Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over X-Mas break I'm going to pull the old 200k+ miles D16Z6 motor and change the Head Gasket, and all the rest of the gaskets to. I think I'm down to two kits to choose from

A.
Japan Engines

B.
FJ Distributors

What kit would you buy?

What else should I do? I don't really want to go over $200 on this project. If the head needs to be surfaced my friend can do it at his shop.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I don't know about is if the FJ kit has all the Cam and Crank seals. Looks like a smaller kit for more money. My buddy is working on his 3rd engine working with Japan Engine parts. He has no complaints so far.

1 complete rebuild
1 head gasket job
now he's doing a new head and more with most parts coming from Japan Engines

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
OK so along with with gasket kit and a new timing belt. What else should I do? Oil Pump?
if your replacing the timing belt do the water pump as well.

as for the oil pump, thats your call. it would need to be spec'd out.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "spec'd out" so maybe I don't want to do that. Anything else?
what i meant was to check the radial clearance between the pump rotor and also the outer rotor. thats how you check it's "specs".
if its within spec then your good to go. if not...replace.

you should get yourself a haynes manual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With just a stock car that won't be around for more then another 2-3 years do you think I need new head bolts?

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
With just a stock car that won't be around for more then another 2-3 years do you think I need new head bolts?
me personally...i wouldn't reuse headbolts.

but it's entirely up to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts