Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 civic (friends car) when you start the car and turn on the AC to max/full fan, the compressor turns on and runs continuously, never cycles off just runs for around 10-15 minutes. Then once it shuts off it NEVER comes back on until the car has been shut off a few hours. During the running time the AC gets ice cold, obviously when the compressor is not running, nothing happens.

When the compressor isn't running the low side pressure is maxed on my gauges, which is around 125-130 psi, and the high side is a little lower, maybe 115-120 psi range.

When the compressor is running the low side drops to around 45, and the high side goes up to about 160-165.

I am wondering if this is the low side pressure switch, but I cant find a switch on the low side unless it is buried behind the bumper or under the dash. The only switch I see is a 3 wire (red green black) switch on the high side line between the service port and the compressor.

It is also possible that it is a relay issue, maybe the relay is opening when it gets to hot or something.

Any thoughts or ideas about where I should start looking to fix this?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
From what I remember is the low side should be 30-45 and the high side 200-240.

Since it kicks on and then cuts off and never comes back.
I would say something is over heating.
If you cut the car off and then right back on does the ac work again? Or you have to wait till it cools down?

I know there is a temp switch build into the compressor

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AC wont immediately come back on if either the AC or car is turned off and then back on. What I don't get is why is it running indefinitely? It should be cycling on and off, but that isn't happening.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
45 on the low side is a lil high. My low side pulls down into the upper 20s. So I'm thinking your most likely low on freon.
Any AC system I have ever worked on cycles on and off faster if it is low on Freon. I have never seen a system that never cycles off if it is low on Freon. And wouldn't the low side be to low, not to high, if there wasn't enough?

If its an 08 shouldnt it be under honda warrenty still?
Not sure, maybe. However the car took a rock to the grill a while back that tore through one of the AC lines and was replaced at a body shop as part of the insurance claim. Doubt Honda covers work done by local body shops.

·
Registered
92 civic dx sedan
374 Posts
Not sure, maybe. However the car took a rock to the grill a while back that tore through one of the AC lines and was replaced at a body shop as part of the insurance claim. Doubt Honda covers work done by local body shops.

Since you have said this then I would defiantly check the freon charge. Do you have a vacuum pump? If so I would just evacuate the system add some leak detector and recharge to spec. Your compressor isn't cutting off because it's not pulling the low side down low enough to satisfy the switch in the accumulator which is normally around 25 or so on the low side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you have said this then I would defiantly check the freon charge. Do you have a vacuum pump? If so I would just evacuate the system add some leak detector and recharge to spec. Your compressor isn't cutting off because it's not pulling the low side down low enough to satisfy the switch in the accumulator which is normally around 25 or so on the low side.
I think you might be confused about how AC works.... The low side is (for lack of a better term) the supply side. You are basically saying the whole system is low, which is why my supply side is overfull, and why the compressor cant pull from the supply side, even though it is overfull...... That makes zero sense.

The low side being higher than normal is not a sign of low charge if the compressor is coming on.

That specifically says that the high side being low and the low side being high means the compressor is weak. That actually makes a lot more sense. If the compressor doesn't seal well enough it cant create enough of a pressure differential across the sides, meaning it is trying to constantly pump enough from the low to the high, but it cant quite get enough over past the leak back, so it keeps going until it finally gives up due to overheating or whatever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts