because this has the IAB output as well as Vtec. So, you run the IAB output to one Vtec solenoid (probably the 12-16 valve solenoid) and run your Vtec output to the normal Vtec solenoid.
+1

Thats exactly how i would do it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
zoot, that would run terrible. Get the correct ECU for that motor. The Z6 and Z1 are very very different. The VTEC mechanisms are completely different. The port sizes, cam profiles, injectors,... I could go on and on.

For me, it's stock ECU or the AEM EMS. Everything else is crap. I would love to run a 3 stage VTEC on my EMS, but I have a Y5 mini-me already.
Why would it run terrible? explain more. I dont want to run on the stock ecu because i want to rev higher than the Z1 ecu. I know the Z6 and z1 are two diffrent motors with different spes, but that doesent mean i cant run the P28 on the z1. My question really wasent anwsered, I want know if i can rev higher than 5500 with the p28 ...oh yea please go on and on

·
Registered
62 Posts
So both of those ECUs are for manual transmission correct????

and will also operate a JDM D15B 96' 3-stage v-tec engine?

does anyone have a good pic of this exact engine please?!?

I believe my ECU reads, 37820-P73-003 967-103709, which is this for???

acura integra, isn't it?, ohh, you better believe I am WALKING back to this shop!, LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the JDM d15b engine in my car with the P2J ecu. This is what the car came with from Japan. Planning on replacing it with a P28. Maybe tune with uberdata.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Alright, I swear I've typed this same information about 3 or 4 times before but I'll give you the cliff notes.

Since you're already interested in tuning it... this shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Awesome info.

·
Registered
48 Posts

i have P2J on my car(ek3EUDM d15z6 VTEC E)and last w end i fitted a p28 from d16y8 with conversion cable...

the car start like the CEL :( error code 41

the difference,my car have 1 wire o2 sensor instead 4 wire on the y8

i think about take o2 sensor from z6 or y8 car and fit in mine....

or is possible resolve with a proper ecu work?

thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
i have P2J on my car(ek3EUDM d15z6 VTEC E)and last w end i fitted a p28 from d16y8 with conversion cable...

the car start like the CEL :( error code 41

the difference,my car have 1 wire o2 sensor instead 4 wire on the y8

i think about take o2 sensor from z6 or y8 car and fit in mine....

or is possible resolve with a proper ecu work?

thanks

Yeah, if you used a 4-wire O2 sensor it would more than likely resolve your problem since code 41 is for the O2 heater.

If you need some online reference for wiring up the 4-wire O2 , check out www.hondahookup.com they've got online honda manuals. Get the one for 92-95 civics.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.