Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rain has been a PITA in my area and I've been thawing this 8.6 lb pork shoulder for almost two weeks in the fridge. Fearing is was going to go bad, I decided to whip out the old crock pot and see what happens.

There was still ice on the outside of the shoulder in some areas, so spoilage wasn't a real concern. I'm a play it safe person though.

Removed the Cryovac plastic, which had a pin hole in it somewhere, why I used a 9x13 cake pan for thawing so the fridge didn't get bloody.

Trim the thick fat and rub is with this....

Then added 8 oz of stout beer, drank the rest, burp!

Then added 1 TBSP of each of these

Pour it in, and this is what I have sitting on "low" for the next 8-12 hours.

The fat and everything should reduce nicely into a fatty broth. I will try to split it and see if I can make a sauce from it, or use the broth to those some egg noddles in.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
I just picked up an 8# and a 9# shoulder on sale. I am going to do tacos with the smaller one, smoke the other for a football Sunday funday.

Some of the newer crock pots have holes in the lids for probes, and will cook to temp by the probe reading.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine on the "low" setting had everything boiling in 5.5 hours, meat temp was 180-195, so I put it on "warm" and let it go another 5 hours....

The juices really started to come out after that slow cooking.....sweet jesus it just falls apart. I do miss the smoke flavor but this will be simple protein to add to other dishes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts