Honda D Series Forum banner

255 feeding 044 cavitating

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Flip 
#1 ·
Okay so I just caught part of my car on fire and melted the paint off the driver door... Had my pumps off my fuel cell and put them in a plastic container full of e85, stupid I know.

So my question is... Can I have my in line 255 feeding my in line 044 on constant voltage strait from the battery? Or is the 044 pulling too much for the 255?

#4 ·
Well I just bought another 044 and put on dual perallel 044s. I shouldn't need a surge tank with just dual 044s right?

My fuel cell is mounted right above 044s. Fuel cell has 2 outlets which i ran to an 8an Y.

One of the 044s is still cavitating. So I ordered a new fitting for the suction side. I am also going to take the check valves off.

Am i doing something wrong other than still fucking with this car?

#9 ·
what filters are you running?

"Pre-filter should be 100 micro and post filter 40 micron. Give or take a little. "

"I solved the cavitation issue by fitting a larger post pump filter. I think the small one was causing excessive restriction. This was causing the pump to cavitate and the fuel pressure to drop off.'

"Cavitation can be caused by trying to push more fuel than is required, or not having large enough fuel lines."

"inline pumps are designed to pump and do a bad job of sucking, which might be causing the overheating of your pump or adding to the issue."

#12 · (Edited)
what filters are you running?

"Pre-filter should be 100 micro and post filter 40 micron. Give or take a little. "

"I solved the cavitation issue by fitting a larger post pump filter. I think the small one was causing excessive restriction. This was causing the pump to cavitate and the fuel pressure to drop off.'

"Cavitation can be caused by trying to push more fuel than is required, or not having large enough fuel lines."

"inline pumps are designed to pump and do a bad job of sucking, which might be causing the overheating of your pump or adding to the issue."
I took the filters off, still cavitating. Pumps come right off the sump of my fuel cell, so they are gravity fed. I will upsize my return.

-6AN is too small of a return for your expected flow.

I would move up to a -8 or -10 at a minimum.

You can never have too large of a return line lol
Going to upsize my return to 5/8" (10an)

IF you were using the tiny strainer that comes with Walboro in-take pumps if the tank get below a certain it will act like you are running out of fuel. If you put a stock length stainer it fix the fuel starvation, b/c I seriously doubt you were experiencing true cavatation. Also if you have never cleaned your tank and the pump had been used for regular fuel for a long while, you may want to see this video to.
Everything I have is new and has never seen anything but e85. (New as in only about 10 gallons of actual run time on whole system)

Btw, I am now running parallel 044's. My fuel cell has two feeds, feeding each pump, then it is plumbed into an 8an Y.

#10 ·
-6AN is too small of a return for your expected flow.

I would move up to a -8 or -10 at a minimum.

You can never have too large of a return line lol

#11 · (Edited)
IF you were using the tiny strainer that comes with Walboro in-take pumps if the tank get below a certain it will act like you are running out of fuel. If you put a stock length stainer it fix the fuel starvation, b/c I seriously doubt you were experiencing true cavatation. Also if you have never cleaned your tank and the pump had been used for regular fuel for a long while, you may want to see this video to.

#15 ·
Foam looks new. I do know what you mean by foam breaking down, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Is the cell completely full of foam, including the sump, not just the sides? Could you be attempting to pull more fuel through the foam with both pumps than is possible near the sump?

I had a small 5 gallon drag cell that was open in the middle and the sump, with foam on just the sides. The pickups were close enough to each other that if running dual pumps, the pump suction could be strong enough where I could see you possibly generating a vortex or a void on the inside of the tank, causing a possible cavitation issue. How big is the sump, or how far apart are the supply ports? Fuel level full?
My fuel cell has foam on sides, space in middle, no foam in sump. Outlets are about 4 inches apart.

I'm going to switch back to the 255 feeding the 044, just to see if it works or changes anything. Right now it is going lean if I give it past half throttle, which I would expect from the cavitating noise.

I would really like to get this thing going before summer is over.

#14 ·
Is the cell completely full of foam, including the sump, not just the sides? Could you be attempting to pull more fuel through the foam with both pumps than is possible near the sump?

I had a small 5 gallon drag cell that was open in the middle and the sump, with foam on just the sides. The pickups were close enough to each other that if running dual pumps, the pump suction could be strong enough where I could see you possibly generating a vortex or a void on the inside of the tank, causing a possible cavitation issue. How big is the sump, or how far apart are the supply ports? Fuel level full?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.