Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few final nitrous questions

I am just about finished my nitrous setup for now. (still need two bottle heaters but I am not too worried about them right now.) My basic setup is a ZEX dry nitrous kit running a 55 shot first, purge kit, traction controller (rpm window switch and lets you pick gear you start spraying in), msd sci, nitrous filter, maximizer kit, ARP head studs, Walbro 255lph pump and AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator, auto meter nitrous and fuel pressure gauges, AEM wide band, NGK 7 series plugs (2 steps colder), intake/header/exhaust. [Compression test ranges from somewhere around 205 to 215 and I am not burning any oil or coolant that I know of (I think my crank seal is leaking some oil but I don't see that being a problem)]

1. Spark plug gap, I have searched multiple forums and I can find plenty of threads on people just asking someone to tell them what gap to set their plugs to, but no one saying why they should go with that gap. Is there an equation something of that sort that helps you figure out what gap would work well or is it trial and error? My plugs say .044 gap but I am thinking that .038 would work better for nitrous. Any input?

2. Reading plugs, when I am reading plugs I thought that you aren't supposed to pull plugs out of a hot engine, do you just put a bunch of anti-seize on them and hope they don't strip or get stuck?

3. The TPS switch in my NMU, I programmed it correctly (I am sure, it isn't that hard.) and it will activate a little before WOT, is this normal? Also while I am driving, should I snap off of the throttle or let the gas out slowly after a run, I have heard bad things about snapping off quickly but I am not sure about that. It seems to me like snapping off would be better but I would like some feedback on that.

4. I think transzex said he melted a piston with a 75 shot on a dry kit, should I wait until I switch to direct port and get better at reading my plugs before I go higher than my 55 shot?

I feel like I am forgetting a question so I will update if I remember but any help is appreciated, I am getting really anxious to use my kit since I just got one of my bottles filled and I have been working on this setup all winter but I want to make sure I understand everything I need to know before I start using it.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A few final nitrous questions

my internets is being screwey at the moment, I am editing it...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
stock plugs, .032" gap, 87 octane, stock timing.

All that extra stuff isn't needed.

SCI I can see, set the fuel cut in the ECU 500 rpm above the MSD chip.

Jumping off the gas when running is only bad if you jump right back into it. My rusty muffler got quite a bit louder......

KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see stock plugs and timing but 87 octane seems like asking for trouble doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
stock plugs, .032" gap, 87 octane, stock timing.

All that extra stuff isn't needed.

SCI I can see, set the fuel cut in the ECU 500 rpm above the MSD chip.

Jumping off the gas when running is only bad if you jump right back into it. My rusty muffler got quite a bit louder......

KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid!
could have said it better myself.

·
Registered
civic
2,086 Posts
use a smaller shot the first time. then gradually upgrade. i used a small shot on mine and the nos was hooked up properly but the head gasket went bad and i shot a rod threw the #4 cylinder wall lol.. so.. check everything before you go using gas.. that would be my 2 cents but yes keep it simple when you go complicated you can mess up waaaaaaaaaay more

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this is my first setup so I am going to say my tune isn't going to be perfect to say the least I'm sure. So 91 octane would be a good idea to run, at least until I get good at reading plugs then. I have a new headgasket since I just did it and the head studs not long ago so I'm not too worried about that.

I think I will go with the stock timing, colder plugs with .032" gap, 91 octane to start out with. I will post the carnage pictures if anything goes wrong, I'm sure you guys will like to see them. lol lets just hope there will not be any, at least not yet anyway, I am trying to beat my friend at the track next week who has a 01 eclipse gt so I might have to change the jetting after a few runs, not sure yet.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
first bottle or two, stay with the 55 shot, learn to read your plugs.

Nitrous will bite you hard if you get too greedy too fast.

Twice Bitten :)

·
Banned
424 Posts
Well this is my first setup so I am going to say my tune isn't going to be perfect to say the least I'm sure. So 91 octane would be a good idea to run, at least until I get good at reading plugs then. I have a new headgasket since I just did it and the head studs not long ago so I'm not too worried about that.

I think I will go with the stock timing, colder plugs with .032" gap, 91 octane to start out with. I will post the carnage pictures if anything goes wrong, I'm sure you guys will like to see them. lol lets just hope there will not be any, at least not yet anyway, I am trying to beat my friend at the track next week who has a 01 eclipse gt so I might have to change the jetting after a few runs, not sure yet.
having owned a nitrous company(we sold alot of kits to england)i would have to ask ahead of time please post pics of the damage! stock timing and a dry kit? good luck man,my advice is this...WET WET WET,and at least decrease the timing a few degrees,please for the sake of your engine go WET!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If we start a wet vs dry debate here this will turn into a 10 page thread real quick...

I got the dry kit because I got a hella good deal on it. I am not going to run higher than the 55 off of it, I am switching to direct port before I try to go higher. But I guess I will take your advice on pulling some timing, 2* should be good. I already have a 3 stage retard box from msd I just didn't feel like hooking it up but I guess I will now.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
2 degrees is a little much for a 55 shot. Id start with 1 degree and possibly even go back to stock timing depending on how the plugs look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts