Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something out-of-the-ordinary for my autocross build, which I'd really like to debut next year.

I'll be building the car for Street Modified, which basically leaves the powertrain free (engine and trans).

I have decided to use a 1989 hatch body (nice and light), and I'd like to use a D-series, probably a Mini-me. I do not want to use more than 1.7L displacement. My minimum weight with a forced induction 1.7L would be 1937 lbs, which should not be a problem.

I have seen some very competitive (on a national level) Hondas do well with 200whp, so why not want some more? I'm looking to make 225-250whp, and I will need a quick-spooling combination. I would really like to use a supercharger, but a quick-spooling turbo would also work.

Any suggestions on combination?

M

·
0 Posts
a garrett t3 turbo with a ar of .42 .48 would spool by 3 grand and hold boost till redline

W

·
0 Posts
There was a local auto-x guy here in Chattanooga that was running a z6 in ef h/b. It had a small volvo turbo and starion intercooler. It would spool super fast and seemed to have no problem staying in boost, even on a tight course. Not sure of the power it was making, but he was owning the class it was in. Was even putting down better times than the carts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
a more reasonable choice to me would be a mitsu 14b or small 16g, they spool plently fast, an evo 16g in my opinion is a great option, very affordable and it makes boost pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
mitsu turbo alone wouldnt hit the mark he's looking for...it would take quite a bit of other parts and good tuning as well...225-250 on a D with any turbo would actualy take all that other stuff as well...i didnt see anything regarding building the engine, just a mini-me, so im assuming he's tryin to get that amount of power just through bolt ons?

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
With that power and a quick spool you will be fighting some serious traction issues exiting corners. Go with the larger turbo, it will spool plenty in time for safe exits and keep the power planted.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
You can look in my Vbpic gallery for my Dyno sheet. I'm making 270hp and 240tq with a super 16g and it spools very well... 2 people on D-Series have had a ride on my 1st tune at 12psi and they'll vouch for the spool...
My Autocross instructors have all also said that my car pulls nicely...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Saab garrett GT17 is pretty small, but might not hit your power goals on a 1.6L, The GT28 woulden't be too bad, espically on bearings. I think a MHI TD05 series turbo might be a little large for what your describing, look for a WRX turbo or a IHI RHB5 Ball bearing turbo or a VF series. Any of those would be good choices for a quick spooling turbo with your power goals.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. Those power numbers are what i'm shooting for, and the 45 trim turbo, which is .42 .48 I thought would be to small to be able to push 225 to 250.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
ccfab said:
a 16g would do it.
yup......very nice turbo, and will match what your looking for.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
gpny said:
You can look in my Vbpic gallery for my Dyno sheet. I'm making 270hp and 240tq with a super 16g and it spools very well
what psi??

to the OP, i think that a straight .42/.48 would work great in this setup. you can get them VERY cheap, spool quick, and hold power through 7500 :TU:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
ryan89crx said:
to the OP, i think that a straight .42/.48 would work great in this setup. you can get them VERY cheap, spool quick, and hold power through 7500 :TU:
ryan89crx said:
id definately go with a bigger turbo if you are looking for 230+
i dont think that .42 cold side will make it at 12psi
So that small turbo will make the numbers on this setup?
I'm only bringing it up because I'm confused. I don't want to be an a-hole.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Printz said:
So that small turbo will make the numbers on this setup?
I'm only bringing it up because I'm confused. I don't want to be an a-hole.
im looking at the low number of 225

in the other thread, the goals were [email protected] on a .42/.48, which is going to be VERY hard to hit
this thread said nothing about psi level, at least i didnt see it. the t3 will make that power, just not at that psi
ryan89crx said:
i dont think that .42 cold side will make it at 12psi

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Printz said:
Thanks, now I get it. Now your saying 225 to the wheels? What would be needed for 250?
for the .42 cold side turbo? a bit more psi, but i wouldnt want to push that turbo too far. id probably max out at 15, some might be a little more ballsy than me though. but i dont think 15 on a .42/.48 will hit 250...

most of the dynos i see on t3 .42/.48 are hitting about 210-215 at 11-12psi

·
Registered
314 Posts
what about a K03? i personally am in love with the dual ball-bearing T28. i'm planning on using one, or maybe a GT28RS once i build the block.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts