Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone jumps the gun, this is for autox only. I managed a good deal on some barely used kumho 710's in size 225/50/15. However I do not have any wheels for them yet.

So I am looking for wheel recommendations, my current prospect are Rota Slipstreams 15x7 with the +40 offset. Weight/width/look/price they are a great value I think.

I am however concerned for proper offset for such a wide tire, and the problems I my have.

So I am hoping someone here as some experience with doing this setup and can help me.

Any other comments or suggestions welcomed!!!

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
a 15x7 will work. A 15x8 is better, a 15x9.5 better still. To get them to fit on the rear you will have to work with a 15x7 and a +38 offset. Otherwise the tire will hit the trailing arm. Prepare to use lots of static rear camber to keep the tire from rubbing the rear fender.

My suggestion is to use the 225's only on the front. Use 205's for the rear so you don't have to compromise your alignment or find harder to find wheel offsets. For the front, you want a high wheel offset, +45 if you can find it. Be aware that as wheel width changes the corresponding offset does too. When working with really wide wheels, most people just fall back to backspace measurements. You want 5.5"-5.75" backspace up front. You will want to full the front fenders off the tire too, and you'll probably rip the fender liner out in tight corners and hard bumps. Rota has the slipstream in 15x8 for a reasonable price.

All that said, you CAN make it work with 225's all around and 15x7 wheels. Look for something at +38 like I said before and keep the ride height sane. You'll still probably rub a bit, but the lower you go, the worse the rub will be.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Im acctually in SM class because of my supercharger.

Solo-x, so I am going to assume I will have problems fitting a 15x7 with a 40 offset on the rears??? Rubbing the inner fender well useing 225 tire I assume? Spacer would work right? But also like you suggested a narrower tire would be best, especially for autox. With that I am assuming the same setup with 15x8 40 offset in the rear is out of the question for rubbing issues as well?

What problems would I inqure if i used a +38 15x7 with thoe 225 tires upfront? Is that a safe option?

So does anyone recommend what wheels front and back that I should run???

Any places I can buy these types of wheels in pairs instead of sets of 4?

Thankx

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
bump for info... what IS the best wheel/tire combo for autox?

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then that works.:oops:
I want a super/turbo charger...:crying:
Sorry, I can't help you with fitment.
When you get them on, let us know how you like them.
..... and automatic, but thats not the point. These tires have to be better than what I am currently useing ............. all seasons:sadface:

I was on 17's, but they were killing me with their weight, thoe I rarely had traction problems, all seasons = mass understeer, oh well ive learned my vehicle better ....

bump

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
I ran Nitto 450's in 205/50-15. Hated them. Good on the street...not so much at an Autocross.
I can;t wait 'til I get Remoers onl EJ ready for some cone dodgin'

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran Nitto 450's in 205/50-15. Hated them. Good on the street...not so much at an Autocross.
I can;t wait 'til I get Remoers onl EJ ready for some cone dodgin'
Yea our event this past sunday got wiped out by snow =( It wasnt supposed to snow till that evening, oh well. Just another month to autox. No stickies till it warms up (and obviously have wheels for them), but I will be borrowing my buddies 17's in the mean time.

So yea, i need to figure out if +40 in the rears with this setup is going to be a problem?

And then a place to buy the proper wheels ........

·
Registered
229 Posts
+40 on the rear with a 225 tire will likely have the tire rubbing the trailing arm. A spacer can solve this, but you really don't want the rear track wider then the front. Also, as you push the tire/wheel further out, you will then start hitting the fender lip. It is going to be a balancing act any way you slice it. There is no concern with running a +38 on the front beyond getting the tire to clear the fender. You can run a higher offset up front, but again, you don't really want the front track to be narrower then the rear track. You'll be able to get them on the car, but it won't be easy and you'll have to do stuff like roll the rear fenders and work on pulling the front fenders off the tires too.

I've never seen a wheel vendor that wouldn't let you buy wheels one at a time. The Kosei K1 is a nice +38, strong and relatively light option. +40's with spacers front and rear would work too, but you should really get wheel spacers if you use a spacer wider then 2-3mm.

I really hate it when people hijack others threads. If you want to know the best wheel for autocross, start your own thread. Include the class and type of car, because that plays a big part in it.

Reactions: lilred

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
+40 on the rear with a 225 tire will likely have the tire rubbing the trailing arm. A spacer can solve this, but you really don't want the rear track wider then the front. Also, as you push the tire/wheel further out, you will then start hitting the fender lip. It is going to be a balancing act any way you slice it.
Thankx solo-x, exactly what I figured, good thing I havnt bought any wheels yet. Every autoxer I have asked has bassically said the same thing, it will be a balancing act. There is no magic formula.
There is no concern with running a +38 on the front beyond getting the tire to clear the fender. You can run a higher offset up front, but again, you don't really want the front track to be narrower then the rear track. You'll be able to get them on the car, but it won't be easy and you'll have to do stuff like roll the rear fenders and work on pulling the front fenders off the tires too.
Definitly helps, it is what I assumed would be the case, but thanks again for clearing that up.

I've never seen a wheel vendor that wouldn't let you buy wheels one at a time. The Kosei K1 is a nice +38, strong and relatively light option. +40's with spacers front and rear would work too, but you should really get wheel spacers if you use a spacer wider then 2-3mm.
I guess my best option would be contacting the individual vendors and discussing what I want from them. Which with your recommendations solo-x are:

Front: 15x7(7.5 or 8 ) with a +40 or slightly larger offset.
Rear: 15x7 with a +38 offset

Correct me if I am wrong!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I doubt if the wheel vendors are going to be much help. They won't want to give any advice for a non-standard setup if they think there is even a remote possibility that there could be a lawsuit involved. Probably can't hurt to try, but in my experience you won't get much out of them.

You don't HAVE to run a staggered wheel setup if you don't want to. That is just the direction I'd go. Of course, I'd also be willing to hack the fenders and my car isn't used as a daily driver anymore so I don't have to make all the same compromises. 15x7's all around at +40 will work. You might need 2-3mm spacer for the rear (if you go to a bigger spacer, get longer studs) to clear the trailing arm, you might need to roll your rear fenders, and you might need to massage the front fenders too. Or just set your ride height higher. All I can do is tell you the caveats to running such a wide tire on a stock fender'd car. The end decision is yours. Do your research, weigh the pro's and con's of each approach, and decide what works best for your budget, your goals, and your level of commitment.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i didnt like 225s on my car at all... actually i didnt like 225s all around i did rub a little in the rear but playing with alignment helped some, ooo i also rubbed in the front at full lock .. i did however like the staggered setup 205s rears alot beter...

but now im piss poor and back on street tires for the time being.. when i get r comps im just gonna use 205s... too much hassle to run 225s (at least for me it is)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i didnt like 225s on my car at all... actually i didnt like 225s all around i did rub a little in the rear but playing with alignment helped some, ooo i also rubbed in the front at full lock .. i did however like the staggered setup 205s rears alot beter...

but now I'm piss poor and back on street tires for the time being.. when i get r comps I'm just gonna use 205s... too much hassle to run 225s (at least for me it is)
Thanks, I do appreciate your experience and comments. Its great to hear from a personal experience. I am afraid that I will also not like the size of tires, however that will just have to wait till I get them on before I make any decisions on that.

Unfortunately she is my DD, so I really want to avoid doing to much. However, its an experience I must have.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i should rephrase what i said.. though i didnt like the fact that i had to adjus soo much to get them to work... but you cant beat ultimate grip ...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
rear track already 10mm narrower, 5mm per side

1475mm/1465mm

·
Registered
229 Posts
rear track already 10mm narrower, 5mm per side

1475mm/1465mm
At stock ride height. The front track gets narrower as you lower the car. The rear does too, but not as quickly.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I really hate it when people hijack others threads. If you want to know the best wheel for autocross, start your own thread. Include the class and type of car, because that plays a big part in it.
Yeah, thats my bad... sry I know better... :hammer:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
At stock ride height. The front track gets narrower as you lower the car. The rear does too, but not as quickly.
and bump steer....... :(

I wanna flip the tie-rods, then move them forward, quicker steering and no bumpsteer!

How to drill a tapered hole?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts