Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings all....
so ive had many many b series and a few kseries builds...
ive never done anything with single cam and have been planning to for the last few years...
so i have a virgin eg hatch to play with and im looking to keep this as my most inexpensive build yet and i want 275-300 whp...
what is my best starting point?
a y8? a z6? od a d15b..?
any reccomendation on pistons and rods?
ill be using an ebay turbo, cast log mani, tial bov and wg...
what can single cam sleeves handle?
sorry for the noob questions...:p
ive been in the honda game for 12 yrs and am a lil ignorant to the single cam scene...time to conquer what i plan on being my last build for a lil bit...
thanks in advance!

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
275-300 is easy enough.

First thing you need is aftermarket rods. No D rod can hold anywhere near what you want for any substantial amount of time.

I prefer Z6.

Sleeves can hold 300 with no problem.

upgrade fuel system: pump and injectors.

Vitara pistons are common. FJ has a vitara/fj r-spec rod combo that's pretty popular.

But you should SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's more information on here than you will ever be able to process. Get on it, learn the single cam, fell the single cam, be the single cam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol...searching atm...thanks for the response...!!!
any more opinions? vitara pistons are good for the power im looking for? do they need any mods?

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
You could benefit from a cam. Cheapest upgrade cam wise I would say a Delta regrind, maybe a 272-2 regrind. It's a Bisi turbo 2.4 clone IIRC. and Delta <$200, bisi = $450. I'm cheap. But it would also require upgraded springs if you are going to stay at stock rev limit, or springs and retainers if you plan on revving it like an S2K. I like Supertech.

Vitara's lower compression a bit, but with the FJ r-spec rods they get a little bump and get closer to stock CR.

You WILL need head studs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can get a y8 swap for 200...whats the benefit of the z6 over the y8? anything major?
thanks again for answering my questions...i want to begin ordering parts this week...
just trying not to overlook anything foolish, ill definitely be using studs and all the other obvious things...i just dont know what the best oil pump/water pump and lil miscellaneous things i dont know from only working with b or k series for so long...
im definitely reading thru here and sifting thru the info...
thanks again...this seems like a nice site...im used to b20vtec...lol

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
y8's sometimes have oil issues that cause the 4th rod to chunk. But people do use them and are successful. Water pumps are all the same if I'm not mistaken. I've never read anything to the contrary.

D's are fun.

Sure you wanna use an ebay turbo? Typical ebay's don't spool till 4K IIRC, you might want to think about a slightly smaller turbo that will spool sooner but will make enough boost to get you to your power goals. Yes ebay turbos can make huge boost, but how much do you really need? Just something to think about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, thats what i was looking for...was just going to ask more specifically, like gsr has oils squirters and a crank girdle...are there differences like that in the different d motors?
im pretty excited about this build actually...its very contradictory to what the crew i race for is wanting me to do, but its something that has been eating away at me for a few years now...
i used to own a bunch of v8 muscle cars back in the day and my original attraction to imports began in the early 90's small motors in light cars going fast...so i finally want to try the true underdog of the honda world...im convinced ill go just as fast if not faster and alot cheaper than my last kseries build... so i kind of have a point to prove with all this when its done...and im ready and antsy to start!

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
No D's have squirters, except for maybe D17's?????????????? I haven't personally read much on D17's.

But they are all girdled.

Hand's down D's are the cheapest. You could probably do a few D builds for what a K build costs.

I'm down for a showcase thread once you start getting stuff in. Car and parts pics and what not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill do that! going to work on it this weekend ill take some pics...as of now its a virgin red auto...i dont even know the model honestly lol(it sits an hour from where i live in my friends shop)... needs a little body work which ill do this winter..but interior is cleeeean as is most of the car and got it for freeeee:D the ebay turbo is something i really want to do, but doubt that i will...id just like to be able to say i did:p

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
auto?:barf:
You are doing a manual swap aren't you? For the love of god, tell me you're doing auto to man.

·
Registered
309 Posts
275-300 is easy enough.

First thing you need is aftermarket rods. No D rod can hold anywhere near what you want for any substantial amount of time.

I prefer Z6.

Sleeves can hold 300 with no problem.

upgrade fuel system: pump and injectors.

Vitara pistons are common. FJ has a vitara/fj r-spec rod combo that's pretty popular.

this^^

my friend is doing about 408 whp tuned by xenocron on a z6 unsleeved. plus fj sells the whole turbo bottom end rebuild kit for about $600 and u can make good power with it. :bigok:

·
Registered
95 Ej/94 Zx9r Ninja
8 Posts
Only downfall to my 226hp z6 turbo was the eBay turbo I could dial up a pizza place before I was spoolin out lol gl with build def go with the vitaras I had eagle rods vitara pistons stock sleeves and it was holding fine

·
Registered
the honda
133 Posts
this^^

my friend is doing about 408 whp tuned by xenocron on a z6 unsleeved. plus fj sells the whole turbo bottom end rebuild kit for about $600 and u can make good power with it. :bigok:
Good info have looked into it and actually helped me decide where to start my build. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Acura TL 6MT
656 Posts
My .002, you should do a lot of research before you consider buying parts... too many people jump in and buy parts, then realise they want something else (done it myself)

...and the search button helps greatly.

its very contradictory to what the crew i race for is wanting me to do, but its something that has been eating away at me for a few years now...
This made me lol.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
z6 bottom end FTW! make sure you port your oil pomp as this will help with flow. the z6 head is good up to 400 hp before major porting is needed. Delta 272-2 also. some guys have made 300hp on the stock cam but a bigger cam def helps.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You could benefit from a cam. Cheapest upgrade cam wise I would say a Delta regrind, maybe a 272-2 regrind. It's a Bisi turbo 2.4 clone IIRC. and Delta <$200, bisi = $450. I'm cheap. But it would also require upgraded springs if you are going to stay at stock rev limit, or springs and retainers if you plan on revving it like an S2K. I like Supertech.

Vitara's lower compression a bit, but with the FJ r-spec rods they get a little bump and get closer to stock CR.

You WILL need head studs.
do you need springs with the just plain 272? i'm looking at getting the 272-2 but i spent alot of money on getting this head rebuild the last thing i want to do is have to pay for more new springs haha

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
do you need springs with the just plain 272? i'm looking at getting the 272-2 but i spent alot of money on getting this head rebuild the last thing i want to do is have to pay for more new springs haha
afaik, you will need new springs because a bigger cam will rev higher, as well as have more lift and so bigger badder springs will be able to deal with the added lift and rpms. SuperTech valve springs are $120 shipped if you look in the right places.

·
Registered
840 Posts
afaik, you will need new springs because a bigger cam will rev higher, as well as have more lift and so bigger badder springs will be able to deal with the added lift and rpms. SuperTech valve springs are $120 shipped if you look in the right places.

any links? i'm not planning on revving past 7.5k unless there is torque to be made but i really think by then i'll be falling off yah know?

now again another question how hard are they to install yourself i don't have the tool i know that i might be able to make one but i've never done springs myself

1 - 20 of 28 Posts