Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a d16a6 block that im in the process of semi building.(blew up the d15b7 couple nights ago) The sleeves are in excellent shape and dont need to be bored out. I will be running Eagle H beam rods with JE SRP std bore pistons. Im gonna use a d16y8 HG for the reason that it is metal, which should be stringer then the paper a6 hg. Now the headgasket will bump my compression up to around 9.25:1 compression, and i might have to have the deck surfaced which will also bump up the compression a tad. Im running on stock sleeves. im going to be using a Garret T3 off from a 300zx, 450 dsm injectors, uberdata, johnny racecar front mount. Now my goal is to be able to make 250whp and to have it run pretty reliable, and i dont wanan crack and sleeves or snap any rods. Is 250whp a retainable goal with my turbo setup and block setup?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jamie, you could just give me the rods and pistons and I'll tell you if it worked :p
I think most people would agree that we are overbuilding our motors for 250whp...."lets just see what another turn on the boost controller feels like" you know how it goes, you always want more, so the internals are the way to go. Any 60 trim t3 should handle 250whp with out much hot air also.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
itstock said:
Im running on stock sleeves. im going to be using a Garret T3 off from a 300zx, 450 dsm injectors, uberdata, johnny racecar front mount. Now my goal is to be able to make 250whp and to have it run pretty reliable, and i dont wanan crack and sleeves or snap any rods.
there are only two reasons why u would crack ur sleeves 1. if u suck and cant tune. the sleeves will crack at the top. and 2. if ur sleeves suck and couldnt handle the power ur motor was making,thus they will crack at the bottom. those are the only reasons ur sleeve will crack as far as weak or bad tunning.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, i think 250whp will be an easy mark to hit. Im not realyy gonna push the limits to much, biggest key is for it to be as reliable as possible.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a big no no. U have to have some rods that will never break for anything. That almost 74 hp to each rod. To my knowlegde, they don't make anything that reliable to hold that pressure. But it's ur car and ur money i wouldn't try it. After that the sleeves will crack and then u will have to start all over!!!!!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
90civicdx said:
That's a big no no. U have to have some rods that will never break for anything. That almost 74 hp to each rod. To my knowlegde, they don't make anything that reliable to hold that pressure. But it's ur car and ur money i wouldn't try it. After that the sleeves will crack and then u will have to start all over!!!!!!!
What the hell are you talking about? :?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's not me in the picture, but I assure you that's what my face looked like when I read that reply lol.

"90civicdx" The eagle rods are rated to like 600whp so I'm sure 250whp won't hurt them.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
90civicdx said:
HAHAHA thats classic! BTW, I also live my life a 1/4 mile at a time haha.

Seriously though. we all know the excess Hp goes to the passanger side floor board, then Blam!!! it blows out instead of your rods so you can shift into 9th and... i'm done

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just skimmed this so dont yell too much but if you havent bought the SRPs dont. They have a high silicone content and basically arent worth the money.

Get some eagle rods and then spend $50 more and get some Arias, Endyn, JE, CP or something like that. If you already have the SRP's it will run 250whp no problem but if possible return them and try to get a different set of pistons. High Silicone containt in pistons=bad

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
civic4ges said:
[quote="beerbongskickass]What the hell are you talking about?
Can't help but laugh when you say that, and look in the face in your avatar!![/quote]

hahahaha

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
90civicdx said:
please read my post above about sleeves cracking

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how much can the stock sleeves handle on the a6 like whp? And i have been hearing that you have to notch the block with certain rods do you have to with the eagle h beam rods?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep the bottom of the block has to be notched out somewhat, im under the impression that the stock d series rods can hold up too 300whp before you run into issues, of course with a good tune.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is there any good rods that you dont have to notch the block?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
itstock said:
yep the bottom of the block has to be notched out somewhat, im under the impression that the stock d series rods can hold up too 300whp before you run into issues, of course with a good tune.
Heh, more like 220whp max or around there. Yes "BoostedED9" made 302whp on a stock block, but that's just crazy. If you plan on going much more than 200whp I would invest in some rods/pistons just to be safe. D-series rods are super tiny. I actually wouldn't be suprised if I snapped a rod, but let's hope I don't.

I wouldn't mind notching my block... $300 for eagles sounds like a pretty good deal if you ask me.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
whitebox said:
is there any good rods that you dont have to notch the block?
there is but if u get eagle rods and pay labor to notch the block u will still be on top as far as price. the next best/cheapest are crowers. i can get those for like 575 new. and thats still a grip

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oops, i meant to type d series sleeves can handle 300whp. Shit i snapped a rod in my d15 a few nights ago and id be lucky if i was making 160whp

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
D series sleeves are pretty strong. On race gas i would take them to 400whp but that wouldnt be for daily driving.

Daily driving i wouldnt think twice about 350whp. Just make sure you dont detonate. I might even go as far as looking into some sort of propane, alcohol, or something of that sort injection to keep my timing moderate but lower the likely-ness of detonation

1 - 20 of 38 Posts