Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my d16z6 has 160k now and it's starting to smoke more than when i previously got my car when it had around 137k. it smoked a little every once a while, but not like now. it makes lil puffs where ever i go. im thinking of switching the grade to a much thicker one. i have no power loss, which is great. it's just that it smokes a little more than usual and my oil consumption has been low a lil during long distance driving. i do regular maintenance work on time and have been using 5w30 winter and 10w30 summer. would 20w50 oil be much better, smoke less, and burn less oil? :confused:

·
Registered
Honda Civic Si-T
180 Posts
leave motorcycle oil in motorcycles...dont put them in cars....

but sawdust....sure why not..lmao

·
Registered
137 Posts
i bet you a dollar its the exhaust valve seals... i've seen a number of z6s that smoke but still have clean plugs. mines doing that and i know its the exhaust valves (and the turbo some times)...

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a local trusted mechanic told me from what he thinks is the valve guides. so could this possibly just be a simple head replacement/swap? and the smoking only happens while stepping the pedal (not to the floor) going down a hill. am i on the right track here??

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
change the valve guide seals FIRST, then do compression test. If compression test shows low numbers...time for a rebuild.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts