Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been saving some money on the side to get my exhaust done on my EG and finally have her hitting the street. About time!!!!

I'm running a turbo set on my hatch so I knew from the beginning I wanted a 3" Mandrel exhaust. Now a good quality 3" exhaust I believed will cost me a lot more so I figure I have mine build, Now this are the piping kits I found:

92 95 Honda Civic Mandrel Exhaust by Trubendz 3 0" Stainless Steel Tubing | eBay

HONDA TK

Mandrel Exhaust Systems Cart

KTeller - Exhaust | Headers | Engine | Suspension | Service | Integrity | Honesty - Shopping Cart

I opt for SS instead of Aluminium because of the quality, not to mention the weather around my way also if I decided to part it with my car I think I will get more money for it.

Now so var the obvious reason money wise will be to go with VRS Exhaust for $250 including shipping, but wanted to hear you guys inputs/experience with any of this companies.
Another question I got is what you get in the kit, are the hangers Stainless as well?
It seems that in all this kits you don't get enough flanges so I was thinking about getting a few V-Band clamps to make my life easier, now I wanted to go Vibrant but they are and arm and a leg, You guys know of any good but more affordable V-Band for Stainless?

And finally the muffler, I know this has been cover over and over, but wanted to know what will be a good option here, don't wanna go cheap since everything is good quality, but I'm not to go and spend more on my muffler alone than on my entire exhaust system.

I'm looking for something that will be quiet NOT a fart can, and if possible something made in stainless steel as well if possible. So far I like the Vibrant stealth black but to keep options open, do they have this same muffler on pure stainless instead of black?

Also there's one muffler brand/model that it gets mention everywhere cause it is good and quiet but I always get confuse with it and I don't know the model number so that I can shop around for it, not sure if is Flowmaster, Magnaflow.

The guy that will do the work for me its awesome, has being doing exhaust for us for over 20 years. He redid my downpipe, made it V-Band, add it two bungs, and welded a flange at the end as well and only charge me $40 for all that and he did it in about 30 mins. Beside doing exhaust they are a one stop muscle car restoration shop from the ground up so the experience is there. He doesn't carry 3" piping so he just said to bring it to him and he will take care of me.

·
Registered
94 Del Sol si
489 Posts
When looking at muffler specs try to find 304ss over 409ss. Even though 409 is stainless it will still rust. A lot of the cheaper options are 409.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
The VRS hangers are not stainless, at least mine weren't.

Make sure you ask them what stainless they're using for your tubing kit. It's probably 409 but you'll want to make sure of that so you can ensure that the correct filler rods are used when welding flanges or welding the kit together. Be aware that most decent mufflers and flanges are 304 stainless.

The kit itself is good quality. I had one bend, the one that goes over the rear LCA, that was a little high and made the fitting a little tricky but otherwise everything was perfect.

They are slip fit kits so you could technically use exhaust clamps to hold it together. I opted to weld flanges onto mine.

As far as keeping it quiet, I would suggest using the largest resonator and straight-through muffler possible.

Here's mine, a 2.5" VRS SS kit with 18" vibrant resonator and 18" 5x8" oval Magnaflow muffler

Don't mind the cobwebs, it sits in the garage a lot ;)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all thank you guys for your replies and please keep the information coming as I feel this can help many members in the future, specially videos showing the muffler you are using and how they sound Also if you can remember the part number(brand/Model) and where and what you paid for it, I think that will help as well.

This is the information I got so far about the material being used by the companies I mention that are selling Stainless Steel 3" exhaust piping:

Thubends according to their description, uses 304 Stainless Steel

VRS Which was the one I chose money wise, doesn't mention in their website at all which stainless steel they are using, so I guess I will call/email them and find out.

Mandrel Exhaust System Actually owns and its the parent company of Trubends, they used 304 Stainless Steel as well according to their description.

KTeller I'm glad you guys mention about the different SS material being used, so I guess I better call prior to ordering. This is the information I got from KTeller's website:

"Material Differences: This Exhaust kit is available in stainless steel and aluminized mild steel. The Stainless Steel we use is T304 when available and at times 409 grade stainless steel. The Aluminized kits should usually last 3-5 years before wear starts but can vary based on location and care taken by the owner. We recommend you spray your welds (high temp paint) and take care of the kit reguard less of material, as this will help with the longevity of any system."

I think it is safe to say that it is better to call prior to ordering from this places and ask them BEFORE you place your order, what type of Stainless Steel are they using/sending you.

Please keep the information coming guys, and if you know about another good place that is not in the list worth mention let me know and I will add it to the list.

I would like to get more info on the mufflers you guys are using, remember quiet is what I'm looking for, and material being used as well.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Prices have gone up for the exact same VRS EG kit! I paid $150 + $25 in shipping years ago though.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
409 is better for exhaust systems, it just doesn't stay pretty. 304 can crack easier while 409 builds a shield of oxidization and is less susceptible to stress/fatigue cracks. That's why 99% of OEM's that use stainless in their exhausts use 409 instead of 304.

Personally I don't keep an exhaust long enough to care, nor do I ever expect to get an expensive kit to fit perfect. Everyone I've known who spent between $350-1000 on a kit always had to mod this or that. Now I only get the cheap ebay crap and change the muffler & resonator to suit. The down side is the non-SS flanges, but v-bands are so cheap that you can just buy a pair and replace the flat flanges.

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
I'm running the KTeller kit. the clamps it came with are shit but i welded the pieces together anyway.. There was a little cutting/trimming to do on some of the lengths of pipe but i think that was done on purpose for getting the proper muffler fit. Overall, I'm happy with the product.

Edit: I don't know much about the kind of muffler you'd want.. I went with the highest flowing muffler I could find.. a Spintech super street something or another.. it's LOUD AS FUCK. not quite comparable to a straight piped truck but you get the idea..

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys for your inputs, I call VRS and they told me for the most part they used 304, but he told me that when I make my order to just put a note to make sure they use 304 SS on my order. So must likely I will order from them.

I have a race pipe and also a free flow vibrant 3" catalytic cut to fit the race pipe, was thinking about using a vibrant muffler as well but undecided at the moment. I will try to get the best bang to the dollar for material, sound, and quality and most important price of the muffler.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Already order my 3" mandrel piping kit from VRS, according to tracking number should be here by Wednesday. Now I'm down to the muffler, this is the one that I have in mind:
Vibrant Performance ::.

but still undecided since there is an american made company that a lot of people are using because its good quality and its pretty quiet. Don't know which one it is:

Dynomax, Magnaflow,
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=11817

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=11826

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=11832

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=11804

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=11831

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1031_1109&products_id=50

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1031_1108_1195&products_id=10

If you know of any other muffler that will be perfect for my application please let me know. Quiet, Non restricted, Stainless Steel and affordable LOL is what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Ive had a 2.5" vrs kit on my car for over 5 years. Its not ss but i live in cali. It started on my car n/a went to a jrsc kit and now i have turbo. The setup hasnt changed except for going from a header to a down pipe. I have an 18" long louvered resonator and a magnaflow performance xl muffler. Always sounded great no matter the aspiration.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
MEGAN makes a decent looking muffler! it also comes with a removable silencer too.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Got my VRS 304 Stainless Steel today, this is all that came in the kit, I must mention that the shipping came pretty quick so big thumps up for VRS:TU:

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
IDK about dynamax but my magnaflow muffler rusted. They use cheap filler materials.

I used Vibrant stainless universal muffler and alot quieter the dyno or magna!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ for some reason the links for the mufflers I like got all screw up, now is fix and you can see the ones that I like so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts