Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting off the grilling season.
We had a great week of weather here in NW Indy, so I got a new 22" Weber, some cheddar, bacon, jalapeno brats and some steaks to cook this weekend. Mother nature said fuck your nice weather and its now 30s and a north wind. I fired up the Weber any way to cook the brats first.

The old smoker is out of commission, too much rot. I got the Weber for grilling, and I will be getting a vertical charcoal smoker for smoking.

I am also starting on a venturi cold smoker, made from 4" stainless tube.

Steaks tonight.

Brat-elet.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Just a tease, I spent 4/19-4/20 properly smoking

10.5 lb pork shoulder, 10.5 hours at 220-300 degrees (dang wind!) with a mix of Kingsford charcoal, Lump, mesquite chunks, and whiskey barrel white oak.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ribeye and twice baked potatoes, with a few high life's. I may just need to take a nap now.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a tease, I spent 4/19-4/20 properly smoking

10.5 lb pork shoulder, 10.5 hours at 220-300 degrees (dang wind!) with a mix of Kingsford charcoal, Lump, mesquite chunks, and whiskey barrel white oak.
Looks really good. I hate the wind it seems half the time I plan on smoking I get to deal with a 40 mph wind.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
That is grilling, not smoking :)

guard dog looks like he wants to steal a skewer!

The one down fall of my cheap egg is wind egress which stoke the fire. A calm night with 40 degree temps = no headaches, esp. now I know how to load the egg. 3/4 circle of built up Kingsford/Lump/Chunks/Whiskey Sticks and then dump in 15-20 briquettes from a chimney to start the loop. Upper vent at 1/2 unless something is wrong, lower vent at #2 until temps start climbing then choke it down to below #1 (1/2) with the other open slots blocked.

The make a kit to control the temps, but I'm too cheap.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Regulator-Adjustable-Kamado-Adapter/dp/B00A7F1BRY/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1461648063&sr=1-1&keywords=IQ110+Egg[/ame]

·
Registered
983 Posts
i just got a weber kettle. its my first one.

ive been using crappy walmart junk grills so im excited.

at some point this summer i plan to try out smoking some ribs in it. ive got my steak game dialed pretty well. but i havnt made steak on my new weber. pretty stoked about it.

i want to get the slow n sear add on for it but cant justify the price tag right now.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is grilling, not smoking :)

guard dog looks like he wants to steal a skewer!

The one down fall of my cheap egg is wind egress which stoke the fire. A calm night with 40 degree temps = no headaches, esp. now I know how to load the egg. 3/4 circle of built up Kingsford/Lump/Chunks/Whiskey Sticks and then dump in 15-20 briquettes from a chimney to start the loop. Upper vent at 1/2 unless something is wrong, lower vent at #2 until temps start climbing then choke it down to below #1 (1/2) with the other open slots blocked.

The make a kit to control the temps, but I'm too cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Regulator-Adjustable-Kamado-Adapter/dp/B00A7F1BRY/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1461648063&sr=1-1&keywords=IQ110+Egg
I know still looking for a smoker I want. Griller's lounge is not as catchy.

·
endo_bobo
877 Posts
Smoked a roast Sunday and put on some coarse salt with it.Just spread it onto an aluminum tray shifting it around every now and then. Might stick it into another smoking session but it has a hint of smoky flavor.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smoked a roast Sunday and put on some coarse salt with it.Just spread it onto an aluminum tray shifting it around every now and then. Might stick it into another smoking session but it has a hint of smoky flavor.
The wife and I hit up a little store in Jackson Hole that specialized in spices. You wouldn't believe the price on some of the salt there. I sampled some smoked salt from Ireland.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got some nomex for the grill.

I haven't tested it yet.
I ordered a smoker it should be here the 26th.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Got the smoker last Friday. Breaking it in today, not cooking anything though.
It's going to need some extra sealing and some latches to hold the doors closed better.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Country ribs on the left, baby back on the right.
They were on for a few hours, could have gone a little longer to make them fall off the bone, but they were tasty none the less.
First run on the new smoker, took some time figuring it out, but got her to dialed in.

Used a bacon rack for grilling, to hold the baby backs on their sides.

One issue is when you pull the charcoal try out, it dumps ashes all over. I might use one of my extra baking trays to help with that. I am thinking about making a frame to bolt the legs to and raise the smoker up higher.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Krogers had pork should for .99/lb tonight, so I bought two, about 15 lbs today. Freeze one and wait until a cooler nigiht to smoke the other.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wife's family came by with more ribs. Filled the smoker this time.

No pictures of them done, got distracted with a stupid pool project, beer, and a hungry herd of people.
I wrapped them for 4 hours after smoking them for 1 hour, bbqed for another hour after the wrap phase. They came out pretty damn good.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Krogers had pork should for .99/lb tonight, so I bought two, about 15 lbs today. Freeze one and wait until a cooler nigiht to smoke the other.
That cooler night will be tomorrow, 7 pounds already trimmed and rubbed, chillin for tomorrow night.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts