Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats up D-hoes

As we all know, 3"+ exhaust is the way to go on essentially all turbo setups. Even 200hp builds have shown gains in spool and power when going from 2.5" to 3" exhaust. In the words of Corky Bell, "The best turbo exhaust, is no exhaust"

I would like to compile information about 3+ inch exhaust systems, kits, and parts so that this information is easy to find. Please share your experience with products, or share your DIY approaches. Include pics if possible!

I have collected the following info.

Piping Kits:

Columbia River (mandrel-bends.com)
96-00 Civic, "Mandrel Bent, Tig Welded", "Piping Only. Does not include flanges or hangers."
$149 + Shipping
3.0" Exhaust, 1996-2000 Honda Civic Pipe Kit, Aluminized Columbia River Mandrel Bending

KTeller
Kits available for most Civic/CRX/Integra/Prelude/Accord models
"All hardware, such as: hangers, flanges and clamps are included with this kit"
3" Aluminized Exhaust Piping Kit - $200 + Shipping
3" Stainless Exhaust Piping Kit - $239 + Shipping
Mandrel Exhaust Piping Kits - KTeller

Mandrel Exhaust Systems
Kits available for most Civic/CRX/Integra/Prelude/Accord models
"Mandrel bent exhaust tubing system", "Hardware includes: gaskets, nuts/bolts, steel flanges, hangers and clamps", "All tubing is 16 gauge (.065" wall) and measures OD"
3" Aluminized Steel - $195
3" 304 Stainless Steel - $270
Car Exhaust - Honda - Mandrel Exhaust Systems

"Catback" (More like downpipe back ;)) Systems:

eBay Special #1 (Black Swaggin' Muffler)
"T-304 Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Piping And TIG Welded Steel Flanges", "Tip Diameter: 4.5"/ 114.3mm, Piping Diameter: 3" / 70mm"
$124 - Free Shipping
92 95 Honda Civic 3DR Hatchback JDM 3" Black Canister Catback Exhaust System | eBay

KTeller Complete Exhaust System
Systems for Civic and Integra models, options for stainless/aluminized and the addition of a 14" resonator.
3" Aluminized Steel Exhaust with Oval Muffler & 14" Resonator - $425
3" Stainless Exhaust with Oval Muffler - $450
3" Stainless Exhaust with Muffler & 14" Stainless Resonator - $525
http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kteller-complete-exhaust-systems/g-62619.aspx

Thermal R&D Exhaust System
Available for Civic/CRX/Integra
574 + Shipping
http://www.full-race.com/store/exhaust-systems/honda-civic-eg-ek-em1-coupe-4-door-thermal-research-exhaust-system.html

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Catcback" con't

Skunk2 MegaPower RR
"T-304 stainless steel, are robotically TIG welded, and feature CNC mandrel bends"
$603 + Shipping

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,047 Posts
any oval kits out there?

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
I've used two VRS piping kits for my car and my friends, 2.5" and 3" respectively. Good quality, good price compared to KTeller. The only thing is once I had everything welded up and bought a muffler, I was out about $400 total. Fit was excellent on mine, easily cleared my 22mm ST rear sway bar (which isn't an easy feat on an 88-91 chassis).

My current system is all 3" I had a local shop do. It's not full mandrel bends, but not wrinkle bend either. Can't remember what that's called, but it ended up costing me a lot since I had to redo it to quieten it down.

Edit: Not sure what you're using for a muffler, but a friend turned me onto VMS Racing mufflers on eBay. Apparently they are a Magnaflow knockoff and I love mine, it sounds deep and fairly quiet. He had them on his CTS-V and they sounded excellent on a V8 as well.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used two VRS piping kits for my car and my friends, 2.5" and 3" respectively. Good quality, good price compared to KTeller.
I was looking at that kit as well

HONDA TK

Only $160 for aluminized, but I was turned off by the lack of pics and the ancient looking website. lol

Right now Im leaking towards the KTeller (or maybe the VRS/TK), or trying that cheap eBay system and cutting the muffler off.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Magnaflow,

NOT Flowmaster They are HORRID

Grab some INTERLOCKING v-Band clamps off eBay. ~25$ apiece

Grab a Bellows Flex pipe, one with the coil inside the wrapping. You need this to prevent breakage.

I reccomend merging the dump

Use as many hangers as you can reasonably, mount it up high.

Do not fuck around with the 2 bolt/gasket shit

Dont mount the rear vBand in the low spot, mount it up the slope over the rear LCA so water doesnt settle in it and rust it out.

14x4x9 fits in the back

5 inch Dia x 14 fits under the passenger compartment.

I use a 18 in vibrant after the DP

Also recommend a turn down on the back of the muffler with the extra pipe to keep soot and attention away.

Mount the muffler high and paint it all black VHT when done.

I can talk to the person next to me in a gutted car, when its running NA or turbo, Fluflufluflufluflu.

Cops don't notice it at all, neither do other ricers.

Rolled a baseball through the entire thing

Got the pipe from Canada eBay $60 for the pipe $30 shipped.

·
Registered
00 Civic Coupe
267 Posts
I have a VRS 3" aluminized kit on my 00 coupe. It fits quite well. There are a couple of things that could be better though. At the 90 degree bend, it comes a little closer to the chassis than I like, but it is manageable. You may or may not have to add a little extra piping(depending on your downpipe length). I used a magnaflow 3" center/center 5X8X14 oval muffler. Even without a resonator, it is still pretty quiet and it sounds smooth.

Plenty of clearance on the sway bar.

The 90 degree bend is a little close.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you implying that no imagination is required to read a non-fictional book? or that your exhaust system is fictional?

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
I had some fitment issues with my VRS exhaust kit where it bends over the rear LCA. Because of that, I had to mount the exhaust lower than I would have liked which means that scraping is something that I constantly have to worry about. Also, the provided hangers aren't stainless steel and neither are the flanges.

Whoever you get the kit from, make sure you have them verify what kind of stainless it is before you buy. This is important when it comes time to chose a filler rod to weld the stuff together.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
If you have the scratch, Thermal stuff is effing amazing. I bought my 2.25" system used back in the early 00s and it is still going strong and is only now starting to change tone, but it still sounds amazing.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read that on an old HT thread earlier.

I guess I'm going to pick up the VRS/TK-Honda 3" aluminized kit. I don't plan on running a muffler or resonator. If it's short I'll just weld a little extra pipe on the back to make it stick clear of the bumper.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I read that on an old HT thread earlier.

I guess I'm going to pick up the VRS/TK-Honda 3" aluminized kit. I don't plan on running a muffler or resonator. If it's short I'll just weld a little extra pipe on the back to make it stick clear of the bumper.
So you plan on running a full exhaust minus the resonator and muffler? That sounds like shit imo, when I first put an exhaust on my turbo civic I just installed the piping since I was waiting on a muffler and it has that bumble bee tone to it, might sound different with a 3in but idk for sure.

I used the trubendz brand on ebay for my last two 2.5in mandrel exhaust piping kits, they are good kits but my fitment sucks because I suck at getting everything aligned.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
After building 3 exhausts from scratch using mandrel bends - I said F*** it and went with the ebay shit. It's ended up being cheaper & easier.

My teg has the 2.5" tacotaco version along with a DIY adapter (2.25" flange stub plus 2.25" donut) to adapt to an OEM GSR muffler. Sounds nice & quiet. My next project will utilize the majority of the 3" exhaust connected to a 3" DP & flexpipe; I bought the same "Black Swaggin" kit shown above. Both have very nice mandrel bends and no excess welds. I'm still undecided if I want to get a vibrant muffler or do an OEM+Cutout again. The crap they come with won't wind awards, but you can replace the muffler & resonator with decent parts and still be better off than the mild steel kits.

As far as the "stainless" used, it is indeed a 400-series stainless. My del sol came with some ebay special years back and it hasn't rusted more than a typical OEM 400-series stainless. Only the flanges are getting really ugly since they are plated mild steel.

I don't plan on running a muffler or resonator. If it's short I'll just weld a little extra pipe on the back to make it stick clear of the bumper.
Just get a cherrybomb or house brand from Summit Racing for ~$20 each. They'll slip of the piping and can be welded or clamped. It will sound FAR better. There's actually nothing I hate more than a inline-4 with almost no exhaust, turbo or otherwise.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts