Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well,

Thank you to everyone here at DSO that has helped answer my questions, and others' questions, who have put out good quality information, and who have put out their build threads for me to lurk on. This is by far the best forum I've been a part of. Moving on.

I just got my car tuned yesterday. I made the short drive from Detroit, MI to Toledo, OH to see Aaron at Pure Tuning. I got there WAY too early so I went and grabbed a coffee, washed and vacuumed my car, etc. then headed back. First of all, Aaron was super friendly and knowledgeable. The shop was nice and clean, easy to find, etc. Aaron had never tuned with eCtune, but agreed to give it a shot. I showed him where a couple features were, and that was it, he took over from there. Full tune from scratch cost $600, which I felt was fair for the amount of time he spent tuning the car, and touch up tunes are just billed hourly. Overall the experience was great, and I will be going back to Aaron for touch up tunes as I continue to build my motor.

On to the fun stuff. The car put down 270whp/207lb-ft at 20.5psi. I was really hoping to crack 300whp, but alas, 270 it is. It was an AWD Mustang Dyno set to 2WD mode. Revving it to 7100 rpm, so stock revs. The car pulls hard, and is a lot of fun. I think my head is really choking me up. The lower graph is 207/136 @ 5.5psi. He said this was the highest pump gas D16 he's tuned, which was cool. Also he said it was NOT the rustiest :) He did a 305whp D16 on e85. I can't wait to go back with a built head.

Setup is as follows:

Fuel
93 octane pump gas
Walbro 255HP @ 45psi base pressure
Evo 560cc injectors
Stock fuel rail adapted with an fittings
Stock fuel filter
Go-Autoworks fuel line kit

Engine & Transmission
D16Z6
YCP 75.5mm Vitara's @ 0.0035 P2W
FJT custom lenght I-Beams
Stock crank
I can't remember what bearings I used now :(
OEM Z6 Headgasket
Stock head (no porting, springs, etc)
Stock cam and cam gear
Skunk2 intake manifold
Golden Eagle thermal intake gasket
Stock throttle body
EX S40 transmission, stock
LSD Motorsports 6 puck dragger clutch
Stock axles
NGK BKR7E plugs
NGK wires
Stock dizzy and coil
ARP head studs

Turbo Business
Holset 8 blade H1C CHRA and cold side
Holset HX35 12cm^2 hot side
WG flapper welded shut and 3" vband welded on the hot side
DIY 3" downpipe
eBay 3" exhaust (actually sounds acceptable and was VERY inexpensive)
Tial 38mm wastegate, 5psi spring (need to go to 9lb or larger)
DIY open dump pipe,
SPA cast topmount manifold
AEM dryflow filter
eBay 2.5" FMIC and Piping
eBay Greddy knockoff BOV
MAC electronic boost control solenoid
GM 3 bar MAP sensor
Greddy catchcan with slash cut in exhaust, modified black box, and D17 valve cover
-3AN SS oil feed line
-12AN SS oil return line
Go-Autoworks firewall oil relocation tee kit thing

Misc
97 Civic HX, 349,000 on the body, 49k on the motor
Full interior
Go-Autoworks half radiator w/slim fan
Amsoil Z-rod 10w-30
Amsoil Syncromesh
eCtune
Late 2007 Macbook Pro running XP on VMWare Fusion
Innovate LC-1 w/db gauge and serial logging
Autometer vac/boost and Oil pressure gauges
DIY 60A filled motor mounts
Innovative drivers side engine mount, 60A to replace the OEM liquid filled

I think that covers it?

Future plans
Port & Polish head
Supertech valvetrain
Delta 272-2 Cam
DIY equal length twin scroll manifold w/2 wastegates
OBX LSD
Bigger throttle body
Tial BOV

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Damn man thats nice I would be happy at that power level, im planning on maxing my t3 60 trim out and calling it good (which is around 270hp). Just curious what happened to the d16y5?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have the Y5 and trans. Since this is my DD, I bought a blown Z6 and trans and built it up. Then one weekend I swapped it all over.

It's really nice having a second engine for mocking things up and test fitting stuff. I'm planning on holding onto the Y5 stuff since it seems hard to come by. Just in case I decide to build a hyper-miler or something haha.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
hmmm.... power numbers seem low to be honest.

stock heads have went 400whp, and yes they choke it up but at your power level it should not be that big of a deal

at 20psi I would expect to se another 100whp out of a holset....take the thing to Milan and lets see what it puts down.

and research that 272-2 before you buy....there is a reason im back on a stock cam

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
iirc turboprelude put down over 400 on 24psi, I think that was stock cam too, its been a while.

on 15lbs I trapped 110 and on 20lbs I trapped 115mph....and that's basically on the "basemap" I made and corrected injector offset and fuel is actually almost perfect so I never touched the maps. and I didn't touch timing but it was set to .75 retard per psi. im sure I left a lot on the table as far as tuning is concerned

don't get me wrong, pure tuning is a awesome shop that knows what they are doing, and 270whp is going to be a shit ton of fun.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I also felt the numbers were a little low. But hearing the number from other D16 builds, I was wondering if maybe this wasn't one of those "heartbreaker" dyno's? Where the numbers just aren't there. Not sure.

I need to get some slicks and go out to Milan and get some numbers. We'll see when I can scrounge up some cash for slicks. I'm getting married in September so cash is thinnnnnnn haha.

As far as cams go, from the D16 cam testing that (I think JFK did?) I've seen the bisi 2.4 cam dominates. Are there other 2.4 "clone" grinds that don't crap out? I'm not really interested in getting a Bisi cam.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I need to find a dyno day just to see what mine is making

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
you should boost the y5 instead of the z6 lol, everyone said it couldnt take performance parts like a y8 could and i boosted mine just fine, was hoping some day to reach 300whp with it but i got rear ended now im working with a y8 in my new sedan.

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
Not too shabby man!

I didn't catch it on the first read through of the build list but I knew it was a GReddy Type S BOV, distinctive sound lol.

You need some street ripper videos, seems like a lot of fun.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,239 Posts
Did Aaron mention the 305 whp on corn only lasted 1.4 autocross runs before it spit a rod out of the block????

Engine builders fault. Best we can figure is the Eagle rod bolts were over torqued.

Quite a few of my Cbus area transmission customers use Aaron @ PT for dyno tuning.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Threads like this get me really excited for boosting my current y8 motor swap project.

Can you PLEASE post a quick 1-3 ripper video!?!?!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,239 Posts
Threads like this get me really excited for boosting my current y8 motor swap project.

Can you PLEASE post a quick 1-3 ripper video!?!?!
can you please spam more to try to gain access to FS/WTB sections that you might never see?

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Mustang dynos seem to show the lowest output, if it were on a hub dyno then you would easily see over 300whp. Also revving a little higher might bring power up a little higher. The trap speed in the 1/4 mile will give you a good idea of power, so if you ever hit the track you will know. Or just find a hub dyno near you and see what power you make on that. Remember HP/Tq numbers are just that, numbers.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think only spinning it to 7k is why your power seems low
The holset seems to like the higher RPMs on the 1.6 that's for sure. I'm a little nervous about spinning past 7k on a stock head. That's why I'm thinking springs, retainers, etc. over the winter. I just need to find a good cam. It always seems like everytime I have my mind made up someone chimes in on how theirs taco'd.

Not too shabby man!

I didn't catch it on the first read through of the build list but I knew it was a GReddy Type S BOV, distinctive sound lol.

You need some street ripper videos, seems like a lot of fun.
Hopefully some street rippers to come soon. Yeah, it's a knock off Type S. Seems to be doing the job for now. I'd like to replace it with a Q when I get the funds. But first I need to fix my BLOWN OUT shifter. The thing is so sloppy haha.

Did Aaron mention the 305 whp on corn only lasted 1.4 autocross runs before it spit a rod out of the block????

Engine builders fault. Best we can figure is the Eagle rod bolts were over torqued.

Quite a few of my Cbus area transmission customers use Aaron @ PT for dyno tuning.
He didn't mention that, no, haha. I wonder if he knows? It definitely made me feel good knowing I wasn't too far off from an e85 car. Sucks the guy threw a rod out of the block. Wah wah.

Mustang dynos seem to show the lowest output, if it were on a hub dyno then you would easily see over 300whp. Also revving a little higher might bring power up a little higher. The trap speed in the 1/4 mile will give you a good idea of power, so if you ever hit the track you will know. Or just find a hub dyno near you and see what power you make on that. Remember HP/Tq numbers are just that, numbers.
That's exactly what I figured. I'll take it to the track and put it to the test. It could have dyno'd at 500hp, but that wouldn't mean shit if it didn't have better than a 14 second pass in it. People get hung up on dyno numbers and forget things like suspension, driver skill, weight, etc. I admit, I did get a little hung up on the 300whp number, but I just had to remind myself that, like you said, it's just a number.

I was planning on waiting until I get a set of slicks before hitting the track, but I'm thinking maybe street tires so I can get used to a FWD turbo car and everything. I've done AWD turbo, and RWD n/a, but nothing like this. Might save me from breaking something too.

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words everyone! Makes the busted knuckles and late nights feel worth it.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts