Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been researching and looking at youtube videos. Gonna do a diy project with a mechanic friend of mine. I want to do an upgrade to the engine. I am seeing options of swapping a D16, B18 or even V6 swaps. My budget for this is conservative and I would like to stay in the $1200 to $1500 range. I think 250-300 hp would be more than enough as I plan to drive this car on a regular basis. I have heard many people say put a D16Z6 head onto my existing engine and add a turbo.

I know the vx transmission is way to talled geared so it will have to go. What are my options for this particular kind of build? Is it easier to build up an engine and not turbo charge it? Is it easier to find a different engine to swap and get to 250hp without the turbo....etc. I do not mind building an engine or adding a turbo but do both have to be done or are there better options there with my hp and budget?

Additionally I am looking at kits, parts and prices. There seems to be a huge difference in turbos and engine kits prices. Is there a happy medium to get good quality at a fair price? Thanks for any advice and help as this is my first big engine project and my first performance build. Luckily I have 2 really great mechanic friends with tools and building talent.

Thanks again for any advice on this project.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
2k wont get you very far. proper turbo kit is roughly 1300. ecu 200+. tuning 80/hr

that's not taking into account for internals, fuel upgrades, engine machine work, misc. parts.

you would be better off finding a high comp b20 from a crv, a b18 non vtec head and a transmission, along with the ecu from the b18. should cost around 2k total and give you closer to 200hp

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,991 Posts
your friends are going to have to be really talented to pull off that budget...

v6 is the only swap that will have the power for cheap enough...but yeah never gonna happen ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I guess I will have to do it in sections. Would you recommend a D16z6 head on my existing engine or a swap to start with. I can save up for a turbo later.

·
5,292 Posts
swap it. k24 or bust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just saw this on craigslist. This looks like a 200hp engine. I guess it could see 250hp without a turbo which would be pretty cool. Is this a good price and what may be the cheapest route to go for money and hp?
Thanks for your help. I will need to do some research and see what this involves with motor mounts, wiring and cpu. Thanks again.
JDM 2003 - 2008 HONDA ACCORD ACURA TSX 2.4L ENGINE K24A - $800

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Not trying to burst any dream bubbles or anything, but to get to the 250-300hp range, and do it reliably, you'll need some more $.

Even with that K24 you found, still need a trans, clutch/flywheel setup, mounts, shift linkages, wiring harnesses, axles, ECU, ECU modifications/hardware/software to make it tuneable if you plan for more HP than stock can provide, probably refresh it with new consumables and maintenance items, etc. Even then, the K24 with a good tune will probably, MAYBE, get you close to 220-230whp in stock form. You'll need cams, valvesprings/retainers, and a good intake/exhaust system to get more. Have you seen the price of k series cams and valvetrain parts? Theres a good 2-3 months of rent/mortgage lol.

Your budget is gonna need to grow a bit more honestly!

As slo said, theres lots of little things that creep up and can nickle and dime you to death if you're not prepared. The best practice is to do your research on this site for the D engine, or some other forum for a K series, then try your best and list out every little item you think you'll need to accomplish your build, then post it on the appropriate forum. We can tell you if your missing something, if something needs custom fab work, etc. Hopefully let you know if there is a large expense you haven't considered.

Trying to be somewhat reliable can get pricy in that power range. The price of a good turbo kit for the D is typically 1/4 of the amount of money you need to properly build and tune the engine reliably, pretty much ignoring the trans internals as well, unless you have a good chunk of some of the expensive parts already laying around for some reason.

Regardless of which path you go down, k swap or turbo D, you'll most likely need 4-5 grand minimum to get the platform in the car with decent parts to make it reliable, and then some to get it properly tuned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. I started a list of parts and prices. You are right. Building a eg for 250 hp is gonna be in the 3 to 5 thousand unless I owned a salvage yard or an aftermarket parts store. It would seem that if I do a budget turbo kit and a d16z6 head with upgraded internals I may be able to do it for 2500 and then I will have to spend extra to get it tuned. I may decide to keep it near 200hp and have a happy daily driver. I mean the car is only a little over 2000lbs so 200hp will get it moving in a hurry anyways. I found engine building kits for d16`s with vitara pistons and eagle rods for good prices online. So maybe a smaller turbo and a rebuilt D16 will be enough to make an EG go fast. Thanks again.

·
5,292 Posts
3-5 of new parts? well fuck me, Im already like 3200 in and that's "used" from members on here lol. the block work and turbo were like 1300, and the trans was another 7 lol. I still need fuel upgrades, cooling, tune.... I thought I was doing it the cheap way

·
Registered
27 Posts
It would be better to dive into B-series (not LS nonvtec) instead given your budget constraint. It would be good to get your hands on a B16b/B18c/b20b short block with a B16a vtec head. These block give much more potential down the road compared to a B16a block because they're physically taller and have larger cranks (same height for b18/20). With skunk2 Pro3 cams & S2 valvesprings you'll be looking at around 230whp all motor. This setup, in combination with a sleeves and 86mm pistons gave us roughly 300whp all motor. I assume it'll be much easier to push hp with a turbo but given your budget I'd hold that off for a while. For now u need B series gearbox, engine, ecu, alternator, distributor (change the coils), starter, gear linkage, IM, tb & header and wiring harness. I do not know your local rates going for these but I assume that you could pull these off junkyards for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I started a list of parts and prices. You are right. Building a eg for 250 hp is gonna be in the 3 to 5 thousand unless I owned a salvage yard or an aftermarket parts store. It would seem that if I do a budget turbo kit and a d16z6 head with upgraded internals I may be able to do it for 2500 and then I will have to spend extra to get it tuned. I may decide to keep it near 200hp and have a happy daily driver. I mean the car is only a little over 2000lbs so 200hp will get it moving in a hurry anyways. I found engine building kits for d16`s with vitara pistons and eagle rods for good prices online. So maybe a smaller turbo and a rebuilt D16 will be enough to make an EG go fast. Thanks again.
Aside from the money I've spent on chassis and trans parts, I cant even begin to estimate how much money I've got in the D, I'm sure the number is pretty close to 6K (that includes the money spent on engine V1).

I'm on engine V2 because I detonated on my first D, cracked a Vitara piston and pulled 2 head studs out of the block haha. That was at roughly 275whp with a completely stock head, too much timing, lots of boost and not enough fuel octane. The first tuner was honestly trying to tune it like a larger bore Honda engine, now that I got properly schooled by JD.

JD tuned engine V2 with the right mindset, lower timing and higher boost, then making small methodical changes to pull up the mid range.

I just recently met my goal of 350whp with engine V2, and that was honestly way harder to do than I thought it would be. I have a B16A in my garage, and if I spent about 6-700 on it getting it refreshed stock and gapping the rings for a turbo application, I could literally take all my go fast parts off the D and boost the B on wastegate pressure and clear 400whp.

Trying to make reliable power with our 75mm bores is harder than most of the other engine offerings Honda has out there. If I had to do it over again, I would probably have gone B. But the D is a fantastic platform to tinker with, just be prepared to spend a decent chunk of change over the years. It took me almost 4 years to get my car to where it is now, and it still looks like shit lol, although it's a quick piece of shit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts