1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i bet that setup cost him 10 grand...

plus if you read into it, the numbers appear to be exaggerated

D16A6 motor 1737cc (before was D13B 1.4L and it was on my signature)
Block :
-Darton sleeves
-Machined 78,4 mm Mitsubishi Gallant V6 , 15.2:1 CR ( Damn this semi forged piston was very DAMN TOUGH !! )
-Crower Econo Rods
-Knife edge crank
-Weapon R al. flywheel

Head :
-PnP , Big Port (98cc inlet port)
-Stock valves with 3 angle job
-Isky Valve train
-RS Machine 338 camshaft ( proven power…. I think I gained 6-7 hp from my last cam –that was Bullfrog Gorilla “Gude” HCCS 10 , but this cam was very peaky , so we must rev above 9500 to use the optimum powerband )

Others :
- 4 barel Weber 50mm
- Custom self made stepped header 1-3/4 to 1-7/8

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hmm, interesting.. But I bet my engine would kick ass with it's flat torque for that one lol 8) And perfectly streetable too..

There really seems to be something weird with his power/tq graphs, maybe the cam is total overkill and huge 50mm carbs just don't flow with enough velocity untill 6...7krpm.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah see the 15+ compression is just unbelievable. I really dont think that its worth it to spent that much on a D and not be able to drive it everywhere. My ultimate d has 145whp and 30+ miles to the gallon in the city. But we all have different goals.

·
Registered
857 Posts
My ultimate d has 145whp and 30+ miles to the gallon in the city. But we all have different goals.
Almost 30WHP more, and almost same fuel consumption, normally 27...31MPG mixed. 8)

What I just said about his cam and carbs, he's found the same in his newer, more promising build; http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1313920
Shame he doesn't have torque curves for that one, but should be pretty flat according to power graph.

After seeing this kind of results from different ppl (incl. myself), I really don't think that non-vtec heads would be ~any better than vtec ones, especially if flat tq and fuel consumption is concerned.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i think that is kinda bs, and i bet he spent way too much for that amount of power. now granted i would love 200 n/a hp out of my D, but i realize that i have to work with what i can-the more i think about it the more i realize that anywhere from 160-200 would be perfect

·
Registered
163 Posts
i believe these were the same guys that claimed 160hp just from blueprinting a motor...
Maybe....MAYBE 150 at the crank. I have some friends that club race in a stock class. The d16a6's they run in they're crx's are putting down anywhere form 122-127 to the wheels. Motors are basicaly internaly stock. they are allowed a slight overbore and slight mill on the head, and some gasket matching. No cams or valvetrain upgrade, no cam gears. all oem parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i'd believe it considering on where he's located...the dyno is just sketchy altogether numbers look closer to flywheel numbers...the compression is rediculous, the port work on the cylinder head would make or break that engine

·
Registered
My Crix
1,169 Posts
i'd believe it considering on where he's located...the dyno is just sketchy altogether numbers look closer to flywheel numbers...the compression is rediculous, the port work on the cylinder head would make or break that engine
was said multiple times in the thread that the dyno was most likely off in calibration and i agree. Numbers dont seem to be true.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
i say that setup is making no more than 160 whp.... hell he said it only layed like 170 or 180 to the wheels on his dyno. and i am pretty sure BHP means at the brakes? but he insisted that BHP meant at the Crank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.