Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm running a 3 inch Mandrel exhaust on my 96 Turbo Civic

I have an 18 in Vibrant Resonator and a Magnaflow Muffler for the rear.

I'd like to get something that will fit in the tunnel of the EK as well as quiet down the exhaust while being straight through.

I don't know the diameter of what will fit in the tunnel, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Well, you can go for the bullet glass packs but they burn out rather quickly. Alot of resonator manufacturers dont tell you what the packing is. Usually cheap fiberglass. Steel wool would be best and Vibrant uses stel wool.

I had a Vibrant but it totally came apart after 2k miles. But it was one of the best resonators ive used. I also had a magnaflow but swapped it for the polished Vibrant universal and cut down alot of drone and sound.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I need to be able to blow some flames if I want...

Yet, not have a cop pull me over if he is directly behind me.

My WG is back into the downpipe.

How far should the placement of these be around the firewall?

Resonator right behind the firewall and then I was hoping a circle muffler under the rear seat area?

6 inches around too big? I think?

30 inches fit? or 14?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=11904

4 inch around?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-14419-Polished-Performance-Muffler-4-Round-14-Body-3-Center-Center-/321357248852?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad2627954&vxp=mtr

How wide is the EK tunnel?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MagnaFlow Muffler 3" Inlet/3" Outlet

Straight Through

5" Round Case

14" Long Canister

20" in Long Overall

$105 Shipped

It fits absolutely perfect in the tunnel in front of the gas tank EG EK DC and muffles great!

Magnaflow 12867

Flowmasters Suck!

Get it guys!

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Well, you can go for the bullet glass packs but they burn out rather quickly. Alot of resonator manufacturers dont tell you what the packing is. Usually cheap fiberglass. Steel wool would be best and Vibrant uses stel wool.

I had a Vibrant but it totally came apart after 2k miles. But it was one of the best resonators ive used. I also had a magnaflow but swapped it for the polished Vibrant universal and cut down alot of drone and sound.
turbos take out a lot of the heat that kills glasspacks though

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Almost feel like your best bet would have an exhaust cut out. But I am in the same boat haha, just not boosted but got me a 2.0 under thurrrrr.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does a 3 inch cut out do when in vacuum? close and use the stock exhaust?

I can see it wearing out really quickly opening and closing with how I drive.

My pulls are rarely very long.

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
3" x 24" summit glasspack with 4" overall diameter will fit in your cars tunnel no problem, I know because I have one. They work really well and cheap too.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You sound like Matt/Bone...

Might wanna check the Insanity/Brilliance Gauge.

It's hard on dumb people.

(What?)

J resonator pipes,

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1629371-cure-drone-1-4-resonance-pipes-aka-j-pipes-aka-helmholtz-tubes.html
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449416

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

Seems to all be referring to the same thing,

maybe meaning something else with the second bit,
but it's too vague for me to figure out.

...Cause I didn't know, Thanks Dan :)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Give the dimensions!

Part numbers change, and companies go out of business!

It looks very Phallic like.

Dan could I get a picture of your Farmyard Variant. ?

In the Pics they seem to make this J pipe before the muffler, but you say tip, so after your muffler?
I can't image you running full dual exhaust.

I need the 1000 word picture please :)

You've got me quite interested... Its so loud in here. Ahah

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I dont have a pic uploaded on the internet and I am having computer problems so I will see about getting a pic up in the future.

Basically it splits from 1x 3" tube right over the rear LCA and splits to 2x 2.5" tubes that each have their own glass pack (both welded together, side by side) and then from there goes to dual tips.

One tip has an insert I made which I bolt in and it makes it a closed J pipe. Then the car basically only has a 2.5" exhaust at that point.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
I run a 3 inch dynomax 36" glass pack attached just behind fire wall, and a magnaflow straight thru muffler. I believe it is 3" ID and 5 or 6" od 24" long. fits nice in tunnel. really loud before turbo. not bad now. had to run a J-pipe before turbo, droned like crazy at highway speeds. J-pips are only good for small frq rang.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts