94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats with this 3 cylinder and 1 liter motor?
Its turbo but makes the same amount as a NA d16 hp wise.
Idk it kinda seems like a step forward then a step backwards.

the 2 liter one tho does look like a r18 motor.
Yes, but it has about 50 lb-ft more torque. I am pretty sure that makes a huge difference.

As for the smaller size... I think this will just be for civic EX or something. I think they are focusing on efficiency and slight performance kind of people.

The 2.0 liter has been said to make ~286 hp

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
whats with this 3 cylinder and 1 liter motor?
Its turbo but makes the same amount as a NA d16 hp wise.
Idk it kinda seems like a step forward then a step backwards.

the 2 liter one tho does look like a r18 motor.
Think about it like this. It will have the ability to make the power you need when you want it, but when its at idle, or cruising where power demands are very low, it can be so ultra efficient that it will use drastically less fuel. Its a step forward for sure.

Plus I bet if you delete those cats and upgrade the down pipe and exhaust it will make 5psi more boost and probably 200ftlbs easy!

I wouldnt mind seeing the CC on that thing.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Still would prefer the F20C from the S2K. 125 HP per Liter.... N/A

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
it may be close to the same as a stock d series but its making more torque and the same hp with one less cylinder, thats pretty bad ass in my opinion. i really doubt usa models will see these turbos though, the new civic type r already has one of these turbo motors in it.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
^ I think we will get them. Honda invited Motor Trend (an American magazine) to come to Japan to preview the vehicles. I don't see why they would invite Motor Trend to reveal a product that we would never get...

The Civic Type R Turbo has not gone on sale quite yet. It uses the 2.0 engine shown above

I wouldn't be surprised if Honda made all the US models a little bit slower though lol

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
^ I think we will get them. Honda invited Motor Trend (an American magazine) to come to Japan to preview the vehicles. I don't see why they would invite Motor Trend to reveal a product that we would never get...

The Civic Type R Turbo has not gone on sale quite yet. It uses the 2.0 engine shown above

I wouldn't be surprised if Honda made all the US models a little bit slower though lol
eh, MT/C&D used to test JDM evos and STis awhile before they were imported

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I hope Honda can make the boost cut in sooner than the 2800rpms that it takes for my wife's 1.4 T Chevy Cruze to spool. Not to mention the T/C and stability control is ludacriously hampering ANY fun in the car whatsoever! Auto trans controller must have been programmed by a soccer mom too. :(

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I find it interesting that Honda has finally hit the boost market.. If we can make a honda engine reliable and fast, then WTF took them so long?!

And they need as much torque as they can get as most newer hondas are obese!

·
Registered
95 honda civic
73 Posts
I must have to do with strict law or restriction that are being given to the car manufactures about displacement. All the car manufactures are doing this. I know bmw and Mercedes are.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
^^

Well its about fuel economy. And because we need cars that can move out of their own way, theres no need for a 300hp 2.0L turbo for a smaller commuter car.

Hence why they made smaller dsplacement with a turbo to get MPGs and just about the same power as its fuel sucking NA counterparts. OK fuel sucking is a poor choice of words.

But a smaller eco car doesnt need a 1.5L with a turbo. We have a shitton of those builds on here pushing 200+ hp. So if you use a 1.0 or 1.2L with a turbo, It will put out the 130-140 target hp to push a small car and still retain MPGs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the uk we have a lot of 3 pot engine cars now, vw has a 1.4 tdi 90!hp I see more and more of them, as less cc and co2 is less Road tax each year as D16 engine in a car is $350!!! a year d15 is like 1/2 of it .if they do a 1L civic it may only be $50or free a year

1 - 20 of 45 Posts